iPhone - How long would you expect to use it?

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
If you purchased an iPhone, how long would you want and expect it to last?

Would you plan to upgrade in a year, a year and a half, longer...?

I ask because a lot of our discussions seem to revolve around the estimated life of a given product (i.e. how long before it no longer works very well), as well as how long the end-user expects to continue using it (i.e. how long before s/he expects to upgrade or switch to another model).

In the case of the iPhone, I thought our conversations might benefit from a broader understanding of how long people might expect to use a device that offers x, lacks y, and costs z.

I posted a similar thread about Treo's in the General Treo Chat forum.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Totally depends on what the options are. I usually end up changing devices every 12-18 months - depending on what new device is available and how my current device is performing. My current device is a Cingular 8125. While I have thoroughly enjoyed it, there is a worthwhile upgrade (the 8525) and my current one is having some serious issues. The 8125 is well over a year old.

If I bought an iPhone, and in a year there was a substantial upgrade, I'd probably want it. If, after a year, there is not a big upgrade or totally new device available, I'd probably hang on to it until it either breaks or is replaced by the next newest thing.

As far as longevity - I just want it to last until my contract allows me to upgrade - and at least through the warranty period (usually a year).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
In technology terms the iphone starts behind in any case (no gps, no 3G, 2 megapixel camera) so better models will probably come in 6 months. The only problem is the people locked into two year contracts.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
most cars come equipped with GPS....but you and i have already gone down that road.

pretty much in the same camp as Vin.....what i DON'T need are two phones (pearl AND an iphone) so the iPhone would have to replace this little bad baby and i just don't think it will have the ability to do so. i thought it would have a place as a "fun phone" but i really can't justify having a second phone number for weekend purposes...yes, i know, use call forward....seems silly in my eyes.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
GPS would be nice, as would 3G - BUT - I use a BT GPS receiever and with this whole 3G chip debacle (and lack of access to 3G any time in the foreseeable future), neither option is a real issue for me. 2MP camera? meh. I've never desperately wished my 8125 could rival my D200 (or our Canon p&s, for that matter).

I'm just really anxious to get this thing in hand and see exactly what are it's strengths and weaknesses. Just bet that I'll give it h@ll the first month to make sure I want to keep it.

My biggest hope is that the Google map function will smoothly integrate with my GPS and the best of all scenarios would be if the soon to be released BT/WiFi hard drives work with it...

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i too am looking forward to giving it a spin....what i'm afraid of is that i'm going to like the bigger screen/better resolution......better internet experience, music and phone all in one place......the keyboard i'm looking most forward to....but if i can't find a way to receive my work emails (must be real-time or close to it) then i'm sad to say that it wouldn't be for me.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
GPS would be nice, as would 3G - BUT - I use a BT GPS receiever and with this whole 3G chip debacle (and lack of access to 3G any time in the foreseeable future), neither option is a real issue for me.
Well, it doesn't have GPS but it looks like it might have access to aGPS at least for GoogleMaps. I'm surprised no one noticed this as it was posted in this thread...
Apple demonstrated dialing the phone and reporting the device's GPS coordinates to Google Maps -- a native third-party application, so at least one developer has an iPhone SDK -- from within a Web application.
(source)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I saw that, but I think it may have been a misinterpretation. No-one else is reporting it in that way.

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hype

I churn phones once a year or so, but lately, I have slowed down.

Nothing better than the 700wx on the market, and that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon.

I wonder if they will sell any sponge accessories to wipe of the ear/cheek juice that will collect on the screen. ;-)

The hype machine is in full swing..the stores promise to be insane on the 29th.

Insertion

Fear teh Munk!
Jan 10, 2005
fearthemunk.com
What are you going to do about the contract?

Surur

Pay the retail. What is it, like $1000 or something? But there would need to be a good reason to upgrade. If they pull a Palm, and just offer some silly new iPhone version, (like, in White!!!!,) I'll pass.

But then, I may hate the thing...who knows.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Pay the retail. What is it, like $1000 or something? But there would need to be a good reason to upgrade. If they pull a Palm, and just offer some silly new iPhone version, (like, in White!!!!,) I'll pass.

But then, I may hate the thing...who knows.

I thought there was no contract-free version. There was a rumour of a pre-paid version, but nothing concrete. $600 IS the retail price, there is just no subsidy.

Surur

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I churn phones once a year or so, but lately, I have slowed down.

Nothing better than the 700wx on the market, and that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon.

I wonder if they will sell any sponge accessories to wipe of the ear/cheek juice that will collect on the screen. ;-)

The hype machine is in full swing..the stores promise to be insane on the 29th.
Indeed. I get enough gunk on my smaller screen... and that's despite the fact that my phone is in a hard case most of the time.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I thought there was no contract-free version. There was a rumour of a pre-paid version, but nothing concrete. $600 IS the retail price, there is just no subsidy.

Surur

I thought it was $500 after a $100 rebate. Am I confusing the iPhone price with the Foleo price?

Insertion

Fear teh Munk!
Jan 10, 2005
fearthemunk.com

Surur

I've heard different things. $999 retail, and $500-600 subsidized. You obviously can't buy one without activation, but I'd find it hard to believe ATT would turn down a paying customer in a contract that wanted a new iPhone.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I've heard different things. $999 retail, and $500-600 subsidized. You obviously can't buy one without activation, but I'd find it hard to believe ATT would turn down a paying customer in a contract that wanted a new iPhone.

Got a link?

Surur

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711