More Iphone competition

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
;) That's not entirely true. Microsoft (of all companies) is repeatedly on record saying Macintosh software sales of MS Office is one of their most profitable products. Also, remember MS Word was on the Mac years before it came to PC. The profit margins on that 4% are high.

Would love to see a link because I find this highly unlikely

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
;) That's not entirely true. Microsoft (of all companies) is repeatedly on record saying Macintosh software sales of MS Office is one of their most profitable products. Also, remember MS Word was on the Mac years before it came to PC. The profit margins on that 4% are high.
Word for PC Initial Release: 1983
MacIntosh (the computer) Initial Release: 1984
NOTE: High profit margins on a small market = overall low earnings. Woo hoo!
archie said:
Wait, let me just get this straight. You ARE saying that companies like Adobe and Microsoft markup their software packages for the Mac, right? Tell me, is it because they have to take the extra time to port the app to Mac?
They gouge the consumer because they can. Windows users have come to expect the lower prices on software with the same capability due to economies of scale in production and smaller margins in a more competitive environment.
archie said:
There are over 60,000 developers for Mac OS X. They are all listed on Apple's website. And as you can imagine, there are at least that many applications. You should check it out sometime.
Given Apples' small worldwide computer market share, a lot of those folks must be starving...or serving fries with that order in their "bread-winning" job. :rolleyes:
archie said:
Is that why Adobe see 30%-40% of their profits from Mac software? Once they release Universal Binaries, you will see this number shoot up.
Hmmmm.....
Investor's Business Daily said:
About 20% of Adobe's total revenue comes from the Macintosh platform, Ross MacMillan, a Jefferies & Co. analyst, says. The rest comes from software for Microsoft's Windows PC operating system.
...which is certainly telling since Adobe started out as a purely Mac software house.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Word for PC Initial Release: 1983
MacIntosh (the computer) Initial Release: 1984
I think what you meant to say is that Excel came out first for the Mac. Then later on the PC.

NOTE: High profit margins on a small market = overall low earnings. Woo hoo!

They gouge the consumer because they can. Windows users have come to expect the lower prices on software with the same capability due to economies of scale in production and smaller margins in a more competitive environment.
That's what I thought. This kind of thinking is incorrect. Thank you for restating and unintentionally proving me correct below.

Hmmmm.....
Originally Posted by Investor's Business Daily, Oct 06
About 20% of Adobe's total revenue comes from the Macintosh platform, Ross MacMillan, a Jefferies & Co. analyst, says. The rest comes from software for Microsoft's Windows PC operating system.
...which is certainly telling since Adobe started out as a purely Mac software house.
Now consider the fact that not one of Adobe's applications has been written as a Universal Binary. This will change in the coming months and the pent up demand from the last year will be unleashed and sales will go back to the 30%-40% and probably approach 50% or more in comparison to your 20% quote from just this last fall.

Oh, by the way, can you point me to a website maybe that actually has a Mac program listed for more than the PC version? Maybe some place like PCMall/MacMall, Best Buy... whatever, anything.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
WRONG!
Word for PC Initial Release: 1983 Incorrect! Multi-Tool Word (not Word for PC) was released in 1983 for DOS. There was no such thing as "Word for PC" in 1983. MacIntosh (the computer) Initial Release: 1984
NOTE: High profit margins on a small market = overall low earnings. Woo hoo! Sounds like you're clueless about Mac profitability -- ask your God-Microsoft for the answers to the hard questions. Vista has to be your savior. Book: Vista for Dummies, I presume is your Bible.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Let's get back to talking about iPhone. Windows won the per unit/WinOS versus MacOs war back in the 90s. However, looking at a pre-release of Vista, Apple won the UI design hands down.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
WRONG! + blah blah blah
LOL - Multi-tool Word was renamed to simply "Word" in 1984. Are you really going to be that obtuse? Or should I let you continue to feel good about your "successful" Google search? :D
specimen38 said:
Sounds like you're clueless about Mac profitability -- ask your God-Microsoft for the answers to the hard questions. Vista has to be your savior. Book: Vista for Dummies, I presume is your Bible.
Umm - "Mac" profitability, from an Apple stock viewpoint is mediocre. The iPod is the rainmaker and makes Apple such a stock favorite now. Not sure what you mean about Vista - as far as I've seen, it's unproven (and not officially released for at least a couple more hours). Does it somehow threaten you? :confused: Not me - but that's probably because I prefer Linux and OSX.
archie said:
I think what you meant to say is that Excel came out first for the Mac. Then later on the PC.
I guess you meant to shift the discussion to Excel for some reason ... since nobody else was talking about it. :rolleyes:
archie said:
Now consider the fact that not one of Adobe's applications has been written as a Universal Binary. This will change in the coming months and the pent up demand from the last year will be unleashed and sales will go back to the 30%-40% and probably approach 50% or more in comparison to your 20% quote from just this last fall.
Isn't this the second year in a row (or is it the third now) where the Universal Binary prediction has been made? The Adobe revenue % figure I quoted was for the entire preceding year - more like a trend than a spot check. Perhaps this year you'll be right in your prediction (well not your's actually - but it's certainly popular on Mac fanboy sites) and we'll all get rich on our Adobe stock (Apple stock too since it will should help boost Mac sales)! Personally I'm tired of waiting for Adobe to get their act straight ... and glad their CFO finally quit. :(
Let's get back to talking about iPhone. Windows won the per unit/WinOS versus MacOs war back in the 90s. However, looking at a pre-release of Vista, Apple won the UI design hands down.
Did you say talk about the iPhone? ;)

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Microsoft profitability alluded to twice in this article. The word "lucrative" is used.

This is no big secret mobileman. Sorry I didn't have time to find your more links, but I seen it in print few other times. A few years back one of Microsofts Execs appeared in cameo during Steve J's keynote fawning and exclaimng the enormous benefits of doing business with Apple.

"Lucrative" is a big difference than what you originally said. You claimed "Macintosh software sales of MS Office is one of their most profitable products". Again, I highly doubt that statement.

oahu

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
I am reading this thread and found it very interested.

Here is some info:
AOL was inhouse at Apple before it was given away and rename, being an Apple developer I remember Apple attempts to support this online product and deciding to let it go.
Adobe was inhouse before letting it go on its own.

There are a lot of software and hardware products that most people do not know that Apple had its hand in.

As far as windows is concern - Lets remember Gates made no bones about using Apple ideas and code for windows, after all he said why re-invent the wheel. I believe that is why he renew his agreement with Apple a number of years ago on the use of Code.

I laugh when I hear friends of mine tell me they would not touch a Mac and yet they love windows.

Anyway, I thought this would be of interest or maybe not!

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Dude...don't minimize lucrative. Google for yourself and you wii learn the truth.

I am not minimizing lucrative....dude. Lucrative is not what you originally claimed. Lucrative is a HUGE difference to being "one of the most profitable" as you claimed. I dare say Mac Office is not even close to one of the most profitable MS products.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
I am not claiming anything. These are Microsoft claims. Look at the Steve J's keynote from 2001 or 2002. YouTube it! Report back after you watch it. Beside, the word "lucrative" is nothing to sneer at. It apparently means one of the most profitable. Of course, Microsoft has many profitable businesses. Apple is certainly not one of the least profitable, as evidenced by the usage of the word lucrative.
I am not minimizing lucrative....dude. Lucrative is not what you originally claimed. Lucrative is a HUGE difference to being "one of the most profitable" as you claimed. I dare say Mac Office is not even close to one of the most profitable MS products.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I am not claiming anything. These are Microsoft claims. Look at the Steve J's keynote from 2001 or 2002. YouTube it! Report back after you watch it. Beside, the word "lucrative" is nothing to sneer at. It apparently means one of the most profitable. Of course, Microsoft has many profitable businesses. Apple is certainly not one of the least profitable, as evidenced by the usage of the word lucrative.

Im not in the mood to YouTube a keynote adress from 5 years ago. If "lucrative" to you means "one of the most profitable", then you need a business lesson.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Of course, you know a lot about business. You're the expert in the iPhone forum. And what's this about "moods" dictating your interests. I have provided you with enough. On second thought...Moods? That's a menopausal word. What are you selling pre-paid legal services or AMWAY? :p

The light is green. I have pulled away from the light. You are sitting in my exhaust. Now you can have the last word and I'll want to get back to talking about iPhone.
Im not in the mood to YouTube a keynote adress from 5 years ago. If "lucrative" to you means "one of the most profitable", then you need a business lesson.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
SO um..back on topic! That no keyboard thing...will it sink or float? Will competitors even bother with that (apart from LG)??

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
SO um..back on topic! That no keyboard thing...will it sink or float? Will competitors even bother with that (apart from LG)??

It will be successful for Apple but not others because they will not put the money and R&D into developing a touch-sensitive keyboard that will "float".

LG??? I wasn't aware that they were using a screen-based keyboard. Which model? Is it the $750 model that everybody here at TreoCentral (except for me) compares to the iPhone?

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Of course, you know a lot about business. You're the expert in the iPhone forum. And what's this about "moods" dictating your interests. I have provided you with enough. On second thought...Moods? That's a menopausal word. What are you selling pre-paid legal services or AMWAY? :p.

This is probably the wierdest, and hardest to understand post I have ever read on treocentral. Congratulations on that.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2