iPhone fakery - looks smaller with GIANT hands

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I am using both. The Universal goes into my bag, and the Touch in my shirt pocket.

Surur

The Universal fits in your bag??? :)

I have one (Universal) also, which I bought because att it was the only device with a cooked wm6 ROM, so I had to try it. Actually love the 640x480, but hate the size. Hate the no-3G in the US also, but I bought it cheap so its all good. I would definitely try the iPhone before the Touch though, the MS onscrren keyboard leaves a lot to be desired...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Its nice, but not half as cool as that IPhone tour just posted. Its pretty functional, and it does help with one handed use. It works on all scrollable pages. The device is pretty small (but the 2.8 inch screen is standard size for near all WM devices at the moment) so all parts of the screen can be reached with one hand. I found a Tengo keyboard plug-in which works pretty well for one-handed text entry, but grabbing the stylus is easier still.

Its a nice device, and the size is really really impressive. Battery life is very good. I'll be enjoying it for a while to come. The IPhone however looks pretty nice. Its no good as a smartphone, but will make a lovely toy.

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Its nice, but not half as cool as that IPhone tour just posted. Its pretty functional, and it does help with one handed use. It works on all scrollable pages. The device is pretty small (but the 2.8 inch screen is standard size for near all WM devices at the moment) so all parts of the screen can be reached with one hand. I found a Tengo keyboard plug-in which works pretty well for one-handed text entry, but grabbing the stylus is easier still.

Its a nice device, and the size is really really impressive. Battery life is very good. I'll be enjoying it for a while to come. The IPhone however looks pretty nice. Its no good as a smartphone, but will make a lovely toy.

Surur

TenGo thumb is awesome, I posted that in every hermes forum I post in and no one seemed to jump on though. More software lke that could do wonders for wm non-treo devices

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Its nice, but not half as cool as that IPhone tour just posted.
Agree about the tour (not the toy bit :)). There's never been a device that looked as nice... on the web at least.

One more OT... Have you worked out what sort of screen is on the Touch?

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I love the line in the tour "within a week you'll be typing faster on the iPhone than any other (phone) keyboard.

Somehow I doubt faster than the Treo or BB.

But it's a nice demo, no doubt.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
I was struck by the sleek headphones - if that tiny gadget on his right handles audio playback and phone mic, it is a nice improvement over most...

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
So you compose email and text messages with one hand? I suppose you could, but unless you were an amputee, it's a Helluva lot easier to use two.

Edit: I should add entering text period, is much quicker with two hands. Memos, Calendar info, Contacts, etc...

I've texted with one hand before. Two hands is better but if one hand is full and someone wants a response, what're you gonna do?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
i agree...but anyone who does type with great frequency and uses a slideout device for such is foolish in my opinion. or like i said, they'd rather have the fumbling/bumbling experience in order to take advantage of a larger screen.

Advantages of slideouts:

People with big hands/fingers can use them without fumbling/bumbling. The fuller size and spaced keys are better.

The widescreen mode helps some people see better. Not everyone has sharp or 20/20 eyesight.

Typing with 2 hands on a full keyboard is indeed better if you have to send important emails. Better to be accurate, than send short choppy messages that look unprofessional.

Although I prefer not to always slide-out myself, I can see the benefits.

Frenzytom#CB

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
Apple should be developing some sort of cool voice to text recognition software in the future. Kind of like a virtual secretary.

I wonder whether you can type in landscape mode and whether that is easier for limb-gifted individuals?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Advantages of slideouts:

People with big hands/fingers can use them without fumbling/bumbling. The fuller size and spaced keys are better.

The widescreen mode helps some people see better. Not everyone has sharp or 20/20 eyesight.

Typing with 2 hands on a full keyboard is indeed better if you have to send important emails. Better to be accurate, than send short choppy messages that look unprofessional.

Although I prefer not to always slide-out myself, I can see the benefits.

with all those benefits why not own one? maybe it's because you have small hands, sharp eyesight, and don't send important emails?

like i said "they're great for the person who has to type lengthy emails on an infrequent basis."

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

I'm surprised there is no voice dialing function. Most phones have had this for a while (some better than others).

I bet this comes in the next version.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I'm still looking at the 8525. I have small hands, BUT need glasses or contacts, and I do send a lot of emails. The wide screen and full keyboard might help. We will see. You know me, I try almost everything, LOL!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
They are for the most part. Business related. I'd say 98% are.

So you'll be at the Apple or ATT store on Friday to test the phone? I wonder if I should wait due to possible big crowds.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
I'm still looking at the 8525. I have small hands, BUT need glasses or contacts, and I do send a lot of emails. The wide screen and full keyboard might help. We will see. You know me, I try almost everything, LOL!

Take this with a huge teaspoon of salt, but I just tried, and returned, the 8525 that AT&T had on the $99 sale two weeks ago. I am back to my Blackjack again and much happier. The 8525 is a nice PDA, with a spacious keyboard, but it just was not a convenient Phone/PDA. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the smallness of the Blackjack, but it's also an interface thing. The Blackjack has become a great one-handed device when you blend the jog dial/launcher, and keyboard. I always felt like I was fumbling for the stylus to do anything on the 8525.

What I missed above all was from the home screen simply typing the first few letter of a name and up popped the correct contact list to call. No need to launch contacts and type or scroll for a name. Granted, the 8525 was snappier than the Blackjack (can't beat that 400mhz processor) and web pages looked better on the larger screen; but 3G was equally as fast on the Blackjack. After a couple of days,I found myself swapping the SIM card back to the Blackjack for good lengths of time and then swapping back to force myself to give the 8525 a chance.

If you really like the 8125, you'll love the 8525; but I'll take the Blackjack any day. Sorry for the OT rant.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Just bought a Blackjack. :D
So maybe I made the right choice? We'll see. People are selling 8525s for under $400 now. I could still try one and resell it. 8525 definitely qualifies as a PDA with a phone more than the other way around, LOL! I knew that from trying the 8125.

$99 would have been great though! Of course I bet they wanted a contract extension.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal