Online retailer promises unlocked iPhones

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9733192-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

One of the most popular questions regarding the Apple iPhone asks whether Apple will sell unlocked models. So far, the consensus has been that such a move is unlikely, but much to our amazement, we noticed today that PureMobile.com, a online cell phone retailer, is touting unlocked iPhones on its Web site. It appears to be the 8GB version of the phone in black (is there any other color?).

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
How will the visual voice mail work without being on AT&T's servers?
Simple, it won't.

This is just people making promises they won't be able to keep. There will be no unlocked iPhones and Apple won't let someone else sell them for long (and neither will AT&T who spent how many millions to get the exclusive?). I'm willing to bet it has an authentication system through Apple's servers...

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
This is just people making promises they won't be able to keep. There will be no unlocked iPhones and Apple won't let someone else sell them for long (and neither will AT&T who spent how many millions to get the exclusive?). I'm willing to bet it has an authentication system through Apple's servers...
According to the Boston Globe today iPhone customers will be able to cancel their contracts with AT&T for $175:

http://www.boston.com/business/pers...canceling_iphone_service_early_will_cost_175/

I'm not familiar with how this is done in the US, but might one expect that the phone would be unlocked as a part of this process?

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
My theory is that these phones will be "locked" to AT&T if you want to use the phone functionality, but that you may not be required to activate it all. I have a feeling that you'll be able to walk out of an Apple store with one without it being activated at all. And I also predict that most of the non-phone related functionality will be active in this non-activated state. If I'm right, it will be interesting to see how many people choose to buy/use one in this manner.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
If you watch those demos closely, you have to believe that a lot of the processing is backoffice on AT&T's big iron. You may be able to go to other GSM carriers (I'd bet there will definitely be a way to use overseas for voice at least - who can afford AT&T's data roaming rates in the first place), but a lot fo the funtionality will disapppear (other than iPod which is local).

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
Yeah, but it would also be the only iPod with a large (compared to other iPods), widescreen with WiFi. And the LifeDrive sold for $400-500 when it came out, right?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
my opinion: Apple stores will not be programming the phones and writing up contracts (at&t), that is unless they instituted in-store point of sale systems to do so.....i'd bet money on it that they haven't.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
my opinion: Apple stores will not be programming the phones and writing up contracts (at&t), that is unless they instituted in-store point of sale systems to do so.....i'd bet money on it that they haven't.

I agree...Apple does not want to be in the phone provisioning business.

They will sell it to you and tell you to call AT&T to activate.

firedog341

Aug 25, 2005
Visit site
I agree...Apple does not want to be in the phone provisioning business.

They will sell it to you and tell you to call AT&T to activate.

I wouldn't doubt that the Apple stores will sell it HIGHER than the AT&T stores. You would then get a rebate to bring the price back to 499/599 once you activated it and signed a 2 year deal with AT&T.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711