Will iPhone kill the Treo franchise?

Dec 26, 2004
Visit site
I agree on most of what you said, except that the Treo wont die. It may subside some, but it wont die. Look at the sales of the Treo models now, and see how the 700w/wx and 750 are amongst the best WinMo5 devices in North America. Shoot, name a model that has had the success of the Treo line! BB is about to release their software, negating the need to BUY a BB phone, so you will see that Treo line will survive and maybe regain the top spot! How quickly depends on the Linux-based Treo this winter!

How about Palm taking care of it's users, they released an update for the 680 before the 700p. That is a slap in the face! Which phone has been out the longest (700p, and we get the update last) I know I am nit picking. Palm did release a flawed phone and they really have not acknowledge the fact. I am discouraged with Palm, the Palm 755p BT does not work with my 2007 Camry (the 700p did). The phone still has some lags. I still love the palm os but we did not have the same problems with the 650 that plague us with the 755 and 700p. EVDO is nice and that is why I upgraded from the 650. I just wonder what my experience would be if I tried the 650 again. No, I do not plan to go that far. Apple will have a following but for the Treo users I am not so sure. A lot hangs on the balances and Palm has to deliver on the Linux OS this year. What if Access would contract with HTC or some other mfg company to Make a "Access Treo"??? Palm has taken some steps to try and reestablish it's user base with MyPalm, free tech support of sorts, the blog (of which 85% is negative and the promised; not yet delivered MR. I am not sure that I understand Palm's game plan by what they have to gain by letting all of those negative comments being posted on their web site.

Fast forward a year and I hope that all of us and I mean all of us we be happy using our "Treo 800's" with (I first saw this rumor this week and all I can say is wow) You see I have a love-hate relationship with Palm.

1. Internal GPS
2. AD2P (clicking on a headset and saying call Steve Sinclair) ( I did not see this in the rumor)
3. CDMA (GSM) on the same phone
4 And let's not forget Wifi too.
5. How bout the Treo Shaving just a little more in thickness (The Blackjack is too thin and so is the Motorola Q)
6. EVDO revision A.

How bout Treo's in two formats?

1. Traditional Treo's
2. Full screen without keyboard to please some Palm users.

Apple will have real competition at this point!

Sideman7

Jun 16, 2006
Visit site
I think if nothing else, the iphone is going to up the ante among PDA phones. Whether Palm chooses to sink or swim, it will be their choice... But look at their track record... Honestly, since the Treo 600 (how many years ago...) what have they actually improved? The 650 got an improved screen... Since then, nothing... Sure the 700p has an EVDO radio, but that isn't innovation on their part. they have essentially done nothing for what, 3-4 years?!?!?! The damn phones have actually gotten slower... And they certainly haven't learned from their mistakes. After a year of the ill-fated 700p, what do they come up with? A new 700p with no antenna and it's 1mm thinner! These people are freakin' rocket scientists... As much as I like the Palm OS, I see the writing on the wall... It's sad that the best Palm phone I owned was made by Samsung...:shake:

captaindan

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
I think the iphone tied it's own hands when they signed the exclusive with ATT. I think they would have done much better if they sold across the board. I don't think a lot of people will switch companies for the iphone, some will but not a lot. I know I wouldn't switch but if I could buy it and stay with Verizon I might do it. Just my 2 cents.

eimajuno

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
I really do not think that the release of the iPhone is going to hurt the sales of a smartphone like Treos. The iPhone is more of a feature phone such as a Sidekick in a smartphone like shell.

efudd

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
I think the iphone tied it's own hands when they signed the exclusive with ATT. I think they would have done much better if they sold across the board. I don't think a lot of people will switch companies for the iphone, some will but not a lot. I know I wouldn't switch but if I could buy it and stay with Verizon I might do it. Just my 2 cents.

i have to agree that the ATT exclusive is a folly if they want to be dominant.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
yes, it will. if you know anything about soccer-mom-ecomics and marketing you would agree.

soon enough they'll all be toting around an iphone.....why?

because they can.

haroldo

Aug 19, 2006
Visit site
Attention moderators.
This thread was moved from a Treo 700p forum to an iPhone forum.
The purpose of the thread was to find out whether users of the 700p think, due to the problems with their unit, the iPhone presents a reasonable alternative. Moving it to a forum where few 700p users will see it, sort of, defeats the purpose.
Who ever moved it didn't understand the nature of, nor the intent of, the poll.
The thread isn't about the iPhone, rather it is about users of one type of PDA considering an alternative.
Please consider moving back to the forum whose user's input is being sought.
Thanks!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i agree with Tasty.......Treo is dying a slow death and the iPhone will be hugely successful......both unrelated to each other.......

everytime i pick up my old Treo (still have one in a drawer) i laugh at how heavy and big the thing is.....that's what is killing it. it's overweight and it's old.

hi!

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Iphone will be huge success but unrelated to Treo. I work in IT and everyone and their mother brings me their new smart phone so I can show them how it works.

Everytime I hold something, everytime I traverse OS's and try to manipulate data, I think how much cooler my Treo is.

There is no match in the market.

Iphone has cool two finger touch screen. Treo beats it appwise in every other sense.

BTW look at the join date. People at that time were:
pissed because Palm was ignoring their needs.
pissed because there was a new brighter phone on the horizon.
pissed because there were no new phone innovations.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Wondering what folks think...

While I intend to buy an iPhone on almost any terms, its overall success will depend in large part on the terms of the offer. My expectation is that the AT&T terms will make the total cost of ownership too high for a consumer device, particularly one that does not support 3G data. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to be locked into a 2G phone until 2009 or 2010.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

All of which is still true.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
i have to agree that the ATT exclusive is a folly if they want to be dominant.
I agree too and I am already a Cingular customer.

[I am also a Sprint Broadband customer. I cannot imagine that most people will buy a 2G phone from a company that offers 3G in only a limited number of markets. Before I signed up with Sprint, I called the local Cingular store and asked when they expected to have 3G coverage in my Zip Code. "Not in 2007" was the answer. As a sometimes savvy consumer, I asked the obvious follow-up question and got an equally unsatisfying answer. Cingular talks a good 3G story but to the extent that they walk the walk, they are dragging their feet.]

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
..........Fast forward a year and I hope that all of us and I mean all of us we be happy using our "Treo 800's" with (I first saw this rumor this week and all I can say is wow) You see I have a love-hate relationship with Palm.

1. Internal GPS
2. AD2P (clicking on a headset and saying call Steve Sinclair) ( I did not see this in the rumor)
3. CDMA (GSM) on the same phone
4 And let's not forget Wifi too.
5. How bout the Treo Shaving just a little more in thickness (The Blackjack is too thin and so is the Motorola Q)
6. EVDO revision A.

How bout Treo's in two formats?

1. Traditional Treo's
2. Full screen without keyboard to please some Palm users.

Apple will have real competition at this point!
We should all live so long. Instead of focusing on the "next big thing," Palm should stick to what little it knows and does well.

yOyOYoo

Apr 26, 2004
Visit site
Iphone will be huge success but unrelated to Treo. I work in IT and everyone and their mother brings me their new smart phone so I can show them how it works.

Everytime I hold something, everytime I traverse OS's and try to manipulate data, I think how much cooler my Treo is.

There is no match in the market.

Iphone has cool two finger touch screen. Treo beats it appwise in every other sense.

wow I'm kind of suprised that you're not a Windows user. The new HTC Kaiser is very very tempting....too bad i'm hooked on the simplicity of the palm OS

efudd

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
I agree too and I am already a Cingular customer.

[I am also a Sprint Broadband customer. I cannot imagine that most people will buy a 2G phone from a company that offers 3G in only a limited number of markets. Before I signed up with Sprint, I called the local Cingular store and asked when they expected to have 3G coverage in my Zip Code. "Not in 2007" was the answer. As a sometimes savvy consumer, I asked the obvious follow-up question and got an equally unsatisfying answer. Cingular talks a good 3G story but to the extent that they walk the walk, they are dragging their feet.]

it looks like sprint will be 4g (assuming wimax is 4g- right?) before cingular even goes 3g.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Leadership

Wondering what folks think...
Treo's future is where it has always been, in Palm's hands. That future looks less secure with every passing day. One only has to compare the price of RIMM and Apple stock to that of Palm to see where the leadership is.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
it looks like sprint will be 4g (assuming wimax is 4g- right?) before cingular even goes 3g.
Cingular/AT&T seems to lack both the resources and the commitment to build out their network. Sprint already has the best and fastest technology (CDMA) and the best coverage. The rest of the GSM world has left the US carriers in the dust. A 3G iPhone might have given them a chance to catch up but alas..............
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/May2007/4703.htm

shows that there are 117M UMTS/HSDPA users in the world but only 2.5M of them are in North America. The good news is that most of those were added in the last quarter. Compare to the Sprint EVDO users. [There may even be a few Verizon EVDO users.]

Laxidasical

Jul 15, 2004
www.jabarihunt.com
Because the iPhone will be limited to AT&T, the other providers will continue to offer competing devices, including the Treo. Further, the I doubt the iPhone will take the Treo's place in business applications. It will bring people into the smartphone fold who haven't been before.

You will be able to purchase unlocked versions at any Apple store, allowing you to use any GSM carrier. Unfortunately, you will probably pay a premium price (no AT&T plan discount).

ScandaLeX

Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
You will be able to purchase unlocked versions at any Apple store, allowing you to use any GSM carrier. Unfortunately, you will probably pay a premium price (no AT&T plan discount).

Personally, if Sprint were to have an iPhone, I'd buy it without question only because it looks sexy and I like having the latest and greatest. I'm not going to leave Sprint for AT&T just to buy the iPhone. I guess it's a shame that Apple didnt make the iPhone for all carriers. That would have been something to rave about.

My current 700p sits in a drawer somewhere. I was so disgusted by its BT performance that I've decided to use my 6700 until something is done about the "p"

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods