HTC's response to the Iphone - not too bad

conekkted

Jan 26, 2007
Visit site
Are you serious? So Apple will sell 100 to 200 million iPhones over the next 12 months? Thats RDF really got to you, didn't it.

You were so fast to start spewing anti-iPhone rhetoric that you missed the message entirely. My point was that the iPhone will outsell by 10x any other single phone that HTC or anyone else will put out there. Nobody thinks that one Apple phone will outsell HTC's whole line of dozens of phones. But the fact that you actually tried to argue that false premise, and that the numbers were still comparable, speaks volumes for how huge this iPhone launch is going to be.

I am a huge HTC fan. My last 4 phones are the Treo 750, the 8525, 8125 and SX66. I still think the SX66 is the greatest phone ever...it was just crippled by an awful WM2003 and crappy BT. If they remade the SX66 with the latest technology, I think a lot of people would love the large screen with the benefit of a portrait sliding keyboard. The side-sliders are a huge inconvenience for those of us that frequently need to type.

conekkted

Jan 26, 2007
Visit site
Thats just fantasizing.

Wait until the 3G version comes out around Christmas along with all of the other upgrades that they can think up in the next 6 months. It won't be loing until Apple is eating HTCs and everybody elses lunch in terms of market share. I just hope you post a picture of your iPhone once you buy it.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
All I am saying is that you can talk about lack of features on the iPhone until you are blue in the face. It will still sell 10x as many phones as HTC or anyone ese in the next 12 months.

You were so fast to start spewing anti-iPhone rhetoric that you missed the message entirely. My point was that the iPhone will outsell by 10x any other single phone that HTC or anyone else will put out there. Nobody thinks that one Apple phone will outsell HTC's whole line of dozens of phones.

Way to back pedal. Wants to reduce your predictions even further?

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Wait until the 3G version comes out around Christmas along with all of the other upgrades that they can think up in the next 6 months. It won't be loing until Apple is eating HTCs and everybody elses lunch in terms of market share. I just hope you post a picture of your iPhone once you buy it.

I wouldn't go that far!

Yeah I'll try the iPhone, but you know that HTC will be dropping new devices like candy to compete. The Touch is released already, in certain countries. That didn't take long at all.

This statement may hold true one day, but not today, or anytime soon. Apple won't release a 3G iPhone for at least another year, they'd be foolish to do otherwise

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Surur With every post like this you demean yorself...

Way to back pedal. Wants to reduce your predictions even further?

Surur

Surur we all know you HATE the iPHONE and we all know you are a knowledgeable user of smartphones and in particular WM OS. I mean you seem to have a working knowledge of these phones and platforms that is scary. Far ahead of the basic user.

What I don't get is how you feel you will convince people you have serious issues to raise about what you see as the shortcomings of the iPHONE when you getting into pissing matches with people like this.

You have turned into a caricature of yourself.

Come on man you know a lot of what people will write responding to your postings will be emotional and unable to be documented but your belittling responses demean you more then they do the person you are responding to.

If you have to post a response to something that you disagree be a little "Bigger" then you have been over that last few days.

You have a lot of good points and a lot, I have no idea where you find the time to post so much, of good posts but you have slipped into this "Troll" like mode.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
We need to realize that we are comparing, bragging about, hating, b-tching about a phone that no one has ever seen. There's no substance to any of this, until people can actually respond with FACTS. That's why this forum is so great, every argument here is about speculation.

What surur says right now really doesn't matter, and he knows this, yet everyone keeps getting on him for statements. Too funny...

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
The fact they are locked to 1 of 4 carriers in the US will not help in this matter at all. You achieve dominance by spreading it around, not isolation. That's why Apple has such a small percentage of the PC market.

A lot of people wont' break contracts or switch to what we may feel is inferior service for a phone.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Had hoped for more then BullSh!T here but ...

We need to realize that we are comparing, bragging about, hating, b-tching about a phone that no one has ever seen. There's no substance to any of this, until people can actually respond with FACTS. That's why this forum is so great, every argument here is about speculation.

What surur says right now really doesn't matter, and he knows this, yet everyone keeps getting on him for statements. Too funny...

I guess I was dreaming I could get some real incite into what the iPHONE promises and what it really can deliver.

Internet ego's and the feeling of power people get from bashing other people over the internet always seem to trump real information.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Is there any info on this, I think people will...

The fact they are locked to 1 of 4 carriers in the US will not help in this matter at all. You achieve dominance by spreading it around, not isolation. That's why Apple has such a small percentage of the PC market.

A lot of people wont' break contracts or switch to what we may feel is inferior service for a phone.

People who have the $$$ to buy a $600 phone won't blink at a $150 buy out on an existing contract.

And as people who are now month to month, as I have been since April, will be drawn to make a jump.

Hype or no hype AT&T will see an increase in subscribers.

My opinion no facts to back it up just experience in dealing with human nature.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Not back pedaling at all. The logical people here got the jist pretty easily. but I don't mind coming back and posting to dumb-it-down for some of you.

Are you Steve Jobs? You seem to share the same weasel word script writer.

Surur

conekkted

Jan 26, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't go that far!

Yeah I'll try the iPhone, but you know that HTC will be dropping new devices like candy to compete. The Touch is released already, in certain countries. That didn't take long at all.

This statement may hold true one day, but not today, or anytime soon. Apple won't release a 3G iPhone for at least another year, they'd be foolish to do otherwise

This is a double-edged sword for HTC and other manufacturers. The more different devices they drop out there like candy, the more exponential their support becomes. On the other hand, a year from now Apple will only have 2 or 3 devices out there max. Their support will be simple (especially with their relatively closed OS). So they will have 90% of their efforts on upgrades and new technology. HTC isn't going away anytime soon, but this will be the biggest dent in their market share that they have ever seen.

And I will gaurantee that a 3G iPhone will be out in less than a year from now. That will be pretty huge also.

conekkted

Jan 26, 2007
Visit site

I think many of you are really underestimating the iSheep out there. Breaking contracts will be as easy as breaking wind for the foaming-at-the-mouth Apple bots. I don't think you can compare the isolation of cell phone markets to that of the Windows dominance in the PC market.

Would you say that the ipod was unsuccessful through their isolationist model of vendors, fixed pricing, restrictive 3rd party licensing and non-standard hardware (like the audio jacks and reversed video polarity so that your normal cables from other devices wouldn't work). And itunes, IMO, is much more restrictive than many download mechanisms.

Sprint/Nextel is quickly becoming a non-issue in the market as everyone else rolls out Push to Talk and Cingular/ATT's 3G network continues to spread. Look at how desparate they are just to get ATT out of Nascar (LOL). T-Mobile will hang around because they are innovative. But their lack of bundled services and inability to land exclusive deals with vendors will keep them slowly losing market share to Verizon and ATT. It won't be long until it is a 2 horse race.

Everyone that wants an iPhone will happily beat a path to ATT's door and throw cash at the clueless CSR's.

Regardless, we will all know who is wrong and who is right in just a few months.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
and how do you define dominance in this example? and which products are you referring to?
Context man, did you even read what I was responding to?
conekkted said:
It won't be loing until Apple is eating HTCs and everybody elses lunch in terms of market share.
Do you think HTC, Moto, Samsung as well as Symbian, WM and BB devices will be displaced by the iPhone: a single device on a single network?

How much market share of all cell phones do you think the iPhone will garner? There are over 100 WM devices worldwide and 1 iPhone, 1 network.

Do you think it'll be huge in Europe on a single network, where selection is king? What about Korea or Japan (places where HTC "and everybody else" do business)? China?

Lets not talk about market share and the iPhone. They will be a profitable but niche market. What about all the people who make <$30k a year? Will they be buying a $600 phone or the free one they get for signing up? What about our rapidly aging population? Seniors with iPhones?

Maybe in 5 years, if there is a range of iPhones and on multi-networks, then maybe they'll have a shot.