Honestly, will the iPhone have enough storage for some?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
thanks on the correction. i simply find it interesting that so many people's storage needs have increased so dramatically from what they currently have on their treos. that's what i find interesting. i look at the iphone as another device offering to choose from, not just as a replacement for my current phone/ipod. but hey, that's just me.

regards

Not converged? Remember that Jobs keynote slide, with the web-tablet, phone and video Ipod in one? The intention at least is to do everything well, but of course this is usually not possible, and converged usually means compromise.

Surur

catskill05

Jul 24, 2005
Visit site
Phone Diva, what iPod are you using that repeats the same songs. I have never had that happen, unless I reset the playlist and then hit "shuffle songs" again. I am not familiar with iPod shuffles/nanos though...
I happen to take Mass transit mostly everywhere, and I always have my 20GB with me. However, I rarley get through more than 40-70 songs in a day.
I had another question too (it may be a dumb question) , isn't WiFi faster than 3G?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
in earnest, never watched the keynote. as for being converged, i suppose i'm just old fashioned and lazy....i use my ipod for music and my phone/pda as a phone and on-the-go email/browsing device, and my laptop/pc for more real computing needs. i hear ya though.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Phone Diva, what iPod are you using that repeats the same songs. I have never had that happen, unless I reset the playlist and then hit "shuffle songs" again. I am not familiar with iPod shuffles/nanos though...
I happen to take Mass transit mostly everywhere, and I always have my 20GB with me. However, I rarley get through more than 40-70 songs in a day.
I had another question too (it may be a dumb question) , isn't WiFi faster than 3G?

I just got a used 20GB. It doesn't seem to have the shuffling problem. I think only 1 or 2 songs showed up again in 3 hrs., and I have 1.7GB loaded. I had used the Shuffle, it didn't "shuffle". I dumped it. Also the 5.5 gen. has some problems shuffling thoroughly too. I'll just have to add more music to trick the machine, but that option obviously did not work on the Shuffle because of very low storage. Looks like older iPods may be better at shuffling.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
in earnest, never watched the keynote. as for being converged, i suppose i'm just old fashioned and lazy....i use my ipod for music and my phone/pda as a phone and on-the-go email/browsing device, and my laptop/pc for more real computing needs. i hear ya though.

Most of the time, I do too. But the chance to carry an iPod/ phone device is tempting. However it looks like a no-go for me, so far. I'd either drain the battery or get frustrated with storage.

Like I said before, I never really used the Treo for music. The storage is used for stuff I need. Music is entertainment.

Boy are we spoiled these days! I remember when we had to listen to every boring thing while on the bus, train, exercising or while running errands! The Walkman changed everything!

Christinac130

Feb 28, 2005
Visit site
may i ask when it is during the day that you listen to 3-4gb worth of music?

i'm very impressed with some people's storage needs, all of a sudden. didn't know that so many had such large (greater than 1-2gb) and FULL expansion cards on their devices!!!

taken from Palm.com:
60MB persistent user storage, non-volatile flash Memory
miniSD card slot; up to 2GB card supported Expansion

so 8gb on a iPhone isn't enough but 2.60gb on a Treo is? what am i missing?

I don't think people's storage needs have changed "all of a sudden". Even though Palm states the maximum SD support is 2gb, a lot of us have the 4gb and 8gb cards working in our Treos. The other difference is the ability to add more storage. The iPhone will come with a maximum of 8gb, where the Treo is virtually unlimited because you can switch between as many cards as you'd like.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I just looked at my iPod and it looks like I've neared the 7GB mark and I still have a lot more music to put on it. I couldn't even use the 8GB at this point! iPhone needs to have an expansion slot IMO. Can't give up the iPod just yet.
Seriously, what would you put in this expansion slot if it had one. Is there a new affordable 9GB card out that I don't know about?

Yeah I know the iPhone is obviously a phone first, but since it's also an all-in-one video and audio device, I wouldn't have to carry the iPod along if the iPhone had more storage. But that's just me. Maybe the storage is enough for most people. But so many still use the 30/60/80 iPods, makes me wonder how many are going to convert to the iPhone when the storage is nowhere near the same. Nano users already are used to less space, but what about the hard drive users? What do you think?
It 's 8GBs. That's 5 and a half days of non-stop, non-repeated music! Most people sync their phones up at least every week, allowing you to get new music from iTunes if you want it.

This isn't a problem in the real world; except for those that like to refer to technical specs and numbers, ignoring how the phone is in actual use. And even at that, I ask again, what phone gives you more storage than this for your music?

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
The one problem with iPod playlists: you may eventually get sick of listening to the same thing. iPods also don't shuffle very well, I've noticed. I've created 2GB playlists for exactly the same reason you all mentioned, and it has to be rearranged often because I keep getting the same songs popping up. 3 or 4GB playlists would help stop that, I'm guessing. But that's a lot of space on a 4 or even 8GB phone, you might need it for something else.
Did you know that you can generate playlist content in a random manner from iTunes?

Did you know that iTunes actually incorporates a Smart Shuffle randomizer to counteract this perceived un-randomness that users believe to be inherent with the iPod. It actually analyzes the random songs played and changes the likelihood of the user actually hearing the same songs, it does away with a sequential playback.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
That's exactly why I'm not all that excited about it...yet ;) . The iPhone is suppose to eliminate the need to carry multiple devices. I have an 8gb card in the Treo, so I'll wait until Apple makes something that blows the Treo away. The last thing I want to do is go backwards by carrying more than one device again...
Wait, 8GBs is good for the Treo but not the iPhone... ?

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
What if you want something other than music? Movies, Audio Books and eBooks would take up a ton of that memory too...
Yes, and unlike music, when you have viewed a movie or TV show or a book, you don't want to watch it again for a great while so you get rid of it. Sync up new content.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
i respect what it is that you all might say but i have 585 songs occupying 2.65gb's in my itunes library....is it a necessity to have all of them on my pda/phone? i don't think so. my ipod exists for dedicated purposes, i don't expect or require my pda to replace such.

i'm surprised it's such a necessity for so many of you...seriously
I'm surprised too. They are making irrational excuses and trying to defend them with specs and numbers. Actual usage cannot be measured with numbers.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Surur said:
Thats 2.06. Anyway, remember, the Iphone is not meant to replace the Treo, as alone its not as good a Smartphone as a Treo. Its meant to replace a Treo and an Ipod, and it seems a sub-par video Ipod replacement, due to the low storage.

Surur
thanks on the correction. i simply find it interesting that so many people's storage needs have increased so dramatically from what they currently have on their treos. that's what i find interesting. i look at the iphone as another device offering to choose from, not just as a replacement for my current phone/ipod. but hey, that's just me.

regards
Actually surur, the iPhone IS meant to compete and replace the Treo. That is why it was directly compared to it on multiple occasions during a keynote address.

Oh and if 8 hours of tv shows is not enough for you before you are able to sync up the next week's episodes, I'm not sure what to say. Maybe "get a life".

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I don't think people's storage needs have changed "all of a sudden". Even though Palm states the maximum SD support is 2gb, a lot of us have the 4gb and 8gb cards working in our Treos. The other difference is the ability to add more storage. The iPhone will come with a maximum of 8gb, where the Treo is virtually unlimited because you can switch between as many cards as you'd like.
Ugg! Keeping track of all those cards that you envision giving you virtually unlimited storage is a pain. Worrying about the card popping out... a pain, syncing content of folder structures properly is impossible, swapping multiple cards... again a pain I'd rather not have, creating an accessible directory of unmounted SD card content is impossible, SD card speeds are inferior compared to flash memory like that of the iPhone. I could go on but needless to say, I much prefer Apple's chosen solution - simple and clean.

Christinac130

Feb 28, 2005
Visit site
Ugg! Keeping track of all those cards that you envision giving you virtually unlimited storage is a pain. Worrying about the card popping out... a pain, syncing content of folder structures properly is impossible, swapping multiple cards... again a pain I'd rather not have, creating an accessible directory of unmounted SD card content is impossible, SD card speeds are inferior compared to flash memory like that of the iPhone. I could go on but needless to say, I much prefer Apple's chosen solution - simple and clean.

Wow...you've missed us! :p

I have no opinion one way or another about the iPhone, I was merely stating that more memory is possible with the Treo and not the iPhone.

Did you have a nice trip? I can see the iPhone threads will have a lot more fire in them now...you were missed ;)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Actually surur, the iPhone IS meant to compete and replace the Treo. That is why it was directly compared to it on multiple occasions during a keynote address.

Oh and if 8 hours of tv shows is not enough for you before you are able to sync up the next week's episodes, I'm not sure what to say. Maybe "get a life".

Maybe with 9 posts in a row you need to get a life.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
How about 2000. Will that cut it ? ...because that is what the iPhone will give you.

The projected storage numbers are always reduced by high bit rate files, which is what I use.

Anyway with an expansion slot, maybe I could put an 8GB in there and I can get the near 15GB I need.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Seriously, what would you put in this expansion slot if it had one. Is there a new affordable 9GB card out that I don't know about?

It 's 8GBs. That's 5 and a half days of non-stop, non-repeated music! Most people sync their phones up at least every week, allowing you to get new music from iTunes if you want it.

This isn't a problem in the real world; except for those that like to refer to technical specs and numbers, ignoring how the phone is in actual use. And even at that, I ask again, what phone gives you more storage than this for your music?

On the expansion card, I'd put videos, maybe more music, and some audiobooks.

And here's what you're missing in my case. Another reason I need all that music is so I DON'T have to keep syncing. I have much of what I want already on the iPod. Also videos take up more space than music. If I want videos on the iPhone, I'm then going to have to ration even more space.

I actually don't seriously use phones for music unlike others. Until the iPhone came into view as a chance to dump the iPod, that is.