Office docs on an iPhone?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
This is one thing I haven't heard debated much. Will the iPhone ever get any native spreadsheet and word doc apps? Will you be able to use Google docs with Safari (which IMO would probably be as good at least as Docs to Go, with plusses and minuses on both platforms).

This seems like a necessary item for business success. Being locked out of all attachment viewing you receive in Mail would make a laptop a necessity on otherwise very light business trips. Sometimes I have little flights where all I needed was my Palm because I could bring all my docs with me, reference them, and easily havd them off to others.

Maybe Keynote will make it to the iPhone?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
when you get a doc file, you will save it at google.com and use safari to read it/edit it.

what else you need?

So then what is the procedure? Get mail on device, save the attachment locally, upload to Google.com, then open? That seems a bit cumbersome :(

Maybe Google could make a Google Apps attachment handler widget to automate this? Or Apple has the Automator tool in OS X, if they could ise that to create a script to automate this it would help. Basically something mre elegant.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
This seems like a necessary item for business success. Being locked out of all attachment viewing you receive in Mail would make a laptop a necessity on otherwise very light business trips. Sometimes I have little flights where all I needed was my Palm because I could bring all my docs with me, reference them, and easily havd them off to others.

Using your logic in toto, Blackberry should have failed years ago because it couldn't play MP3's for multiple generations.

Yet, another false dichotomy

If there is any integrity to the questions you pose, you must be consciously aware that they cannot and will not be effectively answered until the device is released plus time to fully exhaust its possibilities. Otherwise, this is just another innuendo and rumor thread. The internet needs more of those, right?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Who said anything about the iPhone failing? I'm asking how attachments will be handled. That is a legitimate question. Please go away if you don't have anything positive to contribute. I don't need to be harrassed by you.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Ummm ... I did qualify my statement by using 'in toto'. Maybe I should've put it in bold? There's no harassment here, only reality. No problems, only solutions. :thumbsup:

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Very legitimate question if your main use is business, but also want the "fun" side.

If that's the case then the same question/expectation would be applied to every cell phone available that has data access. Because iPhone, the entry version, has not billed itself as an enterprise-class email machine, the question can only arrive at one conclusion. No one knows exactly what its limitations are because it's not in anyone's grubby hands yet.

Blackberry has been out for how many years and generations of OS and the Contacts database still cannot correlate with the Calendar to schedule appointments. Talk about fundamentals.

Will iPhone grow into an enterprise-class email machine, assuming further development? Maybe, but no one's crystal-ball can predict the future ... which leaves nothing but speculation and rumor at this point.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Per Apple's marketing: "a breakthrough Internet communications device with desktop-class email"

So to me desktop-class email means attachment support.

This isn't a BB, which initially had a very specific focus and never claimed to be a media player. And this isn't an attack on the iPhone, but again a legitimate question. No false dichotomy or ulterior motives for the question. No need to question the integrity of the question. It's just a question.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Per Apple's marketing: "a breakthrough Internet communications device with desktop-class email"

So to me desktop-class email means attachment support.

Per Apple:

OS X

All the power and sophistication of the world?s most advanced operating system ? OS X ? is now available on a small, handheld device that gives you access to true desktop-class applications and software, including rich HTML email , full-featured web browsing, and applications such as widgets, Safari, calendar, text messaging, Notes, and Address Book. iPhone is fully multi-tasking, so you can read a web page while downloading your email in the background. This software completely redefines what you can do with a mobile phone.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/osx.html#mn_p

Without a specific claim of attachment support, you haven't been misled. One's definition can differ from another.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Who said anything about being misled? If the answer is there is no attachment support, then fine.

Who said there was no attachment support? Point is, without a specific claim of format support, any response to your question is out on a limb. And, until either reviews are published and/or iPhones get into our collective hands, it's all speculation until then. Wish it was otherwise, but ...

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Jeeeez .... touchy, touchy.

/unsubscribed
C201, your point is well taken that we don't know until we know.

But in defense of braj, his question is more or less: "Does anyone know if the iPhone can handle office docs?" It's obviously an indirect question meaning: does anyone know/has anyone heard/did I miss the scoop?

Sometimes people can't keep on the dozens of iphone stories and leaks out there and posting here is one way to cut threw to the answer.

A more resonable response would have been: "I haven't heard this answered yet." and left it at that...

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I'm not sure why, but C201 has questioned my integrity and intellectual honesty in a bunch of threads. Any opportunity to make a mountain out of a molehill gets acted upon. Some weird power trip I guess.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
tards

braj made a legit questions.

CR01 decided to try to front.

Stupid and petty.

Now back the questions.

Attachment support should be in a docs2go client app of some sort. It cannot just be "load it via google apps and safari"....um you are not always connected, and need to be able to work offline.

Rich HTML email != attachment support. Two completely different things.

I dunno what it will have..but we will know in several days.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711