Even newer details

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I would expect a 3G device soon but the fact there isn't one now has to be seen as disappointing. Early adopters will suffer from crippled devices.
If you had to guess, how long would you estimate a 2nd Gen iPhone with 3G capability?

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
But Mikec you have a Treo 700wx...

ZING-BAM-ZOOM Mikec,

Your argument that the iPHONE is to much geared towards entertainment and is more like a XBOX and will hinder people from being productive is unfounded.

What do you base it on your work habits? Then you should avoid it at all cost if having the ability to listen to music and watch videos will keep you from getting your work done.

Again most of the iPHONE haters who say it can not be used as a business tool make this statement based on their own work environment.

The iPHONE will be used by many as a business tool and they will love it, IMHO. We will have to wait several months to see if I am right though.

By the way Mikec do you have Sling Box on your 700WX and does it make you less productive. We won't tell your boss HONEST!

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
ZING-BAM-ZOOM Mikec,

Your argument that the iPHONE is to much geared towards entertainment and is more like a XBOX and will hinder people from being productive is unfounded.

What do you base it on your work habits? Then you should avoid it at all cost if having the ability to listen to music and watch videos will keep you from getting your work done.

Again most of the iPHONE haters who say it can not be used as a business tool make this statement based on their own work environment.

The iPHONE will be used by many as a business tool and they will love it, IMHO. We will have to wait several months to see if I am right though.

By the way Mikec do you have Sling Box on your 700WX and does it make you less productive. We won't tell your boss HONEST!

Not an iPhone hater, just a realist.

I pay for my Treo with Sling, so I can do whatever the heck I want.

And no, I don't watch at work...just a wee bit too busy.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I still say Christmas 2007 for the iPhone Ultra (3G) and iPhone Nano (small narrow screen).
It's that type of prediction that makes me pause and wonder if I should try to pick one up Friday. It would be really tough to rationalize spending another six bills six months later.... :hmm:

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
...because we all know how much work you can get done using the special features of an XBox.

How profound - people in business judge the iPhones utility as a business phone based on its features, find it lacking for the business environment, and are suddenly tagged as iPhone haters. I don't have much use for a NASCAR racer in my daily commute - is that why I hate NASCAR? ;)

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
KUPA stop Hate'n and start Particapat'n

...because we all know how much work you can get done using the special features of an XBox.

How profound - people in business judge the iPhones utility as a business phone based on its features, find it lacking for the business environment, and are suddenly tagged as iPhone haters. I don't have much use for a NASCAR racer in my daily commute - is that why I hate NASCAR? ;)

Kupe, if you think the way you do business is the ONLY way you should really see some one for help.

Because Kupe says the iPHONE is unusable as a business tool for him the rest of us should accept it and move on.

Kupe, we understand it won't fit your needs as a business professional BUT that does not mean it won't work well for others and even MAYBE make them more productive.

And hating NASCAR is your problem and in fact explains a lot of your anger.:D

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Because Kupe says the iPHONE is unusable as a business tool for him the rest of us should accept it and move on.
I merely quote the words of those wiser and more in the know. The way I do business requires two empty cans and a length of string so clearly the iPhone would improve my lot in business life.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
If you had to guess, how long would you estimate a 2nd Gen iPhone with 3G capability?

I'd say 6-9 months because I'm sure they will get some negative press and user feedback that the web is crippled if away from Wifi.

If I were dying to get an iPhone right now, I would sit on my hands and make sure I didn't somehow, just to see what happens between now and Christmas. How will the iPhone be in the wild? What will the plans be like? What will the user experience be like? Read the iPhone forums and see what the complaints are. See how other vendors respond with their own products. See what Palm can come up with. If by Christmas all doubts are crushed then but it. Let others be the guinea pigs and learn from their fortune/misfortune.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I'd say 6-9 months because I'm sure they will get some negative press and user feedback that the web is crippled if away from Wifi.

If I were dying to get an iPhone right now, I would sit on my hands and make sure I didn't somehow, just to see what happens between now and Christmas. How will the iPhone be in the wild? What will the plans be like? What will the user experience be like? Read the iPhone forums and see what the complaints are. See how other vendors respond with their own products. See what Palm can come up with. If by Christmas all doubts are crushed then but it. Let others be the guinea pigs and learn from their fortune/misfortune.

I'm not going to let my wife read your post :eek:

Seriously, I know what you're saying. If I get one, I could return it. That is, if I could convince myself to give it up if it is a solid, quality device. It's just the fear of a fast 2Gen Xmas release....where is the fortune teller when you need her??

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site

Good advice. Unfortunately, too many while not heed it...

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I'd hope and have some confidence that the iPhone released in Europe would have 3G. This is based on the argument 'there ain't much EDGE so it better have'. Jobs said Europe Q4 2007 and I would guess that US would get any updated version at the same time.

OTOH, HTC just released the Touch, a device aimed at much the same market segment and which lacks 3G, so perhaps there's an argument to be had that 3G isn't de rigueur for these high-end consumer devices, even in Europe.

YGIAGAM

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
I'd hope and have some confidence that the iPhone released in Europe would have 3G. This is based on the argument 'there ain't much EDGE so it better have'. Jobs said Europe Q4 2007 and I would guess that US would get any updated version at the same time.

OTOH, HTC just released the Touch, a device aimed at much the same market segment and which lacks 3G, so perhaps there's an argument to be had that 3G isn't de rigueur for these high-end consumer devices, even in Europe.

YGIAGAM

I think they are both just cheaping out a bit (or perhaps, development lead time is so long it wasn't practical) but I doubt that given even my lowly Blackjack (which was de rigueur six months ago) has 3G.

littlewaywelt

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
I think it's highly unlikely we'll see the next gen iphone inside of 9 months, maybe more memory sooner, but I suspect that would be it. It will probably be a year judging by their ipod intros.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2