Microsoft?s Chris Sorenson said Apple iPhone will be irrelevant to business user

pires

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Apple?s soon-to-be-launched iPhone will be irrelevant to business users because it is a ?closed device? and does not support Microsoft Office, a senior executive with the software giant said this week.

Microsoft?s Asia-Pacific head of smartphone strategy Chris Sorenson said that If you?re an enterprise and want to roll out line of business applications, it?s just not an option. Even using it as a heavy messaging device will be a challenge.?

Refer to iPhone lover for detail information and rumors about iPhone release date.

Insertion

Fear teh Munk!
Jan 10, 2005
fearthemunk.com
Apple?s soon-to-be-launched iPhone will be irrelevant to business users because it is a ?closed device? and does not support Microsoft Office, a senior executive with the software giant said this week.

Microsoft?s Asia-Pacific head of smartphone strategy Chris Sorenson said that If you?re an enterprise and want to roll out line of business applications, it?s just not an option. Even using it as a heavy messaging device will be a challenge.?

Refer to iPhone lover for detail information and rumors about iPhone release date.

Way to generate traffic to your website...I guess I'll join in too, click the links in my sig!

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Seems to me the most interesting thing about this is that someone from Microsoft felt the need to say anything at all. Perhaps this just reflects some angst about what iPhone will do to their share of the market as recorded by canalys and the like. It's already down from 23% in 2004:

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2005/r2005041.htm

to around 14% now:

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2007/r2007024.htm

Sure, those are just headline figures in practice they're selling more WM licences than they ever were before. But headlines can matter, and the iPhone and the Nokia N95 may well push WM into single figures. I just posted a new thread with why i think this could be the case:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=1244737

Yes, Insertion, I'm trying to generate traffic for my thread :D

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Seems to me the most interesting thing about this is that someone from Microsoft felt the need to say anything at all.

Maybe they asked him? If you read Engadget, you will see every comment thread about every phone starts with "But its not an Iphone, is it?" I doubt Microsoft put out a press release.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Apparently M$ has forgotten what the number 1 killer app for business is ? its called a telephone and millions of executives are gonna want one.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Apparently M$ has forgotten what the number 1 killer app for business is ? its called a telephone and millions of executives are gonna want one.

Especially one with killer battery life, touch and durable, and simple to use... just like the iphone...not.

Surur

Tastypeppers

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
In 6 months we will have empirical evidence and be able to answer the questions with facts. We will know whether people vote with their wallets and buy the iPhone. Or not.

The fact that Cingular/ATT has adjusted its messaging pricing and international data pricing is an interesting one that brings them into more plausible territory for me at least. Not as plausible as Sprint :) but at least they aren't trying to compete with Verizon for Highest Cost Provider.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I don't think we will need 6 months. Yesterday, AT&T said that the iPhone WILL appeal to business users and they are hard at work to ensure that the back-end enterprise billing and support systems will accommodate the device when it ships. AT&T has been doing this for a while and I think they of all people would know if the iPhone will serve well in the enterprise.

Check it out:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070424/tc_infoworld/87944

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site

Not to me, I use my blackberry for email, and IM far more than making phone calls. Im sorry, but with IMAP, and pop access only, the iPhone will never be a successful business device.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
^ have to agree with Mobileman....i too carry a blackberry (because i don't have to carry a Treo-brick any longer) and i use its messaging email service/blackberry messenger so much more than i use the phone. i will say this: i work in the investment management industry where real-time emails are necessary.

having said that, this business user will still buy one.

regards

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
Especially one with killer battery life, touch and durable, and simple to use... just like the iphone...not.

Surur

Once again... on one hand anyone who says something good can't say anything about an unreleased device but here you go off with assumptions about that same unreleased device.

You may be right, but it'd be nice to not have to read your slams on supporters for positive assumptions if you're going to make the same types of assumptions on the negative side.

Quake97

Jun 19, 2002
Visit site
Wow, those Microsoft guys are real masters of the obvious. Of course the iPhone won't be for business people. It doesn't do Exchange or BB. I love it when Microsoft idiots say stuff like that. It just makes them looks like real tools.

Joe

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Wow, those Microsoft guys are real masters of the obvious. Of course the iPhone won't be for business people. It doesn't do Exchange or BB. I love it when Microsoft idiots say stuff like that. It just makes them looks like real tools.

Joe

It seems AT&T has not got such a great grasp of the obvious as you.

AT&T pitching iPhone at business?
AT&T (formerly Cingular) hopes to expand the appeal of the iPhone to businesses, sources near the cell provider claim. Although the iPhone has been typically promoted as an entertainment device, the carrier has reportedly changed its billing and support systems for business to handle the Apple device for companies that want to deploy it on a wider scale. An AT&T representative declined to provide additional details, but the news has nevertheless prompted a backlash from analysts, many of whom point to the phone's non-expandability as a red flag for businesses.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/24/att.iphone.business.pitch/

Surur

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Not to me, I use my blackberry for email, and IM far more than making phone calls. Im sorry, but with IMAP, and pop access only, the iPhone will never be a successful business device.

Currently using a Treo 700p and I gte an average of 60-100 emails a day using POP and setting my email to retrieve messages every 5 minutes.

I get about 10 mpegs for viewing everyday via email and download frm the web and I am not using exchange or BB.

I have never understood why people consider BB so much better for email. I can understand the exchange aspect but if you are in a small business under 50 people why spend the extra cash when POP does the trick.

iPhone will do fine and I hope it will have some version of AppleWorks so you can get Word Docs and other MS documents to revise and view.

We will WAIt and see.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Currently using a Treo 700p and I gte an average of 60-100 emails a day using POP and setting my email to retrieve messages every 5 minutes.

I get about 10 mpegs for viewing everyday via email and download frm the web and I am not using exchange or BB.

I have never understood why people consider BB so much better for email. I can understand the exchange aspect but if you are in a small business under 50 people why spend the extra cash when POP does the trick.

iPhone will do fine and I hope it will have some version of AppleWorks so you can get Word Docs and other MS documents to revise and view.

We will WAIt and see.

Pop doesn't do the trick for some of us. Have you ever had a conversation with someone via email and had to wait 5 minutes between each sentence?

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Pop doesn't do the trick for some of us. Have you ever had a conversation with someone via email and had to wait 5 minutes between each sentence?

I set it to retrieve every 5 minutes but it could be set to retrieve every 60 seconds and I can always hit receive.

I have never really seen the need to send messages 1 sentence at a time via email.

I know lots o people love their BB and love the fact they can sit there and fire off IM style communications but I have walked out on meeting with people who sit there and do that. Email is not IM.

schulzmc

Dec 13, 2004
Visit site
As much as I want an iPhone and would love to not have to carry both a Treo and an iPod around all the time, if the iPhone does not sync my calendar and email with my work exchange server, then I won't get one. That's the "must do" item for me... and I'm guessing for a lot of other people.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox