WM Professional
WM Professional plus TouchFLO
WM Standard
WM Standard plus touchscreen scrolling

It's too many!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I think of it more as a two dimensional JOGGR, which can scroll up and down, and also side to side.

Alternatively they could add a JOGGR to the edges of the screen, on the top and to the side, to the same effect. I think it would enhance the usage model, but I see your point regarding raising expectations and causing confusion.

Remember though that touch is rapidly becoming a selling point to consumers, so it could be a nice gimmick to raise sales.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Remember though that touch is rapidly becoming a selling point to consumers, so it could be a nice gimmick to raise sales.

Surur
For other companies, YES, it is a gimmick.

For Apple... its incorporated to make it easy to use and intuitive. A SUCCESFUL and APPROPRIATE implementation. May not be evident to many now (who am I kidding, this is TreoCentral... DEFINiTELY NOT evident), but it will be given time and exposure.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
For other companies, YES, it is a gimmick.

For Apple... its incorporated to make it easy to use and intuitive. A SUCCESFUL and APPROPRIATE implementation. May not be evident to many now (who am I kidding, this is TreoCentral... DEFINiTELY NOT evident), but it will be given time and exposure.
Yeah, sounds real evident....:rolleyes:

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Engadget said:
we did consult a trusted and well connected source who, as it turns out, has heard the very same thing from multiple iPhone users, and who further noted that an accessory keyboard to go with the device may become necessary if the touchscreen keyboard doesn't cut the mustard.
Oh boy - a keyboard attachment - how cool would THAT look! :cool: Maybe they'll add an external 3G adapter too. ;)

backbeat

Mar 20, 2007
Visit site

If anyone should know about colossal keyboard failures, it's Dvorak! :)

Image5.gif

Kenundrum

Jan 21, 2004
kenundrum.smugmug.com
2 years ago i broke my dominant (left) hand and shredded muscle and tendons... i was unable to write for about 2 or 3 months and i could type with only one hand and maybe finger pecking on the other one...a Dvorak keyboard layout really helped me out after i spent the week or two getting used to it... don't knock it until you try it...
Dvorak keeps all the most commonly used keys near each other in an effort to speed up typing and reduce finger travel- qwerty is designed to increase finger travel and reduce speed... however on second thought... is a mainstream/commercial failure... but like so many other things, people find uses for it.
Thankfully i've gotten past the muscle atrophy and i'm now able to type at ~100 words per minute- not something you could do on a virtual softkey board...

However- none of us can tell what the keyboard would be like until we handle it ourselves... i've used full screen keyboard and it was good, but since you could only use one key at a time it was a little slow going... maybe multi-touch is what is needed as the next step for onscreen keyboards...
for me... you need the tactile feedback... i'm beginning to like the feedback you get when surfing the web on a wii- it vibrates as you go to buttons or over links or when you type... i've always wanted a hack to make the device vibrate just a bit when you touch the screen or something to give you the feedback you want to know you're doing it... oh well

back on topic- as far as a response to the iphone... i think the greatest irony is that all of us using relatively open standards phones will be pointing and laughing at iphones because with software updates and hacks, we can make our phone behave like iphones and have so much more functionality... i've got the slide to unlock thingy working and the icontact finger flicking contact manager is fun, if not yet totally useful in an integration sense...

Hellenek

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
This is really tiring. Let it go already.

It's like getting a PC to emulate a Mac using loads of software and laughing at those who actually have a Mac. If you like the iphone features enough - get the real thing with the right 'engine' running the whole show.

Do iPhone users get the last laugh when your nearly-iPhone apps conflict with each other and your almost-iPhone keeps crashing?

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Your assuming EVERYBODY patrols the iPhone thread to downplay any positive iPhone comments at a seconds notice.

I would say the average user doesn't visit this forum nearly as often as you do.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
If you are going to complain about people going on and on it may be wise to see if they are actually still going on and on...

Surur

conekkted

Jan 26, 2007
Visit site
Please don't forget that this HTC still has to run on a windows platform. It is starting a race with the iPhone with one leg tied behind its back.

conekkted

Jan 26, 2007
Visit site
Hey, I am a SOLID fan of my Cingy 750. I don't know of any other phone that can do anything better than my customized 750. But you all underestimate the spell that Apple has on the generation X, Y and Zers (not to mention some of their parents). All I am saying is that you can talk about lack of features on the iPhone until you are blue in the face. It will still sell 10x as many phones as HTC or anyone ese in the next 12 months. And many of you HTC and Palm users (including me) will reap huge benefits from these guys trying to catch up to iPhone in the ease-of-use category. So don't knock it...it's a blessing in disguise.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
And many of you HTC and Palm users (including me) will reap huge benefits from these guys trying to catch up to iPhone in the ease-of-use category. So don't knock it...it's a blessing in disguise.

I totally agree. And hopefully they in turn will force Apple to make changes for the better.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
All I am saying is that you can talk about lack of features on the iPhone until you are blue in the face. It will still sell 10x as many phones as HTC or anyone ese in the next 12 months.

Are you serious? So Apple will sell 100 to 200 million iPhones over the next 12 months? Thats RDF really got to you, didn't it.

Surur

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73