Honestly, will the iPhone have enough storage for some?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I just looked at my iPod and it looks like I've neared the 7GB mark and I still have a lot more music to put on it. I couldn't even use the 8GB at this point! iPhone needs to have an expansion slot IMO. Can't give up the iPod just yet.

Yeah I know the iPhone is obviously a phone first, but since it's also an all-in-one video and audio device, I wouldn't have to carry the iPod along if the iPhone had more storage. But that's just me. Maybe the storage is enough for most people. But so many still use the 30/60/80 iPods, makes me wonder how many are going to convert to the iPhone when the storage is nowhere near the same. Nano users already are used to less space, but what about the hard drive users? What do you think?

Christinac130

Feb 28, 2005
Visit site
Maybe that's what Apple wants...for people to carry the "cool, sleek" looking iPhone AND their iPods. If they don't provide enough memory, people will still want to buy the higher capacity iPods and they make money hand over fist... ;)

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
without knowing the final details, i plan to create a dedicated playlist (500mb-1gb??) specifically for the iphone. that should more than suffice for my on-the-go needs.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Yeah, playlists seem to be the easiest answer. I plan to get a Seagate BT/WiFi 20gb hard drive as soon as they are available. Actually, I'll wait a month or so an see if they (or anyone else) comes up with even more capacity. Should be out nearly the same time as the iPhone. Coincidence?? Meanwhile, I'll use playlists...

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
The one problem with iPod playlists: you may eventually get sick of listening to the same thing. iPods also don't shuffle very well, I've noticed. I've created 2GB playlists for exactly the same reason you all mentioned, and it has to be rearranged often because I keep getting the same songs popping up. 3 or 4GB playlists would help stop that, I'm guessing. But that's a lot of space on a 4 or even 8GB phone, you might need it for something else.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Maybe that's what Apple wants...for people to carry the "cool, sleek" looking iPhone AND their iPods. If they don't provide enough memory, people will still want to buy the higher capacity iPods and they make money hand over fist... ;)

But the iPhone is an iPod also. That's why I wouldn't want to carry both. It would be nice if Apple came out with a 12GB iPhone(yeah I know, probably wishful thinking).

Christinac130

Feb 28, 2005
Visit site
But the iPhone is an iPod also. That's why I wouldn't want to carry both. It would be nice if Apple came out with a 12GB iPhone(yeah I know, probably wishful thinking).

That's exactly why I'm not all that excited about it...yet ;) . The iPhone is suppose to eliminate the need to carry multiple devices. I have an 8gb card in the Treo, so I'll wait until Apple makes something that blows the Treo away. The last thing I want to do is go backwards by carrying more than one device again...

bloodycape77

May 27, 2006
Visit site
8gig is way to little. I really want to by a flash player but 8gigs is just half of all the music I carry. The thing is Samsung and Sandisk have the capability to have 12, 16, or even 32gig flash to the market but the issues becomes that they become a little too pricey. The closest flash device to 12gigs would be the 4gig Cowon D2 with an 8gig SDHC(beta firmware has support for HC cards right now). If Appple added an sd card think about 8gigs of built in space and another 8gig of expansion at the same time or 2gig if they go with mini or micro sd.

Interesting enough Sony has had the UX umpc out in 16gig flash memory for a little over year now and 32gig for a few months now. Maybe someone can get the 16 or 32gig ss flash hd and install it on their device like the Nano or the iRiver Clix?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
please let me know how any of you could possibly listen to that many GB's of music on any device for short time periods (commuting, gym, car wash, domestic airline travel).....again, for recreational usage, 500mb-1gb is a ton!!!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I can actually answer that. Some people, like my wife, dont sync very often at all. If fact, since loading her music at Christmas she has not synced since.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
please let me know how any of you could possibly listen to that many GB's of music on any device for short time periods (commuting, gym, car wash, domestic airline travel).....again, for recreational usage, 500mb-1gb is a ton!!!

You must rip at low bit rates. I use 192 and up VBR MP3. Or 320 AAC. Those are big files. 1GB is not as much as you think at those file sizes. Plus I use the shuffle option, and still iPod has often given me the same song within 1 or 2 hrs.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
8 Gigs is just enough for me. I checked my iTunes library. These are my specs.

1504 items (music and television programming)
6.71 Gigs
4.4 days (continuous play)

ktm97

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
At least when travel I can carry extra cards & batteries, I don't think the iphone will last very long on a single charge, while listening to music & surfing the net

kimozabe

Mar 10, 2007
www.kimozabe.com
I cant believe that the iphone is not going to come out with an expansion slot! To think, months ago, I was contemplating on replacing my Treo Fanaticism with a product from Apple! Sorry, they just lost one buyer... again.
Sometimes, simplicity isn't that simple after all. Anyone hear if Apple finally decided on releasing their codes for third party softwares? Just wondering, either way, NO EXPANSION SLOT - NO MONEY TO APPLE FROM ME. :D

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Again, this issue is easy enough to solve...
If you want or need your entire terabyte music collection on one device (or every single device), this product is not for you. I have been changing playlists to fit 1 and 2 gig cards since my first Treo. Having 8gb means not more music for me, but that I can double the bit rates. If I find 8gb isn't enough, I will be buying one of those bt disk drives with 20gb to use with my Nikon digital slr (through a wifi connection). It should work well with the iPhone, as well. Seriously, I can't imagine 50-60 songs not getting me through a week or so without changing...

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i respect what it is that you all might say but i have 585 songs occupying 2.65gb's in my itunes library....is it a necessity to have all of them on my pda/phone? i don't think so. my ipod exists for dedicated purposes, i don't expect or require my pda to replace such.

i'm surprised it's such a necessity for so many of you...seriously

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh