I just saw an iPhone commercial!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Well I have used up 7 hrs. a few times, then the battery went dead. :(

I wanted to listen to music and didn't want neighbors knocking on the door complaining(it has happened before :D ), so I used my iPod.

cavingjan#IM

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
Twelve hours is not very difficult when you are travelling. I've already listened to entire audio books in one trip because of layovers and delays. (Nothing like leaving DC at 6 AM and arriving in Hawaii at 4 AM local time. Glad my MP3 player runs on AAAs.)

Dunc

Jun 9, 2002
www.dunc-it.com
I think apple is gonna have a hard time with battery power being use up to quickly thanks to their big bright screen with constantly running tilt sensors.

You think they'll have a hard time? The 680's battery life sucks and everyone seems to be fine with that. Why should we treat Apple any differently?

Dunc

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
^^^how quickly other people forget....i think i posted the same earlier on....the retort? one can buy an extended battery or even carry multiple batteries on their person for those instances where they need them. if i was on extended biz travel then i suppose a removable battery could come into play but definately not on a day to day basis.

Dunc, your a voice of reason.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
But the iPhone will last twice as long as the Blackjack.

Anyway, if I am going to be traveling for an extended period of time, I would rather have one recharging battery pack that can charge ANY USB (or Firewire for that matter) device that I may have ? 5, 6, maybe 7 different chargings. This to me is more handy and usefull than having a removable battery.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
But the iPhone will last twice as long as the Blackjack.
Rated talk time on the Blackjack is 5.5 hours and the iPhone is 5 hours (and you always go by what the companies say), so I'm not sure how that's twice as much.

Also the Blackjack would get less battery life simply b/c it is actually a modern device with 3G/HSDPA, which is known battery drain, same with EvDo.

If you disable HSPDA (done through a simple tweak) and make it equal with the iPhone then you'll have an actual fair comparison.

Why should we treat Apple any differently?

Dunc
They say they set their standards higher?

Maybe b/c they are claiming to "reinvent the phone"? Is it too much to expect better battery life?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Samsung gives an extra battery with the blackjack, so its not such an outlandish idea.

Surur

you are correct, Samsung absolutely does as you say.

i say carrying around multiple batteries on one's person on a daily basis is absurd at best. silly. stupid. ridiculous.

say no to phones that come with two batteries out of the box.

but that's just me.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

i say carrying around multiple batteries on one's person on a daily basis is absurd at best. silly. stupid. ridiculous.

but that's just me.
Since one must have two batteries for the 680 in any case, better out of the box than having to buy one in the after-market. Well, okay, I guess after market batteries are better than those from Palm.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

but that's just me.
At least Samsung admits that one needs two batteries.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
At least Samsung admits that one needs two batteries.
Plus last I checked the Blackjack is still rated for higher battery life/talk time on a single battery than the iPhone coupled with the fact Samsung doesn't require you to carry two batteries around with you, so that makes the aforementioned argument a bit silly.

But it's a nice option for those who need it something the iPhone could not even offer if Apple wanted. Samsung will also be rolling out WM6 for the BJ for free -- a nice consideration on their part.

Fact is, going by what the iPhone is rated at for talk time, it is far from revolutionary and if anything is on par with what is out there today for non-3g devices. Real world tests will shed great light on this topic.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Since one must have two batteries for the 680 in any case, better out of the box than having to buy one in the after-market. Well, okay, I guess after market batteries are better than those from Palm.

and a good reason why so many 680's made their way back to Palm.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
if a phone can't last all day on normal/average use and on an overnight charge, it too will make its way back to the manufacturer. well, at least any that i tried out did.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Rated talk time on the Blackjack is 5.5 hours and the iPhone is 5 hours (and you always go by what the companies say), so I'm not sure how that's twice as much.

I'm not sure why you included in parenthesis that little bit about "always going by what the companies say"; especially since Samsung does not list the expected battery life anywhere on their website or in any of the user guides or manuals that come with the phone.

I justify my comments based on user experiences as reported all over the web as well as listed specs (3 hour talk time) from sites like:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1066

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-i607-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU1236085

How can you justify your comments. No, really, I want to know.

But before you respond, recognize the fact that Cingular's listed battery life specs are as published based on the multiple battery packagings they give customers; either 2 regular batteries or, as shipping most recently, the extended battery pack, which incidentally doubles the depth of the phone.

Please recognize this and do not try to discredit what it is that I say with your disinformation campaign and heavily skewed and untrue facts.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I have zero problems with my Blackjack lasting the whole day, with the standard battery, unless I Sling for an extended period of time. MUCH better than the 750. But that's my own use, people will differ. And yes, I leave 3G on all day.

There's no argument here until the iPhone is released. Company specs ALWAYS differ from consumer tests, so until the iPhone comes out we won't know anything.

The speculation, however, is very credible. Web surfing, video watching, music listening, phone calls, all use quite a bit of battery. Treo's used to have internal batteries, but that didn't last long. Apple should learn from others' mistakes...

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm not sure why you included in parenthesis that little bit about "always going by what the companies say"; especially since Samsung does not list the expected battery life anywhere on their website or in any of the user guides or manuals that come with the phone.

I justify my comments based on user experiences as reported all over the web as well as listed specs (3 hour talk time) from sites like:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1066

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-i607-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU1236124

How can you justify your comments. No, really, I want to know.

But before you respond, recognize the fact that Cingular's listed battery life specs are as published based on the multiple battery packagings they give customers; either 2 regular batteries or, as shipping most recently, the extended battery pack, which incidentally doubles the depth of the phone.

Please recognize this and do not try to discredit what it is that I say with your disinformation campaign and heavily skewed and untrue facts.
Well, until you compare a 2g device to a 2g device and/or the iPhone is actually used in real-life situations I'm not sure what the point is really.

It's funny that you can look up what users get for real-life talk time on the BJ and yet go by company specs for the iPhone and declare the latter the winner, merely on your faith in Apple.

As I mentioned and you ignore, HSDPA devices consume more power--actually any 3g devices consumes more power than any 2.5g. So why compare a high-speed device with a slow, old generation one?

Okay now Cnet said they got 11 hours of talk time on the HTC Dash even though it was only rated for 5 hours. That's a 2.5 g device with wifi. Or just look at any other review and people all say the same thing: fantastic battery life even when Wifi is on.

Either way Archie: beating devices that have been out for 6+ months by an hour or just tying them for the same talk-time in battery life is hardly radical or amazing.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

Archie, wrong again. Are you ever right?
Dimensions: 4.45" x 2.32" x 0.46"
Weight: 3.5 ounces
Main Display: 320 x 240 Pixel, 65K TFT
Color: Black
Mode: Quad-Band GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
Talk Time: Up to 5.5 hours*
Wireless Protocol: GSM
Service Provider: Cingular
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...%2Fwww.samsung.com%2Fhk%2Fhome&token=LvXqhxKi

Of course the IPhone probably has a better chance of getting close to the maximum specified talk time, seeing how it uses a legacy technology (GSM) with poorer voice quality, which just happens to have lower power consumption.

Surur

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh