HTC's response to the Iphone - not too bad

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
htc_touch_front_small.jpg
htc_touch_perspective_small.jpg

HTC has unveiled today their response to the Iphone. It is a PocketPC phone with only a D-pad and phone answer and end keys, and a large touch screen, running WM6. Just like the Iphone, it eschews advanced features like 3G or GPS. Its main selling point seems again, similar to the Iphone, a new way to interact with the device.

"The HTC Touch is the first device to feature TouchFLO, the new underlying touch screen technology developed by HTC. Consumers simply sweep their finger up the display to launch an animated, three-dimensional interface comprising three screens: Contacts, Media and Applications. The interface can be spun by swiping a finger right or left across the display, providing efficient access to the features consumers use most. TouchFLO also enhances finger touch scrolling and browsing of Web pages, documents, messages and contact lists."

The HTC Touch features an additional UI layer, much like the recent SPB product, that exposes the underlying apps in an easier to use UI. A look at the video shows how well it really works, which is cool.

It also exposes the underlying problem with the concept - underneath the UI is still the same old same old WM6 UI, designed for styluses, and the transition is pretty jarring.

The HTC Touch is not going set the world on fire (unlike the Iphone) but it will demonstrate that even when it comes to ease of use Apple is not necessarily 5 years ahead, maybe more like 3.

Read more about the device and view these videos to see the UI in action.
http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3899

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
No 3G either? Man, what a disappointment. Apple's first device I can understand, but an established phone manufacturer like HTC should be on the ball with this one...

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Based on the two videos I have to say this really isn't very impressive. Some of the TouchFLO bits look ok but they seem have used it as a licence to remove the OK, Start and softkey buttons so it looks like it will actually be more stylus dependent than most current WM devices. One step forward and two back?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Engadget speculate that Microsoft's Shift might have something to do with this:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/05/htcs-touch-with-touchflo-the-elf-with-new-3d-sweep-interface/

If that's the case, and Microsoft are going to thoroughly implement a finger-based UI (giving full functionality), then things could get pretty interesting. Anyone reckon that Photon will be (fully) finger-based?
god I hope not. I'm tired of all this finger-based stuff. :thumbsdn:

Though some of the layout/design is nice, I still prefer a nice d-pad and it does seem like they took SPB Mobile Shell one-step further. I did enjoy all the "double taps" in that video though to get it to recognize their finger, lol.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Based on the two videos I have to say this really isn't very impressive. Some of the TouchFLO bits look ok but they seem have used it as a licence to remove the OK, Start and softkey buttons so it looks like it will actually be more stylus dependent than most current WM devices. One step forward and two back?

Not completely true, as the soft keys can be touched with your finger quite easily, and the screen seems to be different from our usual passive touch screen. I will give you the OK and start keys however, but the UI seems to be designed with the IPhone paradigm, ie. you have to return to the launcher each time to switch to another program.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if Microsoft are involved? This sort of stuff really should be done at the OS level, if only so it's ubiquitous and the UI consistent. Looking at the videos I pretty much agree with the comment that "It also exposes the underlying problem with the concept - underneath the UI is still the same old same old WM6 UI, designed for styluses, and the transition is pretty jarring."

Still, even though it doesn't look like a complete success, it's good see someone having a go.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I want to get one for my daughter, but she's not interested :( She's 10 years old, on T-Mobile, and using a stupid pink Razr (because its pink :( ) I think the ease of use features (simply swipe your thumb up to get access to music, internet and phone) are pretty compelling, but it obviously also needs to be in pink too :(

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
It also appeared that any press close to the upper right hand corner is recognized as CLOSE/OK. Which is a good thing. Not impressed with much else though, I must admit...

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
HAHAHAHAHA!

OK, here we go: I'll pretend to be surur.

"No Way! Never be successful!"
"Archie, Archie, Archie. Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!!!"

I mean surur, surur, surur.

$610 ? It costs too much!
Camera only has 2 megapickels!
The battery is not user-replaceable!
It is only GPRS/EDGE!
It doesn't have a keyboard with physical buttons!
The screen is too small!
Only has 5 hours of talk time!
You can't use it with only one hand! :rolleyes:
ETC
ETC
ETC...

Remind you of anything?

Anyway; aside from a few similarities to the iPhone, the differences are many and can only be seen in the user-experience. Well, that and the specs like:
the iPhone's better quality screen at twice the resolution
the iPhone's lower price tag
the iPhone's ability to use AT&T's "Fine EDGE" for data
the iPhone's larger & better keyboard with predictive text entry
the iPhone's thinner body
the iPhone's larger memory capacity
the iPhone's superior browser
etc, etc, etc....

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes Archie, no-one said this is an IPhone, just HTC's response to the IPhone. Of course it will have numerous advantageous over the IPhone, one of them being that it will be subsidized by the carriers, and probably be free on a contract.

BTW, unlike the Iphone commercials these vids actually demonstrate one-handed usage.

As usual you made many mistakes in your post. You are often so wrong, wrong, wrong. Tell me if you want me to correct you point by point.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
This is a pretty amazing comment from John Wang at HTC:

"This is an inflection point in mobile phone history," John Wang, chief marketing officer for HTC, said at an event in London. "In ten years we'll look back at 2007 as the year when the push button-centric experience transitioned to touch-centric."

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article1889304.ece

Better stock up now if you love both HTC and buttons...:)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Ive been listening to some interviews on the device, and it appears they have put in a lot more thought than first appears. Apparently when touched by finger the OK area is enlarged, so even an inaccurate stab with a finger will close an app. It also works differently with a finger than with a stylus, e.g. when you drag a stylus across a list it will multi-select, while if you drag a finger it will scroll the same list. Pretty nifty.

I also suspect they have been working on this technology for a long time. The old renders for the HTC Trinity showed the same kind of full-screen, no bezel effect, but I think the technology was not ready in time for them to release it last year. Its a pity people say HTC is copying Apple, as its clear that devices like the LG Prada shows that people have been thinking of new touch interfaces for a while.

htc_trinity_breeze.jpg

Surur

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice