Iphone

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
As far as the iPhone is concerned, I can't imaging typing anything on a touch screen. I never type on the Treo's touch screen (onscreen dialing).
I think once the "WOW" factor wears off, the iPhone will be a status symbol for the young people, but I don't think it can be a workhorse unit for people who need to type in a lot of data. I'm not saying Treos are perfect, but I don't think the iPhone is competing for the same customer as the Treo.
I think typing may be easier than you believe. Using a Treo, your finger actually slows as it progresses through the pressing of a key. This provides for a tactile feedback but does slow the overall process to some degree. Sure you may get a somewhat satisfying clicking of sorts; but compare that to tapping without any need to fully depress a key.

So with the iPhone there are no physical keys requiring a mechanical activation by a relatively precise placement of your finger as with the Treo (or BlackBerry or Motorola Q or etc., etc.). Instead, as your finger approaches the screen, you are presented with a visual que consisting of an enlarging of the anticipated key that you are aiming for. And then the process continues and a split second later, your finger actually hits the screen providing for a touch based feedback. The whole process is really more smooth AND in an unforeseen manner, actually gives the user a key to hit that is virtually larger than what is physically present.

Part of what adds to the smoothness of typing on the iPhone is recognized when you realize that you do not actually need to fully depress a key for that clicking sensation/feedback.

Sorry for this rather vague attempt at trying to explain the difference of typing on a Treo as compared to typing on an iPhone. It is the best I can do to try an explain a rather "hard to explain", and perhaps even abstract, concept.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I have concerns about storage and non-replacable battery too, just like some in this thread.

Of course the 3G iPhone may be out by the time the battery does die. Still, if the old iPhone is in good condition, why dump it? With a new battery, you might be able to at least sell it to get the newer model. I guess we'll have to wait and see how much the replacement battery and labor will be. That will be one big drawback to the iPhone IMO. That and the power limitations of the integrated battery.

As for storage, 12-15GB would have been better IMO, if they want this to sometimes replace your iPod. Although I am not sure 12GB flash is available yet anyway. But they should at least give the option of an expansion card IMO. With an 8GB card with the 8GB phone, that's the capacity.

I also hope they loosen up on the 3rd party app restriction. I think if they don't want 3rd party apps installed, then they better think of everything BEFORE putting out this phone. But of course it may be impossible to forsee what most will or may need. Even if Apple releases 3rd party apps of it's own or on it's approval, fine. But we need 3rd party apps option.
Yeh, yeh, yeh. Consider this:
If the iPod Nano is the most successful iPod ever, even compared to the iPods with greater storage capacity, don't you think the iPhone with it's 8GB of storage (which incidentally bests the iPod Nano by 2GBs) will be enough for the greater market share?

It sounds to me like you are just hunting for specs with big numbers before thinking about actual usage.

In regards to complaints about the battery being non-replacable, it seems that Phone Diva was complaining about the concern of not having enough power before, but now you are complaining about the overall life of the battery and how it will hold up to repeated charges.

First, I'll say again what I have said before. The iPhone's battery life bests any other phone in it's class (ie: Q, Blackjack, Treo 680, BlackBerries etc.). Apple is a master of power savings features and OS X proves it.

As far as the overall life of a battery, I can't help but think this should not be a concern to Americans who thrive on consumerism, especially you Phone Diva, with your ever-changing list of phones found in your TreoCentral signature. I'm not using this as any sort of excuse to cover up any sort of perceived deficiency in the iPhone, but I would like to bring to light this fact so that people might consider this issue when making a purchase decision . Regardless, the batteries in the iPods that Apple has been selling for the last several years have proven to last at LEAST 2 years while maintain that advertised playback time. That should definitely be something to consider.

Incidentally, you will find that 2 years is the maximum length of phone contracts, which is about the length of time the average person holds on to their phone anyway.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
First, I'll say again what I have said before. The iPhone's battery life bests any other phone in it's class (ie: Q, Blackjack, Treo 680, BlackBerries etc.). Apple is a master of power savings features and OS X proves it.
So none of us can really make comments on the iPhone because it is not out yet, so no "fair" evaluation can be made.

Yet you can come on here and say this and we should not question it? The critics cannot speculate but the fans can. And their laptop battery life is not exactly amazing with the Intel chips.

Also, the Q, Blackjack and Blackberries are not in it's class for all the reasons we've mentioned before. I mean, if it can't to BES how it can it be "in the same class" as a BB? Or Exchange? You're not going to see iPhone's in the halls of corporate america.

The iPhone is creating it's own niche market--that is extremely clear. If it steals anyone from the other groups, they were not people who really needed those devices as a tool but wanted a toy.
Regardless, the batteries in the iPods that Apple has been selling for the last several years have proven to last at LEAST 2 years while maintain that advertised playback time. That should definitely be something to consider.

Incidentally, you will find that 2 years is the maximum length of phone contracts, which is about the length of time the average person holds on to their phone anyway.
They use LiON batteries. No magic there.

LiON battery life-span is dependent on 4 major factors:

1) Date of creation--they don't have very long shelf lives
2) Temperature (both of storage and use)--the higher, the worse
3) Draw: if the devices draws a lot of power vs slow trickle, it's worse
4) Charge cycles: 300-500 for lion

So it's not just "2 years" but dependent on the environment it is used in by the individual. People who use iPods every day for hours a time and frequently charge will have short-life spans than the occasional user.

I have seen people zip through iPod batteries after 12 months (they were holding half their charge). Combine that with a cell-phone which is "always on", a video device and an iPod and you've drastically increased the charge/discharge rate.

That's not an iPhone limitation either but with every electronic device.

Maybe they are using a newer type of battery but there is no reason to think that and I'm not aware of any that are massed produced at this point.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
If the iPod Nano is the most successful iPod ever, even compared to the iPods with greater storage capacity, don't you think the iPhone with it's 8GB of storage (which incidentally bests the iPod Nano by 2GBs) will be enough for the greater market share?

It sounds to me like you are just hunting for specs with big numbers before thinking about actual usage. Obviously you're unaware of MY iPod usage!! I personally need more storage, plain and simple!! Regardless of what others want or need! And as I already pointed out, some of the iPhone space will have to be taken up by other things, since this is also a phone.

In regards to complaints about the battery being non-replacable, it seems that Phone Diva was complaining about the concern of not having enough power before, but now you are complaining about the overall life of the battery and how it will hold up to repeated charges. I can't have a battery that runs out before the end of day, NOR do I really like replacing internal batteries. I also usually buy a spare battery in case of the first battery going downhill, which is impossible for the iPhone. One big drawback for me is the iPhone battery.

First, I'll say again what I have said before. The iPhone's battery life bests any other phone in it's class (ie: Q, Blackjack, Treo 680, BlackBerries etc.).Questionable since no one but the testers know for sure. Anyone on here a real tester? Apple is a master of power savings features and OS X proves it.

As far as the overall life of a battery, I can't help but think this should not be a concern to Americans who thrive on consumerism, especially you Phone Diva, with your ever-changing list of phones found in your TreoCentral signature.Well it IS a concern, whether you like it or not. How are you supposed to get rid of phone with a dead non-replacable battery? Is Apple going to do a recycling program? I also couldn't sell a phone like that. I'd have to get the battery replaced first. I'm not using this as any sort of excuse to cover up any sort of perceived deficiency in the iPhone, but I would like to bring to light this fact so that people might consider this issue when making a purchase decision . Regardless, the batteries in the iPods that Apple has been selling for the last several years have proven to last at LEAST 2 years while maintain that advertised playback time. That should definitely be something to consider.Notice how Apple conveniently releases new models right around the time when batteries from the last model might be going dead ;) .And before you say anything about Apple hating, I have more than one iPod and still wish I could use a Powerbook. *stuck with Windows due to software needs, at this time*

Incidentally, you will find that 2 years is the maximum length of phone contracts, which is about the length of time the average person holds on to their phone anyway.And people often sell their old phones if they're the good ones, to pay for a new one. Except how to get rid of a dead non-replacable battery phone?

My thoughts in red. And it isn't that I hate the iPhone, I just don't see it as the super-device everyone else thinks it is.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
So none of us can really make comments on the iPhone because it is not out yet, so no "fair" evaluation can be made.

Yet you can come on here and say this and we should not question it?
I wasn't speculating. I was making that statement based on published facts from the manufacturers.

Is there a manufacturer that you do not trust to rely on published specs?

Also, the Q, Blackjack and Blackberries are not in it's class for all the reasons we've mentioned before.
What are these reasons? Seriously, Are you talking about the lack of BB software for the iPhone? The iPhone will have it's own unique solution for push email; just as the Nokia does with "Intellisync", just as the Q with "Good Technologies", just as the M$ based Treo 750 with "Exchange"...

I mean, if it can't to BES how it can it be "in the same class" as a BB? Or Exchange? You're not going to see iPhone's in the halls of corporate america.

The iPhone is creating it's own niche market--that is extremely clear. If it steals anyone from the other groups, they were not people who really needed those devices as a tool but wanted a toy.

They use LiON batteries. No magic there.
I don't see it as magic, I just see my comments as fact.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I wasn't speculating. I was making that statement based on published facts from the manufacturers.

Is there a manufacturer that you do not trust to rely on published specs?
No, I don't trust any manufacture. I trust real world usage by people who actually use them and online reviews of the device. e.g. the Q is "rated" at 4 hours talk time yet in this review gets 4.5 hours. The BB 8800 is rated at 5 hours talk time yet gets something closer to 4.5. The Macbook Pro with Coreduo is rated at 5 hours but a lot users get something closer to 4 hours. Mind you a 1/2 difference in battery life between GSM and CDMA phones can be explained just by the fact GSM has more efficient radios than CDMA (the moto Q GSM is now rated at 5 hours, 1 more than it's CDMA brother)

So yes, I think relying on published specs as fact instead of a guideline is the height of naivete in the tech world. And since no one here as used an iPhone is real life usage, taking Apple's word is silly and simple-minded.
What are these reasons? Seriously, Are you talking about the lack of BB software for the iPhone? The iPhone will have it's own unique solution for push email; just as the Nokia does with "Intellisync", just as the Q with "Good Technologies", just as the M$ based Treo 750 with "Exchange"...

I don't see it as magic, I just see my comments as fact.
It's "own unique solution for push email"? Yahoo?

Yes, I can see it now. Tons of companies with invested money in BES infrastructure are going to surrender this system to Yahoo and the iPhone. Same with companies that use Exchange and are planning on upgrading to Exchange 2007/WM6 with those amazing features which the iPhone will never compete on. (Hint: it's not meant to).

As far as other reasons they are not the same class:

- No 3g
- No Exchange/BB/Good Technologies support (you an do all 3 on WM)
- No 3rd party software for business
- No integration with existing systems
- No VOIP (Skype, Gtalk, etc.)
- No remote admin, FTP
- No information rights management
- No security features (remote wipe, encryption)
- No message flagging, search server, out-of-office, etc.

Smartphone/PPCs/BBs, etc are all business devices primarily. The iPhone is for yuppies who want more than a normal cell phone but none of the business features. It's an entertainment device with a phone.

This is so obvious and the fact I have to explain it to you speaks volumes.

naivete

Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
My problems with the iPhone so far are as follows:

1. I don't like using a soft keyboard.
2. It's Cingular/ATT only.
3. Don't know how fast this baby runs.

EDIT: Battery life is good.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
No, I don't trust any manufacture. I trust real world usage by people who actually use them and online reviews of the device. e.g. the Q is "rated" at 4 hours talk time yet in this review gets 4.5 hours. The BB 8800 is rated at 5 hours talk time yet gets something closer to 4.5. The Macbook Pro with Coreduo is rated at 5 hours but a lot users get something closer to 4 hours. Mind you a 1/2 difference in battery life between GSM and CDMA phones can be explained just by the fact GSM has more efficient radios than CDMA (the moto Q GSM is now rated at 5 hours, 1 more than it's CDMA brother)

So yes, I think relying on published specs as fact instead of a guideline is the height of naivete in the tech world. And since no one here as used an iPhone is real life usage, taking Apple's word is silly and simple-minded.
I take Apple's word because I have been using their products for a very long time and I trust there publishings. Everything that I have purchased from them has returned better battery life than published so that is why I can say with confidence that the iPhone will have 5 hours of battery life... as published. You would know this if you knew anything about Apple's products... but you clearly do not.

Oh, and none of Apple's products use LiON batteries as you state. They use Lithium-polymer batteries, which are not dependent on the environment or the limited number of charges as you state, or the temperature or the draw.

The do boast about a 20% greater energy density than your lithium ion batteries though, and they can be shaped to fit the device it powers, plus they offer 10,000 charge cycles before showing significant wear. This bests the cheaper batteries used in all other electronics today, such as every single device you mention above - except for those made by Apple. And though is has not yet been officially stated, it is certainly reasonable to assume that this is the type of battery Apple will be incorporating in the iPhone which will serve to best all other phones on the market.

Yes, as your friend says, the MacBook Pro will only give you 3.5 - 4 hours if you are using wi-fi for that entire time but a drop like this is to be expected on any device and is listed in Apple's published specs anyway, as it should be; unlike others.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
It's coming, but first the providers have to build it. :p

- No Exchange/BB/Good Technologies support (you an do all 3 on WM)
It does have some Exchange support (though, I will admit it is unknown at this time, to what degree of support it will offer), and Yahoo support... and I'd be willing to wager that it will have yet another e-mail technology solution soon after it arrives.

- No 3rd party software for business
hmph...

- No integration with existing systems
What are you talking about? It integrates with more than you know apparently.

- No VOIP (Skype, Gtalk, etc.)
Nope. Cisco will probably be providing a tie-in VOIP solution though.

- No remote admin, FTP
Again, I would be willing to wager that Apple will eventually provide such a solution. In a sense it already has this capability if you used a web-based solution.

- No security features (remote wipe, encryption)
It has the best security features available.

- No message flagging, search server, out-of-office, etc.
I assume you are talking about e-mail functionality here — which it will have.

Smartphone/PPCs/BBs, etc are all business devices primarily. The iPhone is for yuppies who want more than a normal cell phone but none of the business features. It's an entertainment device with a phone.

This is so obvious and the fact I have to explain it to you speaks volumes.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Oh, and none of Apple's products use LiON batteries as you state. They use Lithium-polymer batteries...
...and I stand corrected. :eek:

Good to know, though I'll still wait for real world tests with people. :p Seeing as it doesn't have 3g (hmph) it should have decent battery life anyways. That's why the HTC Dash gets great reviews too...

I do want to be clear: I'm not slamming Apple for battery life, I'm just aware of what they're up against. Until a revolution in batteries becomes mass-market, these converged devices will always be limited imo, regardless of make or OS. Some will fair better than others but they will be modest gains.

As far as Apple competing with WM and BB, all I have to say is this: Microsoft's target with WM6 is right on RIM/BlackBerry. They said as much when they discussed the code-name "Crossbow" being aimed at their competitors. So if MS's "target" is RIM and it's corporate affilations, what does the iPhone bring to the table as far as business support?

I would suggest not much. Which is fine since I don't think they are after that to begin with.

What they are doing is bringing things like 'push email' to the pro-sumer, which is how technology usually works: corporate use first, trickle down to mass market when financially feasible. Apple is not the first to do this (MS and hotmail will be push soon, Yahoo as well, Sprint has a push solution for regular folks too, etc.), but it is commendable and recognized Apple will be successful in getting it to market, broadly.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site

As requested in the other thread, I'd like to see the sales numbers for Nanos if you have them. You're wrong about Nano capacities though. Top capacity is '8 GB' - actual storage capacity (of mine at least): 7.5 GB.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
And their laptop battery life is not exactly amazing with the Intel chips.
I've been very pleased with the battery life of my MacBook. Apple says 'up to 6 hours' and while I don't think I've seen that I've certainly had the best part of five hours. It depends a lot of course on what you're doing. The processor speed is scaled back if the full 2 GHz isn't required and processor-intensive tasks hit battery life hard; screen brightness seems to have a pretty big impact too.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
It's coming, but first the providers have to build it. :p
You'll be in the US then :) Apple really need to rethink if they're planning to release a non-3G iPhone in Europe. A GPRS phone (which is what it would be in much of Europe, including the UK, where there's little or no EDGE) is simply crazy. Skating to where the puck was five years ago? Not a good plan!

Also, for the UK, NOT VODAFONE! There is simply no point to an internet-connected device when connection to the internet is prohibitively expensive. Vodafone UK data charges are STILL ?2.35 (about $4.60) per MB. For comparison, T-Mobile UK 'unlimited' packages: ?7.50 pcm(capped at 1 GB) to ?22.50 pcm (capped at 10 GB). I guess Apple might be able to negotiate some reduction in data cost or perhaps Vodafone will reduce anyway, but unless that happens the iPhone's prospects on Vodafone would be truly crippled by these costs - more so even than the Treo 750 (because iPhone is more consumer oriented).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Marcol, probably not. For one, the phone is meant for newbies who would not be exploiting the connected features of the device (i.e. no streaming music, no over the air downloads) and two, GPRS by itself will inhibit people from using the internet browser to its full abilities. Lastly, Vodafone would love to have a device which persuades people to use the internet despite the prohibitive costs, making them more money.

The IPhone and Vodafone is a perfect fit.

Oh, and none of Apple's products use LiON batteries as you state. They use Lithium-polymer batteries, which are not dependent on the environment or the limited number of charges as you state, or the temperature or the draw.

The do boast about a 20% greater energy density than your lithium ion batteries though, and they can be shaped to fit the device it powers, plus they offer 10,000 charge cycles before showing significant wear. This bests the cheaper batteries used in all other electronics today, such as every single device you mention above - except for those made by Apple. And though is has not yet been officially stated, it is certainly reasonable to assume that this is the type of battery Apple will be incorporating in the iPhone which will serve to best all other phones on the market.

From Apple.com

Lithium Ion Batteries

Rechargeable Lithium-based technology currently provides the best performance for your Apple notebook computer or iPod. You can also find this standard battery technology in devices such as cell phones and PDAs. Apple batteries share the characteristics common to Lithium-based technology found in other devices. Like other rechargeable batteries, these batteries may eventually require replacement.

Standard Technology
Lithium-ion batteries pack in a higher power density than Nickel-based batteries. This gives you a longer battery life in a lighter package, as Lithium is the lightest metal. You can also recharge a Lithium-ion battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep Nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in Nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge).

Standard Charging
Most Lithium-ion batteries use a fast charge to charge your device to 80% battery capacity, then switch to trickle charging. That?s about two hours charge time to power iPod to 80% capacity, then another two hours to fully charge iPod, if you are not using iPod while charging. You can charge all Lithium-ion batteries a large but finite number of times, as defined by charge cycle.

Charge Cycle.
Using and recharging 100% of battery capacity equals one full charge cycle.

A charge cycle means using all of the battery?s power, but that doesn?t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle. Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put both notebook and iPod batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity. As with other rechargeable batteries, you may eventually need to replace your battery.

How to Maximize Power Use
The length of time your battery will power your device depends on how you use it. For instance, watching a DVD will use up your notebook battery?s power more quickly than simple word processing. You can follow some simple steps to maximize your notebook?s or iPod?s battery life.

Hot Tip
If you use your iPod or notebook in temperatures higher than its specified operating range, 95?F (or 35?C), you may permanently damage your battery?s capacity. I.e., your battery won?t power your device as long on any given charge. You may damage it even more if you charge the device in these temperatures. Even storing a battery in a hot environment can damage it irreversibly.

On Playing It Cool
You may find that playing an iPod in a very cold environment decreases battery life. Unlike a hot environment, this is a temporary condition. Once molecules in the battery warm up, the battery will return to its previous capacity.
https://www.apple.com/batteries/#mn_p

btw, Archie, Lithium Polymer has no more recharge cycles than lithium ion, about 500. Wrong again. Dont grab the most optimistic numbers from the internet and suddenly claim Apple is using that tech. 10 000 cycles indeed. I guess those Ipods that were crapping out were old stock from 27 years ago.

You are such a blind fanboy. I hear the latest Mac Pro uses atomic batteries and never needs recharging. Thats because they are really 5 years ahead of everyone else!

I gues all these othe Appleusers are also amazed with Apple's battery tech!

I have had a 12-inch PowerBook for a little over 18 months, and now anytime I unplug my laptop from the outlet it turns off. I honestly feel ripped off because the problem began around 1 month after my 12 month warranty.

(4 of 15 people found this review useful)

Poor apple product
Written by JH from Charlottesville
March 2, 2007

Report this as inappropriate >

I've had my 12' powerbook for over three years. It has been through 474 load cycles, and it is just now getting down below half it's original capacity.
Its not unreasonable to have to spend 150 bucks every couple of years to maintain a tool that I ... Read more >use every day.

(7 of 15 people found this review useful)

I can't complain.
Written by JM from Burnaby
February 13, 2007

Report this as inappropriate >

I had my powerbook for about a year ann then the battery life went down 30mins and then around 6 months later it went down to 1 min. so if it is not pluged in is computer truns off right in the middidle of what you are doing. then one time my powerbo... Read more >ok came unpluged and i did not notice because the powercord comes out to easy and my computer truned off and when i powered it back up it had locked up andi went to the mac store they told me tht they only way to fix it was to re-load mac OX ten. but because my hard drive was locked up we could not save the ANY!!!!! of the DATA. because of this i lost many photographic pojects that were in progress. all of music gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this battery is a major problem. i just hope the new models don't have this same problem. the powerbook is great but the battery in hinestight makes that it not worth buying, because i have lost stuff i can't buy back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(10 of 31 people found this review useful)

this battery sucks
Written by CB from San Francisco
February 11, 2007
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:...0+site:apple.com+500&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...bjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID&token=GgOIWrG9

Archie, again,wrong, wrong, wrong :shake: :rolleyes:

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
You'll be in the US then :) Apple really need to rethink if they're planning to release a non-3G iPhone in Europe. A GPRS phone (which is what it would be in much of Europe, including the UK, where there's little or no EDGE) is simply crazy. Skating to where the puck was five years ago? Not a good plan!

Not a lot of EDGE in Europe??? I was unaware of that!! No wonder SE refuses to make a lot of EDGE phones!

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Marcol, probably not. For one, the phone is meant for newbies who would not be exploiting the connected features of the device
I don't think I agree with this. I don't know who you're defining as 'newbies' (people new to smartphones?) but it seems very clear to me that the sales pitch from Apple is emphasising that it's an internet device. From the keynote onwards they've hammered the message that it's a phone, a widescreen iPod AND an internet device. Take a look here:

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...2F%2Fwww.apple.com%2Fiphone%2F&token=zwGQKHuO

It seems very clear that Apple means the device to be used by people who will use the connected features (web browsing, email, google maps, widgets that connect to the internet). There are 15 app icons shown on the iPhone home screen that we've seen so far (see the page linked above) and five of those apps would be useless without internet connection.

(i.e. no streaming music, no over the air downloads)
That may be the case (at least in first iteration) but that doesn't mean there are no internet connected apps (see above: 5/15).

and two, GPRS by itself will inhibit people from using the internet browser to its full abilities.
Which is why it needs 3G (in EDGE-less Europe at least).

Lastly, Vodafone would love to have a device which persuades people to use the internet despite the prohibitive costs, making them more money.
I'm sure they would. Thing is, will Apple go with them if data costs emasculate the device?

The IPhone and Vodafone is a perfect fit.
I don't think it's a perfect fit at all but the rumours are than Vodafone are (early) favourites to get it:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...-8F8F-3C82B40DF28F}&dist=dist=rss&siteid=mktw

The same rumour has Apple favouring a single, pan-European carrier. Vodafone are pretty much the only carrier that meets that requirement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodafone

Think again, Apple!

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Not a lot of EDGE in Europe??? I was unaware of that!! No wonder SE refuses to make a lot of EDGE phones!
I've heard it said of Europe generally but have really only looked into it in any detail for the UK. Of the five major UK carriers, Vodafone, Orange, O2, T-Mobile and 3, I think I'm right in saying only Orange has any EDGE network at all, and that's only to fill in the gaps in the 3G coverage. Basically, they skipped EDGE and went straight to UMTS.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
It may be true about not a lot of EDGE in Europe. Although Nokia seems to include EDGE on it's good phones anyway, I'm guessing because SE is Asia based(?), it just goes straight for UMTS to cover both Asia and Europe without having to install another radio? I'm just speculating, but I've wondered why SE hates EDGE so much.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Actually, some of research reveals there's quite a bit of EDGE in Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDGE#Europe

but it's still fair to say that most carriers in most countries have little or no EDGE network. According to the above, there's only one carrier with any EDGE in the UK, one carrier in Germany, no EDGE carriers in Spain, Vodafone has EDGE in only one country, etc, etc.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner