new iPhone tour posted

peter_x

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Four things I didn't see on the video:

1) in the phone, the ability to dial the "+" symbol (for international dialing)

The + symbol is not dialed, it is there for you to know where to insert your international access code. Of course, it is useful for storing a number with that symbol.

Dim-Ize

Jul 7, 2005
Visit site
Every phone being manufactured now has either GPS or other location aware services. This includes the iPhone. It is already there.

I guess I should have been more clear - meaning, GPS with satellite and navigation software loaded on the handheld (allowing a Sirf III reciever in the handheld and running software like TomTom). I'm not interested in the feature of my carrier to triangulate me. Although, it is reported to assist with a better coverage signal and has some emergency 911 ability. Thanks big brother for the spin.

I would like a GPS reciever built in that allows me to turn it on or off at my liesure and work with GPS software like TomTom. That's what I meant.

I don't believe that this is in the iPhone at launch.

PalmFive

May 23, 2007
Visit site
I gotta say.

It's impressive. No, I'm not buying one -- yet. I'm a Windows dude, I don't have enough time to deal with Mac stuff.

It's an awesome device, I hope it pushes other (Palm) companies.

Some drawbacks I noticed right away:
1) I can't see how I use Office docs. Yes, I could do the Google thing. But I don't do Google. How do I copy PDF and Word docs to it?

2) No removeable battery

3) Can you install third party apps? All the little apps for my Treo are useful. Also, I love Datebk.

4) AT&T sucks. Sorry, their network is known in the telecom biz as being ancient.

It's a way cool device. If I didn't care about Office, connecting to my servers, apps, and I didn't know any better, I'd be all over it.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Crow is a tasty treat for those with the bitterest of dispositions! I would sururly recommend it. :D ;)

Iphone will make for a giant success :thumbsup:

naysayers will make for quiet retreats :eek: :confused: :(

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Nice demo.

But a couple things..."fastest keyboard on any phone"...um faster than a treo or BB? Doubtful. (But I would love to be proven wrong).
I believe this is where I step in. At least this is the way it has worked in the past (old habits are hard to break).

To start with, Apple has had the good sense of moving the keyboard up from the very bottom edge of the phone. Placing the keyboard at the very bottom edge of the phone is required when you are trying to leave as much room for the screen as possible but if the keyboard IS the screen you have more freedom.

So with this in mind, lets consider everybody's main concern: using the device with one hand. In doing so this forces you to type and navigate with your thumb. Correct? I don't see many typing with their little pinky finger entirely wrapped around under the device and coming over the other side with the hardiest and handiest dexterity. I believe you are following me so I will continue.

So in grasping the phone and typing and navigating with your thumb, you will note that your thumb hangs over the phone from the side (depending on which hand you use, this would be the left side or the right side)? unless you have the desire to rotate your phone to a horizontal position to try and type (then it would be the bottom side - err, well once it is rotated, I suppose it would still be the left side or right side, but you get the picture). Yeh, I know, this would be stupid and doesn't make much since. Nobody types on their keyboard with it rotated 90 degrees; makes for a funny picture though.

Back to the thumb typing. So we left off with the thumb hanging over the side of the phone typing over the keyboard which is located at the very bottom of every, ummm.. "smart" phone made. But what happens when you try to hit the 6 or 7 keys in that lower inside corner of which your thumb joint overhangs.

Your thumb loses its nimble movement and the phone becomes unwieldy. If you are truly nimble, you are forced to type using the side of your thumb at the very least; again, losing any sort of sprightly pace.

It's little wonder that PALM has been so indecisive about those bottom row keys in the corner. Exchanging key character positions 3 times (or was it 4) over the last few years.

Anyway... Apple's solution was to make every key just as easy to hit as the rest simply by moving the keyboard up into the area that is in the natural range of movement for the thumb; WHICH, is what you would be using for one-handed use, as discussed earlier.

So now we are looking at two improvements made to the iPhone over every other smartphone available simply by moving the keyboard's "up-to-now standard" position.

1. Improved one-handed use
2. Improved keyboard ergonomics/ease of use

But there is more.
You will also note that your thumb is bigger around than your other typing fingers. Again, if you are using the phone with one hand you will be typing with your thumb from the lower corners. Apple has taken this into account and expanded the keys vertically to give your thumb a more effective surface area in the manner that it hits the screen when hanging over the phone from that usual lower corner. It seems that "smartphone" manufacturers may have picked up on this because keys do look more tall than wide but none do it to the degree that Apple does because again, they are looking to keep the keyboard confined as low as possible to provide more room for the screen.

In addition, and this may be the most important part, Apple also provides a visual feedback. This is something that is extremely helpful when looking at those miniscule keyboards (and don't try to tell me you type on a phone keyboard without looking. These keys are so small that there is no way possible for a human to keep their finger orientation while moving even at a moderately slow speed from one key to press and then to the next without looking. Can't be done. You need to look at a phone's keyboard. Anyone that argues otherwise is ignoring reality.

Back to why this visual feedback is helpful. Quite simple really. Your thumb is big (and finger too for that matter) and it obscures 4 or 5 keys at a time as it hovers over and approaches the next target key. That is until Apple built in a visual feedback that springs upward from the letter most directly beneath your thumb or finger. This gives you assurance that the correct letter will be typed. If the unintended character does not spring forth from where your eye and finger are pointing, guess what? You have the split second timing and dexterity to count on that is awarded to any functioning human. The keyboard character is not registered as being typed until your finger is pulled off the screen. You have the chance to roll or nudge of scoot (whatever you have the knack for) that thumb or finger over just a hair to get to the proper key and get the proper visual character to spring up.

This is the kind of feedback a miniscule keyboard needs. Not one in which your finger actually slows as it progresses through the pressing of a key. Not one in which your finger actually slows as you try to sense by touch if you are typing in the exact area required because you cannot see your finger tip hitting the key.

Part of what adds to the smoothness of typing on the iPhone is recognized when you realize that you do not actually need to fully depress a key for that clicking sensation or feedback. Well, that and the fact that you can actually have more than one finger in the process of entering text at once. That is to say more than one finger can be registered on screen at any given time (technically, I believe 10 is the limit - seems quite appropriate since all we have are 10 fingers anyway); so you can be entering one character with your left hand while touching the next with your right - yes, all at the same time.

I like how they give tell you to look at your phone while driving.... Opps!
???
The video I saw didn't say anything about driving.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
So now we are looking at two improvements made to the iPhone over every other smartphone available simply by moving the keyboard's "up-to-now standard" position.

1. Improved one-handed use
2. Improved keyboard ergonomics/ease of use
By your own description you have just declared the Moto Q's keypad the best keyboard ever. Its keyboard is not at the bottom, thumb doesn't cover 5 keys, small "nipples" on D(5) and J key (for tactile, non-visual orientation), tactile feedback, aural feedback (if desired), visual feedback (if needed). I personally feel the Moto Q is far from the best keyboard around, but using your criteria I guess it is. That you somehow think the iPhone's "keyboard" is just proof you haven't used the Q's.

I would call your propaganda "spin," but spin is usually at the very least clever and more often an effective tool. Your rather lengthy, faith-based post on how a non-tactile, eyes-on-required, visual-only "keyboard" is somehow better than the real deal is simply bizarre.