Palm Compatible?

scouter075

Jan 22, 2004
Visit site
I know that I couldn'd put my Palm apps on the iPhone....but will it have any companion desktop applications like a calendar or address book that you can sync the iPhone to?

Thanks.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, already announced are Mac app compatibility with:
iTunes
iPhoto
Address Book
iCal
Mail

Stay tuned for more.
Probably Safari syncing of bookmarks, widgets for .Mac subscribers needing remote access to account, Remote Desktop client for accessing home machine, document syncing for PDF's, notes and others, etc.

mbivens

May 31, 2007
Visit site
I'd have to dump my WIndows PC and go to a Mac to be compatable, Right?

Of course not! This thing is going to sync with outlook. You may not get a few Mac only niceties, but your contact and calendar data is a given. I imagine just like the iPod you can set up a folder to sync pictures, and they'll probably have a plug-in to IE or Firefox on the pc so you can sync your bookmarks,etc. iTunes is where all the syncing for iPhone takes place, and it's a cross platform app so you can expect Apple to make it as congruent as possible.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Do you think it will sync with MS Outlook with an Exchange Server? People at work were asking and I wasn't sure. Also, would the calendar features work with the Exchange server? If so, I may have a few converts...

byronchurch

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
iPhone has got a tough act to follow . DateBk and palm and missing sync have allowed a Fantastic iCal companion . I hope Apple knows what its competing against . How come iCal doesn't have iCons like DateBk ?

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Do you think it will sync with MS Outlook with an Exchange Server? People at work were asking and I wasn't sure. Also, would the calendar features work with the Exchange server? If so, I may have a few converts...
In the keynote Jobs says you'll be able to get your Exchange email and "Exchange has an IMAP option", which *I guess* means no push but it will poll the account (as the Mac OS X Mail app does). I've no idea if contacts and calendars will be able to sync directly with an Exchange server; on a Mac there's an option to sync Exchange contacts with Address Book but no option to sync iCal to an Exchange Calendar - that's with OS X 10.4 though and there's some suggestion that iPhone runs 10.5.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Microsoft licenses the protocol freely. You can use Exchange Activesync for example on Symbian devices too.

Surur

Kenundrum

Jan 21, 2004
kenundrum.smugmug.com
The IMAP on exchange does support IDLE- with chatter it was amazing... so if the iphone will work with imap idle, it will be pushed... however it's not clear if idle will be supported...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The IMAP on exchange does support IDLE- with chatter it was amazing... so if the iphone will work with imap idle, it will be pushed... however it's not clear if idle will be supported...

It does. Exchange is much more than that though. Your contacts, calender and tasks also gets pushed, and it provides for device management, such as remote policies and remote wipe.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
iPods sync contacts and calendar with Outlook. Pretty surprising if iPhone didn't too.
Confirmed now:

Contacts
Making a call with iPhone is as simple as tapping a name. You won't need to re-enter all your contacts because iPhone syncs with the address book you already use on your computer—Address Book or Entourage on a Mac, or Outlook or Outlook Express on a PC. If you keep your contacts on the web using Yahoo! Address Book, iPhone can sync with them, too. To get ready for iPhone, organize your contacts in one of these applications and make sure they're up to date with the latest phone numbers and email addresses. If you don't have contacts on your computer, don't worry. You can still enter them directly into iPhone.

Calendar
Using its built-in calendar, iPhone lets you check your appointments with the flick of a finger. iPhone uses iTunes to sync with the calendar application you already use on your computer—iCal or Entourage on the Mac, or Outlook on a PC—just like it does with your contacts. If you don't already use one of these applications to manage your appointments, now is a great time to start, so you'll be ready to sync when your iPhone arrives. If you choose not to use a calendar program, that's OK. You'll be able to enter appointments directly into the iPhone calendar.​

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/12/get-ready-iphone-is-coming-june-29/

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner