Updated iPhone specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
There were a huge number of Mac updates this year, at least once per month.

Are you basically saying your mac is unpatched?

Surur

"constantly" was the qualifier

but you still fail to answer why there are so many windows updates

why is that?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
"constantly" was the qualifier

but you still fail to answer why there are so many windows updates

why is that?

What do you mean "constantly"? As you know, MS only releases patches once per month.

The updates is obviously to fix bugs and remove vulnerabilities, just like Apple.

I dont see where you are going with this. Apple actually takes longer to fix bugs than MS.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
cool, thanks! seems like i'm constantly being bombarded with those yellow reminder icons that yet another security update is available. i don't seem to be constantly bombarded with security update reminders on my mac. that's all.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
except for Palm Treos :p
Well, though modest, I would suggest the 75x series has been getting thinner and smaller (no antenna). The 5xx series (e.g. Gandolf) will also take this much further making device that are analogous to the Q/Dash/BJ devices.

So I think it holds there too. I think that Palm is more adherent to larger batteries than to slimness where possible for functional reasons.

As thin as devices like the Q are though, people often complain now that the ergonomics when typing are thrown off, since it is too thin (it's a legitimate complaint often found in those forums). Hence rounded-backs tend to "feel better" but alas, those result in thicker devices.

Like I said, there are always trade offs in design.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
As thin as devices like the Q are though, people often complain now that the ergonomics when typing are thrown off, since it is too thin (it's a legitimate complaint often found in those forums). Hence rounded-backs tend to "feel better" but alas, those result in thicker devices.

At least I can agree with you there. The days of the flat pancake typing machine [think 6xxx-7xxx series Blackberry] should've taught the industry something. But consumers, being sheep too frequently, get caught up in the wafer-thinness frenzy.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
75x has been getting thinner and smaller??? that's the same shell design as the 680, right? the one with the "curved in sides" and "antenna-less" design?.....i think i had them both and i would have hardly referred to them as thinner and smaller but by definition, yes! they were!

to me they were the same ol' Treo brick. lots of others sayin' the same 'round here these days....

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
to me they were the same ol' Treo brick. lots of others sayin' the same 'round here these days....
It's all relative. The 755p has been getting quite positive reviews (see "review roundup") and my cursory look at the forum here seems to imply that people are generally happy with it (especially compared to the 700p fiasco).

Obviously Palm is taking baby-steps here but the 75x series generally appears to be well received. Not mind-blowing, but above-satisfactory for a lot of people.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I'm looking forward to 3G and the new OS more than a slimmer body. Take another MM or two off and that would be enough for me.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
The problem is they do in the latest model what should have been done in the last! Backwards steps is more like it!
Maybe. It's a long time from device-development/conception to release. I imagine they'd want to use newer LCD technology but alas production and cost rule them out, or new chipset that is out but won't be ready in mass-numbers to meet their orders.

Every review of the Treo says nearly the same thing: ergonomic.

It doesn't feel great in your pocket, but feels perfect in the hand.

The Q-type devices are the opposite: feels great in a pocket, not so much in the hand.

The secret is finding the sweet spot which is no easy task. I highly doubt everyone will be overjoyed with how the iPhone feels in the hand for typing extensively.

Granted, things like BT and camera's could be better. Wifi I'm mixed on--I honestly find it overkill with 3g.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
just imagine how many they could sell if they were less heavy and less brick-like.....so many in the market are saying they don't need all that "functionality" and the like.....they should make a phone for that market but instead they decided to focus on the Foleo. again, so many around here are validating it....they just don't need all of that functionality at the cost of out-dated operating systems, crashes/reboots, etc.....a touchscreen can only take you so far.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Actually why wasn't the 700p stable out of the box? But the 755p "upgrade" you had to pay for was? Because they fixed in the 755 what they should have done in the first place for the 700 out of the box!!

Same with 700wx, why is it stable over the 700w? They added the memory they should have in the first place!!!

But the owners of older devcies are either stuck or have to buy an "upgraded" device at a cost.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

Same with 700wx, why is it stable over the 700w? They added the memory they should have in the first place!!!
In fairness, it was their first WM device and most manufactures don't get it right the first time: the Q was pretty disastrous when it came out too, HTC has had some misses (the 6700 was hardly perfect and their update killed the earpiece volume). It's unfortunate but not uncommon.
oalvarez said:
just imagine how many they could sell if they were less heavy and less brick-like.....so many in the market are saying they don't need all that "functionality" and the like.
I have to question the validity of market attribution to the mysterious "they".

Many do require that--in fact all WM devices offer the basically the same core functionality, that is what it is sold on.

Since we don't have actual sales numbers of anyone, it's hard to say if Palm is not selling their devices. Sprint, Verizon and AT&T all seem to keep returning for more.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
just look around this place Mal, it ain't hard to find people (and some long-time Treo lovers) who are discarding their Treos for less heavy and more slim devices. maybe not just because they're less brick-like but it's for something that Palm has failed to give them.

it's ok man, love your Treo...if it works best for you, awesome!

i just think it's a brick.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
just look around this place Mal, it ain't hard to find people (and some long-time Treo lovers) who are discarding their Treos for less heavy and more slim devices. maybe not just because they're less brick-like but it's for something that Palm has failed to give them.

it's ok man, love your Treo...if it works best for you, awesome!

i just think it's a brick.

I agree about the design, but not about the BRICK part. I think most people just get tired of the Treo design, it basically hasn't changed since the 600. That doesn't make it a brick, and to be honest of all 3 phones I have, the Treo 750 is by far the most ergonomical (blackjack, 8525). I still alternate phones here and there, but if I had to choose one I'd have to go with the Treo.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
They have not YET, but "Windows Update" is a new feature built into Windows Mobile 6

Ya see, surur. That wasn't so painful. Good job, Pattycerts! :thumbsup:

surur's problematic attack reply to the same question:

Do you really need a history lesson. A few devices were upgraded from wm 2002 to wm 2003. Many devices were upgraded from wm 2003 to wm 2003se. A few wm 2003se devices were upgraded to WM5. Most wm5 devices got AKU 2. Many got AKU 3.3, and quite a few are getting the WM6 upgrade.

You should stick to discussing areas you know.:rolleyes:

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh