Analyst on FOX said iPhone will dissapoint

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
True, but with all of the usual price-downs on phones from the plan providers and manufacturers, if all phones were able to be used on all systems then most phones would not have the discounts, or the ETFs would be astronomical. Also, every company would have to use the same system...

That's what so cool about the iPhone...no discount and a two year commitment, BECAUSE retail would have to be $799 on the 8gb version to justify a carrier discount, so why not just stick them retail and gouge them on service (or lack thereof if you consider EDGE as opposed to 3G).:shake:

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, how dare a product work out of the box and be intuitive! The idiocy.

Watch out...the Mac is not that intuitive (anymore).

My dad used to love the old Macs (OS 8 and prior)...but he hadn't had new in many years. Then he up to a new one in the stores, and was baffled trying to do some simple things.

To my shock, he ended up going with an Windows XP PC...he said it was easier to him to use.

Not trying to start a raging debate, but there is a lot of variation in the word "intuitive".

I agree devices out of the box should be intutive and easy to use. iPods are a good example of this (assuming iTunes doesn't crash).

Phones should be intuitive too...Nokias are horrible...very hard to figure out...Moto's are decent, and Samsungs are very good.

The iPhone promises to be wonderful in this respect. I guess we will see.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site

My dad used to love the old Macs (OS 8 and prior)...but he hadn't had new in many years. Then he up to a new one in the stores, and was baffled trying to do some simple things.

To my shock, he ended up going with an Windows XP PC...he said it was easier to him to use.

Not trying to start a raging debate, but there is a lot of variation in the word "intuitive".

I agree devices out of the box should be intutive and easy to use. iPods are a good example of this (assuming iTunes doesn't crash).

Phones should be intuitive too...Nokias are horrible...very hard to figure out...Moto's are decent, and Samsungs are very good.

Good story. No raging debate here.

My inference was that it took me like 2 months of reading through forums to find a way to make my Treo 650 stable and usable. Not exactly working "right out of the box". :mad:

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Good story. No raging debate here.

My inference was that it took me like 2 months of reading through forums to find a way to make my Treo 650 stable and usable. Not exactly working "right out of the box". :mad:

No raging debate re: the 650 either! :)

Palm has not done a good job in that respect; I've owned nearly every Treo made, and didn't have a stable one until the 700WX, and even that is not as stable as I would like (but is rock solid compared to Palm OS).

I agree a phone should be easy to use out of the box, more so than other devices.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
On the other hand Mikec...

Gave my Grandmother my old G4 laptop and she loves it. Click on the dock for email she's there. She tried Windows and couldn't figure out what was Drive:C, Drive:E and so forth.

All relative, or in this case relatives.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Who cares what FOX said? Nancy Grace said the iPhone is the greatest thing that has happened to humanity since she came on cable TV. And Anderson Cooper said that when he has the iPhone strapped on his belt he will look like less of a tool. The girls from the View said they will replace their current phones, the iDiot, with the iPhone. Need I say more?

Nancy6 Face I call her! For someone who's supposedly educated with a law degree she talks like a high school dropout who never made it pass teh first grade!

Imo the iPhones will seel and like crazy cuz there are plenty ppl with money and more importantly CREDIT CARDS..whether they will be satisfied..that's an entirely different matter!

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Gave my Grandmother my old G4 laptop and she loves it. Click on the dock for email she's there. She tried Windows and couldn't figure out what was Drive:C, Drive:E and so forth.

All relative, or in this case relatives.

Eh. It's all relative...I still find the simplest system I've used that worked easily was DOS.

AS to the iPhone the one thign I hope more than anything else if that Apples venture will cause giants like Sony, Nokia (and even palm) to up their game 9they were becoming too settled) and come up with even better gadgets (and gimmicks) to compete if not surpass the iPhone.

ljcobb

Sep 10, 2006
timestocome.com
The analysts all said the iPod would be a dud too.

It's really slick and nice from what I saw in Apple's ad/demo.

But the Treo is a better deal and does more for less money.

The iPhone will raise the bar for smart phones and bring in a whole new bunch of people who are not used to using smart phones or having the internet in their pockets.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
remember, some people don't need their device to do more. if a Treo does more and costs less, great!

some people just want simplicity, ease of use, while not having to carry a large, heavy and somewhat outdated device.

it's ok to want more, it's also ok to want less. afterall, less is sometimes more.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
remember, some people don't need their device to do more. if a Treo does more and costs less, great!

some people just want simplicity, ease of use, while not having to carry a large, heavy and somewhat outdated device.

it's ok to want more, it's also ok to want less. afterall, less is sometimes more.
That makes a lot of sense to me. I guess I'm willing to have a device that does a few things really well, as opposed to a device that does a lot of things okay.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
That makes a lot of sense to me. I guess I'm willing to have a device that does a few things really well, as opposed to a device that does a lot of things okay.

But the few things they advertise as it doing really well better be good.

howiej1

Dec 10, 2004
Visit site
iPhone , FOX?

if you think Iphone will do it all, said mistake #1 is on ATT's slow network and also said no replacable battery and lack of a keyboard is another pitfall. Basically said it will sell well for 2 months then when all the shortcommings are known sales will fall.

Never trust Fox new analysts ! But......

If you read my othe posts you will see I am a big Apple gek and work in tech for 11 yrs. Got laid off two weeks ago though :(

Secondly, unfotunately ATT/Cingular, whatever they are today, has too much corporate power to have the iPhone sink, even though it does not yet support Exchange unless you setup IMAP. Having worked in corporate environments in SF and the Bay Area years. I can't tell you how many times I've heard CIO's, etc say they won't get big conracts with Sprint due to their poor CS and ploicies (not that Cingular is much beter)

After learning about spending way too much on broken and Non QA-D devices that are Gen 1, and in the POS ver 2 , I think I'll wait till Apple opens the iPhone for real OS X mini development, and does the right thing and licenses the OS, like MS did. I thought Palm licensed it's OS years ago ?? They need to act quick though, and get off the GSM ONLY ! thing. I know there are advantages to GSM, but honestly, CDMA does sound cleaerer and EVDO is faster than Edge by far. ATT/Cingular has just as many complaints as Sprint. The problem with the Treo is the OS , and of course the browser, along with the lack of a fix or rather the 1 yr wait for a "partial" fix, and now it seems they've disappeared.

I really hope Palm fixes this crap, or that Apple wakes up and makes an iPhone that works on CDMA and GSM, has a removable battery, and more storage capabilites, a flash for the camera and other cool stuff like they usually do. We shall se , hopefully in less than 5 yrs as they have said. Then again Sprint is really screwed up now and does not seem t want to listen to their customers.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2