Updated iPhone specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Actually, what consumers want is simple: choice

Whether that is in networks or device types, using something that fits your needs and likes is what matters. Aesthetics is but one aspect in that choice and not necessarily the priority for all.

correctamundo.....it is interesting however to note the sales success that the more slim, less heavy devices have enjoyed since their launches (razr, krzr, pearls, 8300's, 6700's, etc)....correlated? maybe, maybe not!

regards

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Are they? A2DP does not come free with the bluetooth chip - the code still needs to be written.

Surur

Yeah but I think it is safe to assume it will arrive in a software update, esp. since it is becoming more widespread. If you think Apple doesn't want to sell you a nice, overpriced but stylish 2 in 1 BT headset I think you don't know Apple. They could sell it for $200 and people would love it.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
correctamundo.....it is interesting however to note the sales success that the more slim, less heavy devices have enjoyed since their launches (razr, krzr, pearls, 8300's, 6700's, etc)....correlated? maybe, maybe not!

regards
Honestly, I have no idea as we don't have access to actual sales numbers. Motorola has serious financial issues/losses in the cell phone area, which suggests the RAZR/KRZR/xxZR trend is just a trend. Sure as technology warrants it, devices will get thinner and lighter--that goes for everything. But there are compromises too (e.g. battery life) or lack of features.

The 6700 was a very successful devices for Sprint and Verizon, seeing as it held that spot in their lineup for nearly 2 years.

Sometimes people need the more power/functionality over slimness and looks. For me, "looks" are secondary to what it can do. I can't fake functionality. That's why I went back to the 700wx from the Q--it's just a better device.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Yeah but I think it is safe to assume it will arrive in a software update, esp. since it is becoming more widespread. If you think Apple doesn't want to sell you a nice, overpriced but stylish 2 in 1 BT headset I think you don't know Apple. They could sell it for $200 and people would love it.

They need to save something for IPhone 2, dont they?

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The success of certain handsets is also linked to price. Lots of Razers are out there because people got them relatively cheap with their plans. My sister had one but HATED it, to lots of people a phone is just a phone and they take what the salesman offers them. It doesn't necessarily mean that they were drawn to that particular phone or even satisfied, just that that was what was in the market at the time.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i just tend to look around wherever i go......there are more and more slim devices in people's hands than there are treos....used to be just Treos, now it's not.....why? not sure, but maybe because those slim devices offer the consumer enough functionality for their needs....or in other words, maybe they don't need "all of the added functioanlity" of a Treo.

they're selling them, that's for sure.....

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Oh look, some-one else had the same idea as me.

competitivedatachart2.jpg

For people who feel I am particularly rabid, try reading this same thread over at Engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/18/iphone-to-feature-eight-hours-of-talk-new-glass-surface/

Apple made a mistake by inviting feature comparison with smartphones, but their sheepish customers probably wont care.

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
i just tend to look around wherever i go......there are more and more slim devices in people's hands than there are treos....used to be just Treos, now it's not.....why? not sure, but maybe because those slim devices offer the consumer enough functionality for their needs....or in other words, maybe they don't need "all of the added functioanlity" of a Treo.

they're selling them, that's for sure.....
But that's also because companies like Moto and HTC and Samsung have all entered the market.

Saying devices are getting thinner and lighter is not some amazing observation, it's just the way all technology works like laptops, tvs, mp3 players (nano?)--everything. That's just evolution, nothing special.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Of course. Or a new Treo (wait, they haven't been very good at doing that, have they)

Point is ... Apple didn't create the biz model that some are whining about. They're following what is already established, but advancing the model with OS-upgradeability. MS is just getting around to that themselves after how many years in this biz? :)

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Point is ... Apple didn't create the biz model that some are whining about. They're following what is already established, but advancing the model with OS-upgradeability. MS is just getting around to that themselves after how many years in this biz? :)

Did I say it was specific to Apple?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

What are you talking about?

a) Firmware has always been upgradeable.

b) Most of the software updates Apple will send out will be bug fixes.

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
That's a somewhat leaves out details though.

When you have only one Operator to go through and strong-armed them into compliance (read freedom) it's a lot easier to roll out OS upgrades.

The reason MS has "just gotten around to it" is because they found a way to update the OS while not stepping on every single Carrier's toes for software approval, which is a huge, huge hurdle.

I can tell you the reason why devices do not get updated has less to do with MS and more to do with Carriers/Manufactures.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
What are you talking about?

a) Firmware has always been upgradeable.

How many have been delivered over the 18-month lifespan of any single device? These firmware updates are exactly what you claim about Apple below:

b) Most of the software updates Apple will send out will be bug fixes.

Surur

And when will you be publishing this iPhone Roadmap of yours?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
How many have been delivered over the 18-month lifespan of any single device? These firmware updates are exactly what you claim about Apple below:

And when will you be publishing this iPhone Roadmap of yours?

I am using simple logic. You seem to be privy to Apple's firmware update plans however.

My simple logic tells me most updates fix bugs, and do not add features. Am I wrong?

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro