iPhone lacks removable battery - Do you care?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
One question, I doubt anyone can answer right now, but, if the battery isn't replaceable, is the sim card at least accessible? That would bug me way more than the battery. Say the phone dies and you need to service, or you are going jogging and want to take a beater phone with you, can you swap out the sim?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Here's how to bottom line this.

There are people that just don't like Apple. Nothing they do, even if they added every feature that the detractors want would make them happy.

There are the WM fanboys (and perhaps Series 60 fanboys) like Surur (yes Surur, if you're going to throw the "fanboy" label around, you need to apply it to yourself as well)

Then there are the Treo sycophants who bow to the Hawkins alter, and get hysterical if you can't understand why anyone would not want one...

It doesn't matter what Apple does, they'll find something to ***** about.

Insertion - it takes one to know one :)

Anyway, you left out the part where Apple deserves derision for their odd and unusual decisions. Things like no removable battery, no real third party apps, no subsidy etc. Even some Apple fans are appalled by Apple's handling of the IPhone.

eg:
The iPhone is a joke. And I say this as an Apple geek who normally buys anything with an Apple logo on it.

Surur

imageone

Oct 21, 2002
Visit site
I care but it's not a deal breaker. I want something that works and a company (Apple) that will give me regular updates unlike Palm .... 1 year for the 700p and the update screwed things up more than ever.

I had a Treo 300 and 600 with no removable battery and lived. In fact I rarely ever remove the 700p battery.

Insertion

Fear teh Munk!
Jan 10, 2005
fearthemunk.com
Insertion - it takes one to know one :)

Anyway, you left out the part where Apple deserves derision for their odd and unusual decisions. Things like no removable battery, no real third party apps, no subsidy etc. Even some Apple fans are appalled by Apple's handling of the IPhone.

eg:

Surur

I don't deny my fanboy-ism for Apple. I tend to think I have a realistic view of them though. They've done things in the past that have left me dumbfounded, and during the Sculley era, I all but gave up on them. Currently, not a big Apple TV fan, and I can't stand Finder in OSX.

They're like any other company to me, however the products that I do like, I like a lot.

The iPhone is something I want. But you won't catch me calling it the end all, be all device. Never said it would be either here, or my own forum.

I only want a few things:
Calendar
Contacts
Web Browsing
Emails
Good phone quality
and lastly, sync seamlessly with my Macs! It burns my *** that I have to pay money to have a WM device sort of sync. (And I've been a WM fan since the Palm_Sized PC days)

I personally don't care about IM. I rarely even IM on my computer. MMS? Ever tried to MMS on Sprint? GPS would be nice, but not a deal killer. I've got plenty of car chargers for my iPods, so keeping it juiced won't be an issue.

So far, on paper, it's a good device for me. But if it flakes out, crashes, something doesn't work, I'll be the first one starting a "Class Action Suit!! Who's With ME??!!" thread. Okay, maybe not...but I'll let you know it's deficiencies once I've had it long enough.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
GSM SIM card. I choose Cingular/ATT because it's GSM and it makes it asy to switch to another phone, or when travelling, another SIM for another country.

so one could easily get to the sim but not the battery? hec, this isn't making any sense even to me!

Treo Rat

Aug 20, 2002
edgarces.com
^ i'm really liking this guy :)

Re Insertion, his 9,700 posts tell you he is one popular guy here. I remember him well from the Treo 600 Treo 650 Launches when everyone is making fun of the endless Treo resets and crashes. He is one of the old Treo faithfuls like many of the Mac guys here (me included). I used to enjoy these Treo forums when he drops one of his hilarious and funny scripts:D

Am surprised Insertion is actually answering Surur's cr...p with a serious tone.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
hey, at the end of the day, people are finally starting to see clearly....how long have i been saying this for????

Treos suck

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Am surprised Insertion is actually answering Surur's cr...p with a serious tone.

Yes, because its completely without merit, isn't it.

In fact I was not calling Insertion a fanboy, this is the first time I have seen him give any opinion on the IPhone.

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

Your civic duty?

More like obsession...

To each their own. I've owned Treos for many years, and while there are issues, they still rule the day. (and I have been a big Palm critic).

Apple may never have a removable battery, but it just goes to show their mentality - use our product and then buy a new one the next year.

I'm not saying this isn't working foe them, just that not everyone can drop $2,000 for a cell phone.

The issue is that being a "media player" is one thing, and being a "phone" is another. It my iPod dies, I am annoyed...if my phone dies I am really pissed.

I think Apple is going to learn some things about the phone market. But I am happy to see them in it - competition is good.

Insertion

Fear teh Munk!
Jan 10, 2005
fearthemunk.com
Re Insertion, his 9,700 posts tell you he is one popular guy here. I remember him well from the Treo 600 Treo 650 Launches when everyone is making fun of the endless Treo resets and crashes. He is one of the old Treo faithfuls like many of the Mac guys here (me included). I used to enjoy these Treo forums when he drops one of his hilarious and funny scripts:D

Thanx Rat. I'm gettin' too old to drop bombs on people now. Time to let the youngsters take over...

Anyways, Surur doesn't bother me. I've been around here long enough (both on the tech side, and the OT forum) to know he's set in his ways. That's not a bad thing, lots of us are. But every so often, you gotta let him know, not every Apple guy is like he portrays us to be.