iPhone in Canada? NOT

naftalim

Nov 30, 2004
Visit site
I saw the Jobs keynote today, and really liked that phone. However, I doubt very much that it will be offered in Canada.

1) There is only 1 GSM provider in Canada, and thats Rogers.
2) Rogers charges exorbitant prices for data, so they will not allow a device with WiFi.
3) Apple will not cripple the iPhone for Rogers to elminate WiFi, so, we're out of luck.

Our only hope is that one day there will be an unlocked iPhone.

Dunc

Jun 9, 2002
www.dunc-it.com
While you wait for the unlocked iPhone and Rogers to come around, why don't you check out OpenMoko - it looks, to me, like a pretty cool phone. And the fact that it is going to be totally open is really appealing. Especially if Apple is saying no third party apps.

Dunc

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Looks like its coming sooner than projected too. Plus, they indicated that they aren't allowed to subsidize the cost of the phone. Which falls in line with what I was discussing here. Improved service benefits over and above what other phone manufacturers are able to negotiate.

naftalim

Nov 30, 2004
Visit site
The key issue here is whether Apple will cripple the WiFi capabilities for Rogers, as Rogers data pricing is outrageous and they probably dont want to give their customers any opportunity not to have to use the Rogers network and continue to pay exorbitant extorionist rates for data.

As far as I am concerned, if there is no WiFI on this phone, I will not be buying it, I'll stick with the Treo 750, as I already have a device with no WiFi