Apple iPhone as a video player vs. some other PVP

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i personally do not watch videos on my handheld but could totally understand why someone else might (train commute, waiting to board a plane or during a flight). for me, a laptop meets my traveling needs best with the exception of when doing errands around town (or the like). the question is why wouldn't the iPhone with video capabilities (landscape format) suffice versus a more video-specific portable player? is it a question of battery duration, screen size/resolution, or user interface? perhaps all three and many, many more.

do you like the idea of the iPhone offering video capability or would you rather it not offer such? would you be more content with yet another device to tow around town or travel with just to have a more enjoyable video viewing experience or would a single device suit you better?

regards

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I don't think everyone wants to use a phone for video viewing. Also, not everyone is going to be getting the iPhone. So there's still a place for stand alone PVPs. Now that MAY change, I don't know. But I don't want to try to listen to music or video then get interrupted by a phone call. I still prefer stand alone players. When I put those earphones in my ears, it means I'm technically unavailable. If Apple released a bigger screen player for video better viewing, like the rumors keep saying.... :D

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
so it sounds like screen size is very important to you, perhaps more important than having an all in one device. it appears as though the iPhone will be able to play videos in landscape format which would seem like a nice feature. if you're watching a video on a portable device and your phone rings, what do you do then? perhaps one could put the device on silent mode or maybe the iphone will be smart enough to know that a video is being watched and will forward calls directly into voicemail? i suppose we'll find out more later.

so why does an Apple device interest you so as opposed to lets say a Zune or some other pvp that is currently available?

thanks for the reply

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
There is one important problem - battery life. Suppose you watch a 2 hour movie, and your phone dies an hour later, how will you receive your calls? Its the old convergence problem. And yes, I know Apple's 5 hour claim, but I expect that's unrealistic IRL.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
yes, agreed. it was one of the variables pointed to (battery duration) in the original post.

can treos or other converged/pda devices play videos? if so, do they face the same battery concerns (out of the box)?

i personally wouldn't mind owning a device that could play videos as it would be a nice user "option" should the right time present itself. at the same time, i don't often have two hours to watch a movie (home or theater) so it's not very important to be able to watch one uninterrupted.

thanks for the replies

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I expect when you really want to use it is when you will really have the problem especially ie. traveling. Not that other converged devices can do it better, but the advantage of stand-alone devices are that you only lose one function when the battery dies.

Surur

G-funkster

Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
yes, agreed. it was one of the variables pointed to (battery duration) in the original post.

can treos or other converged/pda devices play videos? if so, do they face the same battery concerns (out of the box)?

i personally wouldn't mind owning a device that could play videos as it would be a nice user "option" should the right time present itself. at the same time, i don't often have two hours to watch a movie (home or theater) so it's not very important to be able to watch one uninterrupted.

thanks for the replies
I've been stuffing my Treos since the 600 with videos, as Surur mentions, mostly when I'm about to go on a trip. Treos have big batteries so playback doesn't hurt them nearly as much as it does video ipods. And especially if you switch off the phone functionality when you're on a plane.

So, it's an 'option'. But what you describe of 'right time' now applies to my Slingbox, because I don't tend to load up the Treo with videos for those occasions. Love me some Slingbox!

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Storage capacity is maybe something to think about too. 8 GB would be ok for a fair chunk of music and the odd video but you're not going to be carrying around your 20 favourite movies or entire seasons of the West Wing and Lost on your (first generation) iPhone. Seems to me the logical thing for Apple to do would be to rip out the phone and put in an 80+ GB HD and a bigger battery (the device would have to be thicker of course). OTOH, that's exactly *not* what today's rumour says :):

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20070205/apple-ipod-features.htm

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I've been stuffing my Treos since the 600 with videos, as Surur mentions, mostly when I'm about to go on a trip. Treos have big batteries so playback doesn't hurt them nearly as much as it does video ipods. And especially if you switch off the phone functionality when you're on a plane.

So, it's an 'option'. But what you describe of 'right time' now applies to my Slingbox, because I don't tend to load up the Treo with videos for those occasions. Love me some Slingbox!

couple of questions if i may: do Treos truly have larger batteries out of the box? my last couple of Treos (750, 680, 700w) offered nothing special out of the box. in fact, their battery performance was subpar. you mention video ipods; i think you are referring to regular iPods that offer video functionality. correct? do iPods battery suffer when playing video? i've never tried it, i only have music on mine.

as far as being on a plane, a laptop or dedicated video player still rules in my opinion. i'd rather "lug" the larger devices around so to have not only a larger screen to watch movies on but a device that is more efficient and easy to use (larger keyboard, robust programs, etc).

again, thanks for the replies

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Storage capacity is maybe something to think about too. 8 GB would be ok for a fair chunk of music and the odd video but you're not going to be carrying around your 20 favourite movies or entire seasons of the West Wing and Lost on your (first generation) iPhone. Seems to me the logical thing for Apple to do would be to rip out the phone and put in an 80+ GB HD and a bigger battery (the device would have to be thicker of course). OTOH, that's exactly *not* what today's rumour says :):

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20070205/apple-ipod-features.htm

correct. much of this points to there being "opportunity costs" as i mentioned originally. can't have it all i suppose, i prefer slim, you may not. will be fun to give it a test run when it comes out.

MarkEagle

Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
do iPods battery suffer when playing video?
Big time. I have a 30gb Video iPod who's battery ratings are:

Music playback time: Up to 14 hours when fully charged
Photo slideshow with music viewing time: Up to 4 hours when fully charged
Video playback time: Up to 3.5 hours when fully charged

In my experience (since Christmas), the 14 hrs of music is close, possibly even a little better (I've gone a week between charges with a couple of hours of playback per day). Video has yielded, at best, 3 hours. It's been closer to 2 hrs most of the time. After watching a full-length feature, the battery indicator is empty. It'll come back a little bit after a while, but I've just gotten into the habit of recharging after (or during) viewing.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The Iphone lacks a HDD, which will save some battery, but has a much larger screen to light, which will drain more. i would be surprised if the battery is >1000 mAh, considering how thin it is. Running a phone will also drain some battery. The laws of physics will only allow so much.

Surur

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
Big time. I have a 30gb Video iPod who's battery ratings are:

Music playback time: Up to 14 hours when fully charged
Photo slideshow with music viewing time: Up to 4 hours when fully charged
Video playback time: Up to 3.5 hours when fully charged

My 680 with the radios off plays 10 hours of music.
My 680 with the radios off plays 5 hours of video.
My 680 has a talk time of 4 hours.

I use my 680 as a mp3 player and a video player, I do both going and coming to work.

Weekdays, battery life isnt an issue. I have a charger at work. And I'm sure what ever my next phone will be I will have a charger at work for it also.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
so given the responses so far it seems like no one is opposed to having the option available to them (on the iPhone) and that it will pose limitations on other functions if all one does is watch videos on it without charging it along the way. so if the video capability doesn't detract from other functionality then it seems like there's nothing wrong with it being offered. it also sounds like consumers will simply purchase or opt for dedicated players for real video playing/watching needs as the iPhone doesn't appear as though it would replace them.

thanks again

MarkEagle

Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
it also sounds like consumers will simply purchase or opt for dedicated players for real video playing/watching needs as the iPhone doesn't appear as though it would replace them.
Even if the iPhone could replace my iPod, I'm not getting one because I won't go to Cingular/AT&T. I am still interested in a next generation widescreen video iPod however.

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
The PSP is a better video player. It has a 4.3 inch screen and true widescreen. Unlike iPhone's 2:3 screen which is really a photo ratio.

I wish PSP has a decent official video management software that's as good as iTunes though. Of course iTunes can't convert divx files for me either but it just feels more elegent for daily use.

littlewaywelt

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
I would definitely want to watch movies, and I rarely watch tv.

To me it's no different than a converged pda & phone. I didn't always carry my pda with me, but once I always had access to it on a treo I loved it. Same deal, I suspect for the tv addicted masses. Once they can easilly watch tv shows, movies, etc they will.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I would definitely want to watch movies, and I rarely watch tv.

To me it's no different than a converged pda & phone. I didn't always carry my pda with me, but once I always had access to it on a treo I loved it. Same deal, I suspect for the tv addicted masses. Once they can easilly watch tv shows, movies, etc they will.

There are already a number of mobile TV solutions. They haven't really taken off, mainly due to TV, unlike music, requiring your whole concentration. You cant use it while driving, or working, or jogging etc.

Surur

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711