Even newer details

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

TreoBK,

People can only respond to what you type.

you said "keyboard" in the post the surur replied to, and then got huffy, said "I said VIRTUAL KEYBOARD", and then said he couldn't read (implying he was dumb).

I think you ouught to chill a bit, considering you are making the errors. Surur is just responding.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
for those who must have GPS on their handheld, is it because your cars do not equipped with it?

GPS is just the next natural step in the technological advance of a handheld device. Its not that it must have it, but after it has everything else (HSDPA, Keyboard, WIFI, nice camera) what else are you going to add?

You may as well ask if people who want a nice camera on their handheld do not have stand alone cameras.

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
for those who must have GPS on their handheld, is it because your cars do not equipped with it?

It's because some of us walk, take trains and airplanes, rent cars, etc. It's because many phones in the iPhone price range have this option.

Dim-Ize

Jul 7, 2005
Visit site
My wife's Honda Odyssey has built-in GPS and my Mercedes doesn't. I love the nice large display for her system. But, I like having a mobile sysem too. It helps when traveling in a vehicle that doesn't belong to you. Pprtable systems can also be used for trails, hiking, camping, biking, etc.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Would GPS be nice, sure it would. For some who travel often, I'm sure it's a necessity. It's really cool to have, but it isn't on my MUST HAVE list for a cell phone. For some, I'm sure it is....

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
My wife's Honda Odyssey has built-in GPS and my Mercedes doesn't. I love the nice large display for her system. But, I like having a mobile sysem too. It helps when traveling in a vehicle that doesn't belong to you. Pprtable systems can also be used for trails, hiking, camping, biking, etc.

Your Benz doesn't have GPS? How ghetto! :D

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site

I could have had the GPS in my Honda Pilot, but I HAD to get the DVD entertainment package :rolleyes:

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
For all the apple haters, show me something microsoft has done which trumps the iphone.
The iPhone is a device, Microsoft is a software company. This is like asking someone to show you what computer Microsoft has built that trumps the iMac. I only write this because you seem to be a bit naive on the subject.

However, WM devices trump the iPhone all to pieces. Push email (and calendar) from corporate servers is a clear trump. One-handed use is a clear trump. removable battery is a clear trump. One-handed keyboarding by feel (rather than two-handed typing by visual confirmation) is a clear trump. User memory expandability is a clear trump. On the entertainment side, a lack of broadband by the iPhone pretty well eliminates music streaming and video playback (a la slingbox or the like) - yet another clear trump. The sheer volume of third party software is a clear trump. Trump after trump after trump.

To be fair, iPhone gets a clear trump on prettiness - it a very pretty device. Call it the "Blonde Bombshell" of mobile devices - very nice to look at - very smooth interface (if you don't mind two-handed interfaces). :cool: Just don't try to engage it intellectually. ;)

Playing music, taking pictures, calling people, reading email, all pretty much a wash.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Would GPS be nice, sure it would. For some who travel often, I'm sure it's a necessity. It's really cool to have, but it isn't on my MUST HAVE list for a cell phone. For some, I'm sure it is....
My car has GPS and I really like it, but my car is available in my local area. When I'm traveling to a new area (or simply walking around a local area that's new to me), a built-in GPS is a nice thing to have - like Cingular blackberries have.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I actually don't even have GPS..or DVD in my car..I could, but I find them a bit of extravagance rather than need..maybe when I strike it rich lol! Or it could be i travel in a 50-100 mile radius daily that I know like the back of my hand :D

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
For all the apple haters, show me something microsoft has done which trumps the iphone.
You didn't ask about "device", as you claimed. You asked for "something" which trumps the iPhone. If that excludes operating systems, that's certainly not stated in the original question.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
It's because some of us walk, take trains and airplanes, rent cars, etc. It's because many phones in the iPhone price range have this option.

ya, i could definitely see how Braj could gain benefit from it when traveling on a train or a plane.

:confused: :hmm:

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
ya, i could definitely see how Braj could gain benefit from it when traveling on a train or a plane.

:confused: :hmm:

You eventually get off the train or plane and deal with unfamiliar cities and have to navigate your way through them. How often do you go on business trips? Do you get paid to post nonsense because I can't imagine anyone doing that for free or on purpose. "We don't want 3G, we don't want GPS, what use are they? If the iPhone is lacking in some way let's turn it into an advantage instead."

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
whatever you say pal

"we don't want 3G, we don't want GPS" are those your words? surely are not mine. i think that the product will sell without 3G and without GPS just as all other products out there have successfully done so (Treos included). what is so funny is how some of you make it out to be a requirement. if it doesn't have it you say it's a failure. well, come June 29th and for the near term you will see that it really isn't a requirement. that is unless 15-20mm in unit sales can be considered such.

i've been on enough business trips in my life and guess what, i found my way each and every time without GPS, countless millions have done so too.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Who said it is going to be a failure? I'm saying it is a disappointment for me and I will be looking to buy one only if some things get added.

Between the no 3G, GPS, or hardkeys, and being a closed system, I couldn't justify the price right now. But in a year when I'm ready to upgrade, maybe some of these will be addressed, and maybe I'll get one. If not maybe I'll just get a new iPod. I frankly have more faith in Apple than I have in Palm to make what I want. I have high hopes actually. My comments about the iPhone aren't anti-iPhone but apologists like yourself take any reasonable, objective view of the device as slander.

I'm not analyzing this from a marketing pass/fail will-it-be-successful POV, but do I think it would suit me? Right now it is a cool toy but I also need my phone for work.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Advantages of handheld GPS:

1) You can use it when not in your car. The prospect of never being lost and always being able to find a destination provided you have some basic address information is quite nice.

2) AFAIK the handheld software is much more flexible. I'm thinking in particular of the ability to add POI and specifically the speed camera database from these guys:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras#

Pretty much an essential for me. If you're not in the UK, your mileage (and the chance of being snapped doing it) may vary.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73