More Iphone competition

Chatter

Sep 1, 2002
www.chatteremail.com
I assume it's started to dawn on the iPhone fanboys that there world didn't stop when Apple announced their product. By the time it comes out, there will be a number of other phones sharing many of their features, and even some products with new features. The iPhone is going to be a terrific product, I'm sure, but it's not going to be earthshaking.

Marc

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
SOME THOUGHTS:

-4G is nowhere near ready for launch. Rev A is barely ready! If this is true, it better be backwards compatible. There is a possibility it will have EV also, but the article doesn't state that.
-Referring to my first point, a 4G device in production stages ready by MAY???? Wimax is currently used in Asia, no? This might be an asia-only phone for a while, unless like I said before it is backwards compatible. Makes sense though, because most of Asia also uses CDMA technology.

I guess my point is, what good is a 4g device in the US in May? The article states it uses 4g "instead of wifi or bluetooth," not mentioning anything about CDMA, EVDO, UMTS, GSM, etc. Is it possible to do both? Time to go do some homework...

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
SOME THOUGHTS:

-4G is nowhere near ready for launch. Rev A is barely ready! If this is true, it better be backwards compatible. There is a possibility it will have EV also, but the article doesn't state that.
-Referring to my first point, a 4G device in production stages ready by MAY???? Wimax is currently used in Asia, no? This might be an asia-only phone for a while, unless like I said before it is backwards compatible. Makes sense though, because most of Asia also uses CDMA technology.

I guess my point is, what good is a 4g device in the US in May? The article states it uses 4g "instead of wifi or bluetooth," not mentioning anything about CDMA, EVDO, UMTS, GSM, etc. Is it possible to do both? Time to go do some homework...
- 4G is slated to launch end of 2007. Granted, that's not May but sooner than later.
- Wimax is cheap to add in especially if you already have Wifi in there. So I'd assume it'd have wifi too.
- The Asia angle doesn't explain why they are filing with the FCC which has no jurisdiction outside the US, so I definitely see this as a US device (has MS ever released something overseas first?)

Still, definitely more questions than answers at this point. Should be interesting to see if this is anything to get worked up over.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
- 4G is slated to launch end of 2007. Granted, that's not May but sooner than later.
- Wimax is cheap to add in especially if you already have Wifi in there. So I'd assume it'd have wifi too.
- The Asia angle doesn't explain why they are filing with the FCC which has no jurisdiction outside the US, so I definitely see this as a US device (has MS ever released something overseas first?)

Still, definitely more questions than answers at this point. Should be interesting to see if this is anything to get worked up over.

I also now read the article referenced by the article you referenced (what did I say?)

It seems wimax is the phones ONLY form of communication, at least that's what the article says :

"A VoIP-enabled Zune would differ greatly from the iPhone, which is intended for use on cellular networks. AT&T Inc.'s Cingular Wireless network will be the first to carry the iPhone."

And it also seems that 802.16 isn't bw compatible with 802.11...I dunno :confused:

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
A part of our company switched to VoIP on land lines. And it's not so good. Lots of packets get lost. Has that been your experience? It can work, but it takes a lot of tweaking. Also, the voice quality is not what I have been accustomed to with PBX. I am not sure how accurate this is. But our IT staff at my company have repeatedly said VoIP is not so good for mobile devices in cars traveling faster than 10 miles per hour. It subjects the signal to more dropped packets. If you have a lot of experience with VoIP, I'd like to hear about it.

"A VoIP-enabled Zune would differ greatly from the iPhone, which is intended for use on cellular networks. AT&T Inc.'s Cingular Wireless network will be the first to carry the iPhone."

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
A part of our company switched to VoIP on land lines. And it's not so good. Lots of packets get lost. Has that been your experience? It can work, but it takes a lot of tweaking. Also, the voice quality is not what I have been accustomed to with PBX. I am not sure how accurate this is. But our IT staff at my company have repeatedly said VoIP is not so good for mobile devices in cars traveling faster than 10 miles per hour. It subjects the signal to more dropped packets. If you have a lot of experience with VoIP, I'd like to hear about it.
Whilst true now, I say the one caveat: Wimax = 2-16Mb upload/download speeds.

That's just incredible bandwidth and the coverage is supposed to be better with ranges per tower at 4-10 miles realistically. (Theoretically is 30 miles).

If you just google "VOIP" and "Wimax" you'll get a ton of positive and enthusiastic articles about the merging of the two e.g. VoIP and WiMAX = A Perfect Storm?. But alas, the proof is in the pudding as they say. ;)

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Whilst true now, I say the one caveat: Wimax = 2-16Mb upload/download speeds.

That's just incredible bandwidth and the coverage is supposed to be better with ranges per tower at 4-10 miles realistically. (Theoretically is 30 miles).

If you just google "VOIP" and "Wimax" you'll get a ton of positive and enthusiastic articles about the merging of the two e.g. VoIP and WiMAX = A Perfect Storm?. But alas, the proof is in the pudding as they say. ;)

I read the article. Sounds like driving + VoIP + WiMax = potentially a promising future. It appears they fixed the problems with VoIP-WIFI and driving an automobile. Maybe? I presume freeway speeds would be the real test. Otherwise, it all sounds good, but quite a ways off.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site

What? You realize the companies CEO issued a public statement (maybe it was an interview, can't remember) saying they copied the iPhone looks (screen display and hardware appearance) in this mock-up to align themselves (capture glory) with Apple after Apple made the iPhone announcement.

Now, how close do you think Microsoft is going to come (or even be allowed) in reproducing this mock-up? Apparently Windows Mobile 6 looks nothing like the screen people have seen on this.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Archie, again with a poor understanding of the facts..... tut tut..

MS only makes the OS, the ODM/OEM can do whatever they want with it. BTW, its not WM6, its Win CE 6, which is a very malleable, customizable, componentized embedded OS. Runs ATM's and ECG machines and GPS devices and tractors etc etc. The IPhone is so far from being 5 years ahead its not even funny.

Sigh.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Oh, then Meizu should have no trouble in grafting 720x480 support on top of this then! :rolleyes:

I dont know what the sarcastic icon is all about. Yes, you can run Win CE at any resolution you like, just like Windows XP.

BTW, WM6 now supports 800x480, and two devices running with that resolution is coming out in the next 6 months.

Maybe some research before posting next time?:rolleyes:

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I don't even know why I bother because you're just gonna come back and post some dribble about me being wrong... even though it is from Microsoft's own website

Anyway; here it goes, pasted straight from Microsoft's website:

M$ Mobile 6 supported screen resolutions

Size - Resolution - Touch Screen
176x220 - 96 dpi - No
240x320 - 131 dpi - No
320x240 - 131 dpi - No
320x320* - 128 dpi - Yes
240x320 / 320x240 - 96 dpi - Yes
480x640/640x480 - 192 dpi - Yes
240x240 - 96 dpi - Yes
480x480 - 192 dpi - Yes

*New for Windows Mobile 6

Oh, and "BTW" every reference I have read in regards to "WM6" has made specific mention that they are changing the name (yet again) to Windows Mobile 6, NOT Win CE.

Perhaps it is you that should be considering research the next time you post.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There, that was fun.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't even know why I bother because you're just gonna come back and post some dribble about me being wrong... even though it is from Microsoft's own website

Anyway; here it goes, pasted straight from Microsoft's website:

M$ Mobile 6 supported screen resolutions

Size - Resolution - Touch Screen
176x220 - 96 dpi - No
240x320 - 131 dpi - No
320x240 - 131 dpi - No
320x320* - 128 dpi - Yes
240x320 / 320x240 - 96 dpi - Yes
480x640/640x480 - 192 dpi - Yes
240x240 - 96 dpi - Yes
480x480 - 192 dpi - Yes

*New for Windows Mobile 6

Oh, and "BTW" every reference I have read in regards to "WM6" has made specific mention that they are changing the name (yet again) to Windows Mobile 6, NOT Win CE.

Perhaps it is you that should be considering research the next time you post.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There, that was fun.

It must be sad to be so wrong so often, and not to even know it....

BTW, you are still wrong. The M8 runs Win CE 6, not WM6. You clearly do not know what either really are. And of course you are again wrong about the supported resolutions.

*sigh*

Surur

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR