Even newer details

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
vista

Vista is actually pretty cool...I was a detractor until I tried it. Now I can't go back.

Sure you need RAM, but RAM is cheap, and it performs nicely.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
It's blatantly obvious that this device is not meant as a serious competitor for the Windows Mobile/Blackberry suite in the Enterprise world. It's a shame that the fact will be missed by the vast majority of critics out there.... Because really, that's what much of the criticism of the iPhone is like. Let's grossly misunderstand the target market of the device, then we'll make silly judgement calls about the devices usability and turn that into a critical review.

LHA20070125021746_OR.jpg

Yes, its blatantly obvious Jobs did not mean for us to compare his device to current smartphones....

Surur

HowardH

Jun 20, 2007
Visit site
LHA20070125021746_OR.jpg

Yes, its blatantly obvious Jobs did not mean for us to compare his device to current smartphones....

Surur

Don't confuse a feature comparison with a target market.

The Windows Mobile and Blackberry devices are primarily Enterprise devices. You can look at both the historical marketing and current trends to see that. There are plenty of "consumer" users who use these devices too, but primarily they're after the Enterprise end of the market.

The iPhone on the other hand, is an Internet enabled iPod that makes phone calls and bundles in other features.

Take a look at what's missing from the iPhone:
* Exchange Server support for OTA syncing
* Outlook syncing (even desktop based)
* Tactile keyboard
* etc.

So either Apple are aiming at the Enterprise market to directly compete against the Blackberry/WM devices on their primary turf and Apple just happened to have COMPLETELY dropped the ball and using my absolute prodigal genius and superlative earth shattering intelletct I've just single handedly blown their whole marketing scheme completely wide open and exposed the vulnerabilities that their army of service development staff didn't in years of product roadmaps. Or they're aiming for a multimedia device with phone capabilities aimed at the consumer market

I'm voting that it's primarily a consumer device.

That doesn't mean that the devices cannot be compared, nor that the devices cannot cross over. Just like you really CAN do our shopping in a Ferrari if you like. But these things should be considered before purchasing/reviewing such devices (or cars).

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I'm not sure I know what you mean by that. This is as much of an iPod than a iMac, moreso even, and Apple is definitely the leader in that market.

Why do you have so much ill-will towards Apple but like Windows so much? Of the two products and two companies I personally would prefer Apple any day, taking away price or necessities for my work. I hate Windows. I thought it might improve with Vista but it's far worse.

whoa...maybe we do think alike

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
So either Apple are aiming at the Enterprise market to directly compete against the Blackberry/WM devices on their primary turf and Apple just happened to have COMPLETELY dropped the ball and using my absolute prodigal genius and superlative earth shattering intelletct I've just single handedly blown their whole marketing scheme completely wide open ...

yeah, why would anyone one of us think they were going after RIM, MS etc.?

All this may change later this month when Apple plans to unveil the iPhone. According to a person close to Apple, the company is expected to fight for this market, currently dominated by players like BlackBerry's RIM, Palm Inc. and, increasingly, Nokia Corp. and Motorola.
Source: WSJ

You are really tricking yourself into believe this, aren't you? :shake:

HowardH:
CoyoteGenius.gif

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Now that it's apparent the iPhone is nothing but a high-end, pretty-faced toy, all former pretext of smartphoneness is suddenly forgotten. How convenient. How pod-like. :p

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Might I also add this "comparison" chart that was fought over a couple days ago, who was made by none-other: [URL="https://www.apple.com/newsroom/error.html#mn_p]Apple[/URL]?

Lets see, it's compared to a Blackjack, Treo 750, BlackBerry Curve (!), Nokia N95...

But it's our fault for perceiving the comparison as their target market.

There are legitimate points to made for and against the iPhone, your point falls into neither.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
well

Surur...I love to picture in response to Howie's assertion that Apple wasn't targeting "business devices"

Howie - you've been served, or as they say in Southpark, "you've been..."

Jobs is targeting BB, Treos, and whatever junk Nokia is making these days.

It seems Apple has made a wonderful PMP with some phone functionality, and locked it to one carrier.

Good for them.

But in the end, tactile keyboards rule the day.

HowardH

Jun 20, 2007
Visit site
Might I also add this "comparison" chart that was fought over a couple days ago, who was made by none-other: [URL="https://www.apple.com/newsroom/error.html#mn_p]Apple[/URL]?

Lets see, it's compared to a Blackjack, Treo 750, BlackBerry Curve (!), Nokia N95...

But it's our fault for perceiving the comparison as their target market.

Yes, quite clearly it is. Unless you're suggesting that you don't have the ability to think for yourself.

Let's take 30 second tour of Apple's iPhone page. Clearly you haven't done this yourself which goes some way to explained how badly you missed the point.
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...2F%2Fwww.apple.com%2Fiphone%2F&token=FZ7x0D2p

Key words that jump out:
Internet
iTunes
YouTube
Photos

In fact, there is absolutely NOTHING on that page that tries to hint at the iPhone being targeted at the Enterprise space.

Let's jump over to Palm's 700wx website.
http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo700w/index.html

Access email, the web and corporate networks on one of the fastest networks available in the U.S., Or relax and play your favorite music and videos right on your device. With these easy-to-use productivity devices in hand, you can stay connected3 on your terms.

Just looking at the opening web page for each device demonstrates the difference quite clearly.

Perhaps you've convinced yourself that the devices are direct comparison in the Enterprise space, but clearly they're not.

Thanks for playing though. :rolleyes:

And again, as I already mentioned, this does not mean that the devices cannot be compared against each other, but any comparison should consider that they are targeted at different markets.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Just slloooowwww even on what I would consider a fairly fast machine. I'm going to turn off all the bells and whistles very soon, I hope that helps. I just also don't think the same as Windows developers I guess. For a home machine I think Macs are much easier to deal with, and the integration of all the iApps is really nice. Just I let specs convince me Windows was a better value but I should have known better. The HP hardware is nice though.
Vista is a slow cow....moo!

HowardH

Jun 20, 2007
Visit site
yeah, why would anyone one of us think they were going after RIM, MS etc.?

Source: WSJ

HowardH:
CoyoteGenius.gif

Thanks. Compared to you I quite clearly am a Genius.

The WSJ wrote the article. Not Apple. Rather than taking snippets out of the article and presenting them out of context to attempt to support your argument, I'd suggest reading the article in its entirety and making some effort to understand it. The gist of the article is quite clearly that there is a CONSUMER expectation to bring the iPhone into to Enterprise space. Not that APPLE are clearly planning to invade the space and are solidifying their plans as we speak.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Perhaps you've convinced yourself that the devices are direct comparison in the Enterprise space, but clearly they're not.
Way to go ignoring the quote in the WSJ from Apple saying they are going after that market. Just ignore those other comparisons, convenient.

You really are full of yourself and are clearly overcompensating.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I guess it detracts from the technological breakthroughs of the device. Also, I don't think you'll find one at your local Toys'R'Us or KayBee Toys ;)

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Way to go ignoring the quote in the WSJ from Apple saying they are going after that market. Just ignore those other comparisons, convenient.

You really are full of yourself and are clearly overcompensating.

Maybe they WILL be going after the market....with further revisions or implementations? Obviously, they will need a bit more to lure you guys over. :eek:

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Toy...a bit harsh...no?
Sorry - my interpretation for sure. In my hands it would be a toy. I'm sure many purchasers will feel this is the most serious business device they've ever held...and the $600 price tag will be their proof! :evil: Like the PSP! :cool:

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I guess it detracts from the technological breakthroughs of the device. Also, I don't think you'll find one at your local Toys'R'Us or KayBee Toys ;)

What breakthrough? The sensor thing is nice, but the visual voicemail is already on the market via CallWave for the desktop, and I know Avaya is set to offer it on nearly any handset (via carriers). Apple is evolving already existing functionality from other devices, there is nothing revolutionary except the marketing. I'm saying this as a prospective customer, so I have no axe to grind. It just seems to be a more elegant but not really more functional phone. In many areas it is actually less functional so it is hard to give it that 'revolutionary' tag. It is no Fidel Castro.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal