iPhone lacks removable battery - Do you care?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Yes! No removable battery make this a glorified MP3 player more than a phone, much of the time. I mentioned lack of removable battery before was a problem. You pay $600 and after 2 yrs. battery is kaput. And after 1 yr., less battery performance. Even if many do replace their phones within 2 yrs., that may cause a problem if you try to resell the phone after 2 yrs.

Has Apple said what they're going to do about this? Offer a battery replacement plan or a phone recycling plan?

newtonjack

Oct 17, 2004
hometown.aol.com
No replacable battery would be ok if this was a free phone w/ a new contract but for 600 bucks? no way.

But the bigger problem is gonna be how long will the battery last before needing recharging? The ultra thin battery in this thing will be a big problem for Apple. I see a lot of returns coming for the iPhone.

Treolo

Mar 10, 2000
Visit site
iPhone with you replaceable battery means that once that battery is dead and your warranty has expired. You are done! and it is time to get a new iPhone. So for people that are not willing to upgrade every year it is bad. It would also be bad for Power users who would want to carry and extra battery or buy an extended battery.

Bad Apple

Al

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
But that's bad for the environment if people just decide to chuck the phones because there's no options after the battery dies. They will at least need to offer a recycling program! They recycle iPods all the time, probably for the same reason.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I have one with a totally dead battery. It'll have to be replaced. I have 2 others that are starting to lose full capacity when they charge. I got rid of another that had that problem(sold to someone who wanted the hard drive). These are all about 1 1/2-2 years old or so. These are all minis, however. The video iPods haven't started losing charge yet.

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
I think not having a removable battery is huge. The Treo 600 didn't have a removable battery, but if you pulled the battery on that then you would lose everything. So I kind of understood it on the 600, however I think apple is making a HUGE mistake!

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
huge

Not having a removable battery is a HUGE issue in any phone, especially a smartphone/pda.

Having to charge it all the time is a PITA.

I use my Treo at least 18 hours a day and always swap batteries.

Without this ability, I would be *** out.

Oh well. Apple is pulling a Treo 600 move.

$1,000 bucks say generation 2 (or 3) of iphone has replaceable battery.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
I use my Treo at least 18 hours a day and always swap batteries.

Without this ability, I would be *** out.

$1,000 bucks say generation 2 (or 3) of iphone has replaceable battery.

Wow, 18 hours a day? Aren't you worried about brain tumors? That's extreme by anyone's standards. Seriously, don't you lose your voice after, say 3 or 4 hours?

This device is not for everyone, and it's not marketed as though it were - it's friggin' $600! Smart/Smart-ish phone with an apparent lack of appeal to serious enterprise users - it is what it is. If it appeals to you, buy it. If it isn't going to meet your needs, take it back for a refund. Making negative comments regarding theoretical usage limitations - especially something as subjective as HYPOTHESIZED battery longevity is ridiculous. I can't wait until this thing hits the shelves so we can complain/rejoice over REAL issues this device exhibits. There are still FAR too many unknown variables to determine whether or not this thing will be a smash hit or a dismal failure.

I used a 600 for two years without any battery issues. My wife has a 30GB iPod that is still plugging away after MANY hours of use for both music and my using it for RAW image file storage on trips. My 650 lasted a year and a half with the original battery. My current device (8125) is over a year old now on the same battery.

In short, the lack of a battery door doesn't bother me much at all.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Making negative comments regarding theoretical usage limitations - especially something as subjective as HYPOTHESIZED battery longevity is ridiculous.

Sorry, these are ACTUAL limitations, or are you going to spin the lack of a removable battery as a good thing.

Surur

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Sorry, these are ACTUAL limitations, or are you going to spin the lack of a removable battery as a good thing.

Surur

Nope on both counts.
The battery may, indeed, be crap for longevity - but "ACTUAL limitations" would be supported by tangible evidence; which you nor anyone else here has. We will soon enough. Im not saying the iPhone is going to have good/bad/average battery life because I've never used one or seen any objective publications regarding it (because there AREN'T any). That's why it's ridiculous to speculate about the iPhone's battery life - or nearly anything else at this point. Wait sixteen more days and you can laugh at us because you were right or crawl under a rock in shame.
And nope, I'm not spinning the lack of a battery door as a good thing. I think I was pretty clear in my statement that it doesn't bother me. That suggests that I don't really care whether it has a removable battery or not. My past experience with "converged devices" has proven that MY particular needs don't normally require more juice than the standard battery has over the course of a single day. When it's a problem, I have a charger handy. Simple enough.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Lithium batteries lose charge over 2 years, plain and simple. That's NOT speculation! I find it very hard to believe you get a full charge still after 2 years on either your 600 or your wife's iPod!! UNLESS you don't use them often. Then you can eek out battery life longer.

I haven't lost much charge from my video iPods either, because I don't use them every single day. However, on those I used on a constant basis, the battery did begin to lose full charge capacity. One of my phones batteries is draining faster now. It's from use, plain and simple.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Diva, I'll give you that, for sure - BUT - how many phones have you used for two+ years? That's really a valid point here - will the typical American consumer who can afford this device still be using it near it's end of life cycle? Based on the history of posts by users on this forum, the majority will not. For those who do, I'm sure the warranty will cover battery replacement. Figuring the device is not defective, most people won't complain too much if they get a year and a half out of the device and just have to send it in for a battery replacement - and that's assuming the thing is impossible to get into to begin with. Even the iPod battery is accessible if you have a strong stomach and are slightly careful (and make an effort to use appropriate tools). In my opinion, it's still much ado about nothing. Let's just see how this thing does before we start complaining - that's all I'm saying. There are more than a few of us willing to be the guinea pigs...

Insertion

Fear teh Munk!
Jan 10, 2005
fearthemunk.com
Here's how to bottom line this.

There are people that just don't like Apple. Nothing they do, even if they added every feature that the detractors want would make them happy.

There are the WM fanboys (and perhaps Series 60 fanboys) like Surur (yes Surur, if you're going to throw the "fanboy" label around, you need to apply it to yourself as well)

Then there are the Treo sycophants who bow to the Hawkins alter, and get hysterical if you can't understand why anyone would not want one...

It doesn't matter what Apple does, they'll find something to ***** about.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Diva, I'll give you that, for sure - BUT - how many phones have you used for two+ years? That's really a valid point here - will the typical American consumer who can afford this device still be using it near it's end of life cycle? Based on the history of posts by users on this forum, the majority will not. For those who do, I'm sure the warranty will cover battery replacement. Figuring the device is not defective, most people won't complain too much if they get a year and a half out of the device and just have to send it in for a battery replacement - and that's assuming the thing is impossible to get into to begin with. Even the iPod battery is accessible if you have a strong stomach and are slightly careful (and make an effort to use appropriate tools). In my opinion, it's still much ado about nothing. Let's just see how this thing does before we start complaining - that's all I'm saying. There are more than a few of us willing to be the guinea pigs...

But we're talking about a phone for phone usage first. Not much ado about nothing when you can no longer use your phone for at least a full waking hours day, due to insufficient charge. If there's still a 2 yr. agreement, you'll be stuck with that option. Archie says this is no longer a requirement. I don't know. But if it is, and you use your phone a lot, that's not good. If you can replace the phone's battery through Apple, that'd be a lot better! But sending out your phone is a PITA, it always is, no matter what model.

I like Apple BTW. But what you can get away with for an MP3 player isn't necessarily the same for a phone. Once the battery life starts shortening, all we need to know are what the options are for the iPhone when that happens, before we dish out $600 and suffer an ATT contract.

With all due respect to those who think we shouldn't say anything, we have a right to question what we're getting into for that much of a commitment. YOU may not, but some others will and that's their right IMO!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro