iPhone & youTube

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
We don't know if the iPhone is upgradable to 3g via 'unlocking' the feature when the network is mature enough (analagous to the wifi 'n' thing). It might be unlikely, but until someone opens one (ahh...technology gore!) we won't know.
FCC approved only GSM/EDGE, Wifi and bluetooth with no indication of 3G frequencies. Some stuff is confidential, including the 'radio schematic', but is it really likely that the FCC would keep 3G completely off the public record if it was tested? I guess it could be that, as you say, it is there to be unlocked and didn't as a future feature require testing at the same time as the rest. Seems a bit of a stretch though.

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=268052&fcc_id='BCGA1203'

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I seriously, seriously doubt that the iPhone has 3G capability. The FCC would have to test that, which should be public record. I can't imagine them working around that one, but who knows I guess...

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
FCC approved only GSM/EDGE, Wifi and bluetooth with no indication of 3G frequencies. Some stuff is confidential, including the 'radio schematic', but is it really likely that the FCC would keep 3G completely off the public record if it was tested?
Very good point that you and Pattycerts make and to be honest, I have no idea :confused:

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
iTunes requires QuickTime.

I have Sunrise, Camino, Safari, Flock, OmniWeb, Opera, Shiira, Netscape and Firefox.

Safari is 6.3 MBs
Sunrise is 10
Camino is 39.6
Flock is 53.8
OmniWeb is 27.9
Opera 24.9
Shiira is 16.6
Netscape is 52.6
Firefox is 50.4

Now, keeping in mind that all applications elements are packaged in these containers for each app, Safari is rather small and nimble. In fact, it is the smallest bowser available - even when compared to others on that list that use WebKit.

Edit: Forgot the 5 year old Internet Explorer - 20MB

Safari is optimized for the Mac, just like IE on Windows.

Now let's just agree that Opera is the best one out there, and be done with it. ;-)

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com

I have Sunrise, Camino, Safari, Flock, OmniWeb, Opera, Shiira, Netscape and Firefox.

Safari is 6.3 MBs

Edit: Forgot the 5 year old Internet Explorer - 20MB

Hahahaha

Funny, I just installed safari on one of my work computers (xp) lst week, and used it maybe 5 times. I love it actually, for loading web pages there's nothing faster. The interface could be better IMO, but I digress. The program files/safari folder is 27.5 MB.

Where you get that number from is totally beyond me.

EDIT: I should also add that the firefox folder is 25.9 MB.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I like it as well, though it would be nice to change the interface a bit. One plus side is that if it does well Mac support by web developers should improve. That would be nice.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
I Was Wrong!

I WAS WRONG! In the post below, I was told by a rep that my FAN account would get me a 40% reduction on the iPhone. No, it's worst. If you buy an iPhone, you will lose your FAN Account status and discounts. If you want an iPhone, you must purchase a separate consumer account.

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!
iPhone business users won't pay $600.00 or $500.00 to walk in the walled gilding (or gilded) garden. We will get our usual 40% discount. I think that works out to $360 and $300 respectively. This does not include discounts AT&T /Cingular might offer for 2-year contracts. However, I am not sure the business plan discount and contract discount can be combined. Anyone know the answer to that question?

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Archie,

Not sure how Apple gets praise for pushing thier own solution for their device. Sure it makes business sense to have the content.

As for "single-handedly upping the quality" - that only applies to iPhones, not the rest of the devices that use YouTube. If Apple has suddenly gotten YouTube to switch to H.264 for everything, and I could see it on my PC, then I might give a little golf clap.

H.264 was created by Apple...um I thought it was the MPEG-4 consortium. Thanks for dismissing all the others that contributed to the built-upon work.

And thanks to Apple, they don't even do true AVC, but their own version. That's why Nero AVC and Quicktime are not fully compatible (you need to custom create the container to play in Quicktime - lame).

I love h.264 - I just wish it was a standard-standard, like mp3, as opposed to mp4, which seems to be a standard-proprietary.

As for using less processor, you are dead wrong. (again, you don't understand the issue of efficiency of the codec and the processing cycles needed to interpret.

(shades of the SDK/API/OS discussion...)

H.264 is very efficient for size and quality. It great...but it takes more time to encode because of it's complexity...and it takes more processor time to decode (play) than other formats. (Again, as processors get more powerful, this issue will be lessened, but it still exists today).

Ever try playing those HD trailers on Apple? The high-end ones choke even the most power laptops (maybe okay on desktop). They use a lot of cycles.

You get 7 hours (which I think remains to be proven in the real world) becuase of 1.) the battery, and 2.) the bitrate/quality of the encoding.

Apple is a HARDWARE company (just like Sun), and everything in thier financials shows it to be such. The iPhone proves it more than ever! They aren't selling iPhone OSX to other vendors...nor are they selling AppleTV OSX to other vendors.

This is not to say a hardware company is a bad thing, it's just calling a spade a spade.

As for number of posts, no doubt the iPhone has the hype buzz going...just like the Treo 600 and 650 did, although on a much grander scale.

It's fun to see the excitement.

Spot on..

A software company doesn't sell its software tied in to its hardware..only hardware-oriented companies do that. Microsoft is a software company. Apple is a hardware one that realised it could make that hardware more attractive by using software. It's why it still has only 5% of the market...ppl who can't afford brand names (whether HP, Dellor AApple) can always take a generic and put any software but AApple's on it (Linux, Windows, O/S etc). If you can't afford Apple hardware you do not get their software.

As to number of posts on the iphone forum it was like that with the 680 too..ppl were wetting their pants on when the Fedex guy would turn up...this happens with ALL new anticipated devices esp a week or two before release :confused:

And with respect to codecs right again - codecs are useful for how small they COmpress ratherr than how quickly the DECompress. H.264 9which as stated Apple didn't "invent") is great for storage and sharing (real purpose of codecs) but it is intensive to decode. Personally I still love xvid!

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site

WHy is what I want to know! Why does something that started out mainly for music require quicktime? Maybe because they added video to it for podcasts and their store 9which i ahte - keeps usgessting purchases to me when i just want to use my own stuff)?

Fine..but then why have quicktime at all?? why not just have one app (iTunes) and cll it iMedia and let it do both as it cn do now?? Never liked it and I use winamp, quictime lite and mediaplayer classic...

I just tolerate it on macs cuz it's built in...but I hate it just like I hate WMP on Windows! Bloatware.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
I don't want an iPhone that bad. It's no secret, I want an iPhone, but Cingular and Apple are milking this hype. You must sign up for 2-year contract with no discount on the phone. If you are a business user, you lose all your FAN account privileges. That's a bitter, bitter, bitter pill. Can't do it.
So basically you prove to them you are not a business by buying a consumer phone?

Surur

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73