Even newer details

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Youve given me the capabilities of wm6, but what DEVICE with wm6 out there has the ability to blow the iphone out of the water?

The HTC Advantage has a bigger, higher resolution screen, built-in GPS, HSDPA and a 8GB HDD. Thats just one example.

The HTC Kaiser has HSDPA, GPS, a nice keyboard, and an innovative tilt screen.

etc etc.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
That WAS the quesition. Go back and read. Show me something microsoft has done which trumps the iphone. I also asked for a list of devices with better specs AND form factor while we are at it, than the iphone.

You keep moving the goal posts, dont you. My HTC Touch is smaller than the IPhone, takes 4GB transflash cards, and has all the management functions inherent in WM6.

Surur

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
You keep moving the goal posts, dont you.

Surur

Oh wow, I REALLY pulled a fast one on you there, didnt I? :rolleyes: You folks are priceless.

Form factor IS what helps make smartphones or cellphones in general for that matter more appealing is it not? In the iphone`s case, it seems to possess that at this point. It appears to be much thinner than most devices out there, no? This is one way in which the iphone is more attractive in some ways than the thicker, bulkier bricks that many phones with wm6 onboard. For the general public, it is reasonable to say that form factor is one of the critical features which will make or break the success of a phone.

If you dont care about form factor, than buying a brick is really not a problem is it? But if form factor is high on the list of desires, than the iphone does appear to have an edge on many windows mobile devices at least in this category. There is room for improvement on the specs of the iphone, but my stance on it is that it is not a bad first phone for apple. I am looking forward to 2nd and 3rd generations.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Youve just described every type of phone. EVERY phone has its own benefits and drawbacks.. whether it runs windows 6 or anything else. For all the anti-apple ranting here, you might as well categorize that as microsoft hype and fanboy rantings, right? please.

No, I just showed you how nearly every phone trumps the iPhone in three ways. You aren't that dumb, are you? You ask to show how iPhone is trumped by WM and I showed you how it is trumped by nearly everything in three ways. Admit it.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Oh wow, I REALLY pulled a fast one on you there, didnt I? :rolleyes: You folks are priceless.

Form factor IS what helps make smartphones or cellphones in general for that matter more appealing is it not? In the iphone`s case, it seems to possess that at this point. It appears to be much thinner than most devices out there, no? Well than this is just another factor which makes the iphone more attractive in some ways than the thicker, bulkier bricks that many phones with wm6 onboard. For the general public, it is reasonable to say that form factor is one of the critical features which will make or break the success of a phone.

If you dont care about form factor, than buying a brick is really not a problem is it? But if form factor is high on the list of desires, than the iphone does appear to have an edge on many windows mobile devices at least in this category.

Is it? So once it fits your hand it's the best is it? ?I think you're confusing the improvements ppl demand on good products with appeal...for most ppl a device that has good form will not appeal if it stinks (see the fall of the razr). Also (imo) the form factor of the iPhone ( square adn brick itself) isn't that hot..it weight is on par with BBs, treos and such so it isn't much lighter and it's longer in the face. TBH if I wanted form the BB Curve loks the most hand-suitable phone out there (imo) but that is minor compared to function.

Smartphones have never had superior form factor (due to what they need to be "smart") so I'm not sure where you're heading with that.

I think you'd be better arguing that the increased screen real estate and multitouch will be it's most appealing features vs other phones!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

Form factor IS what helps make smartphones or cellphones in general for that matter more appealing is it not? In the iphone`s case, it seems to possess that at this point. It appears to be much thinner than most devices out there, no? This is one way in which the iphone is more attractive in some ways than the thicker, bulkier bricks that many phones with wm6 onboard. For the general public, it is reasonable to say that form factor is one of the critical features which will make or break the success of a phone.

If you dont care about form factor, than buying a brick is really not a problem is it? But if form factor is high on the list of desires, than the iphone does appear to have an edge on many windows mobile devices at least in this category. There is room for improvement on the specs of the iphone, but my stance on it is that it is not a bad first phone for apple. I am looking forward to 2nd and 3rd generations.

My HTC phone is smaller in volume than the IPhone. It will fit easier into my pocket. Do I win a prize now?

Surur

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
The HTC Advantage has a bigger, higher resolution screen, built-in GPS, HSDPA and a 8GB HDD. Thats just one example.

etc etc.

Surur

The HTC advantage does have some nice specs onboard, and its a clever way of integrating the keyboard with a tilt screen, but what do you think about holding that up to your ear?

The HTC Kaiser has an awful lot of goodies onboard as well, but there is still the problem of form factor. Form factor is the one recurring problem with most windows mobile devices, would you not agree?

The day that a company designs a sleek, thin smartphone with all of the features within the HTC phones will be the day you can safely say the iphone is beaten for good measure.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Does that have a keyboard?

Like the IPhone, it does not.

iphonevshtctouch.jpg

touch_razr.jpg

touch_razr_side.jpg

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site

Now we're getting there! Advantage is a very powerful device, no doubt. It's also absolutely massive. 359 g! It's not really the same sort of device as an iPhone at all.

Kaiser is more comparable. Still larger and heavier (160 g) though. Also has a screen half the resolution of an iPhone and, as does the Advantage, lacks the UI and hardware aesthetics (which I personally think are very much better). Also lacks iTunes integration and GBs of integrated storage.

That's not to say that the iPhone is better than the Kaiser or Advantage in every single way. Each of the three has its, ahem, advantages. But to my mind there is no single WM device that's better than the iPhone in all ways and there are probably no current WM phones that are bested by the iPhone in every department either. It's about the blend of what devices can do and how well they do those things. Silly to think otherwise really.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Like the IPhone, it does not.

iphonevshtctouch.jpg

Surur

I said VIRTUAL KEYBOARD. Try reading more carefully. So what you`re essentially saying is that your HTC TOUCH couldnt replace a smartphone with a keyboard. Do you think your phone would appeal to those who need a device that is both thin AND has a keyboard - virtual or otherwise? Would it appeal to those who need a keyboard for typing frequent emails or considerable data input on a regular basis? I dont think blackberry users would flock to it, let`s just put it that way.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Now we're getting there! Advantage is a very powerful device, no doubt. It's also absolutely massive. 359 g! It's not really the same sort of device as an iPhone at all.

Kaiser is more comparable. Still larger and heavier (160 g) though. Also has a screen half the resolution of an iPhone and, as does the Advantage, lacks the UI and hardware aesthetics (which I personally think are very much better). Also lacks iTunes integration and GBs of integrated storage.

That's not to say that the iPhone is better than the Kaiser or Advantage in every single way. Each of the three has its, ahem, advantages. But to my mind there is no single WM device that's better than the iPhone in all ways and there are probably no current WM phones that are bested by the iPhone in every department either. It's about the blend of what devices can do and how well they do those things. Silly to think otherwise really.

Absolutely right, marcol. Thank you. I think we can put an end to all this bickering with just your response right there. Right on the money. :thumbsup:

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
My HTC phone is smaller in volume than the IPhone. It will fit easier into my pocket. Do I win a prize now?
Lol. As we've discussed before it is (from memory) 1.1% smaller in volume than the iPhone. Use that cubic centimetre of pocket space wisely!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro