iPhone around the web

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
I havent seen this video of the iphone, hope it isnt a repost. cbs news showing some of what it can do. they dont show the KB and I think I could find a contact a lot sooner on the treo than with the scrolling thing.

You will notice that you do have to go back home before going to another app. mail. . . home . . . internet . . . home . . . photos. . . . home.

Other than being a professoser of marketing, I dont know who Peter Fader is, but I not would call him a fan of the iphone. At least according to this managing technology interview.

a couple of quotes:

Apple is facing a very different market. It's a market that's far more mature than the MP3 Player market was at the time. It's a far more sophisticated customer base. Apple had the opportunity to go into the MP3 market and basically reshape that market and create the standard for customers' tastes and preferences.

Those things have already been done by the myriad players in the cell phone market. Apple can do a very limited amount of reshaping. I think that when this phone actually hits the market, some of the grand visions that Steve Jobs has as well as some of the Apple zealots are going to be rather disappointed.

Well it's not going to be too high for the first few hundred thousand people who just have to have it. You can charge them anything and they'll pay anything. But for the mass market, if they really want to create something that is anywhere close to what the iPod did, it is very expensive.

And, I think on the feature side, it doesn't really have that many features. In fact, it's missing some really, really important features. What it has [going] for it is just a really cool design factor and that's not enough. It's going to help them to differentiate themselves from the other phones out there, but it's not going to be enough to really be a winning entry.

ouch. I guess steve ran over his dog. he doesnt even like Apple TV.

hey, even Apple Fan Boy Leo Laporte has questions about it.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I dont know who Peter Fader is...

He's probably an Apple genius who will redesign the IPhone without even seeing it...

Its ridiculous in the video how the Apple representative keeps on calling it the most advanced phone ever made because you can look up your contacts, and the most advanced internet communication device ever made.

Apple is all about hype.

Surur

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
i swear, i dont go looking for this stuff, but here is MadTv take on the iphone.

freaking hi-larious, especially the beginning and their take on the fan boys.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
A testament to your enamoration with the iPhone.

First Ed Colligan, now Steve Ballmer. I feel embarrassed for Mr. Ballmer everytime I here him talk.

I thought this would be common sense but did you know that Apple wanted to control how the iPhone was introduced. Having the FCC release information is not what I would call control - that would breed rampant speculation. Rampant speculation: that's something else Apple wanted to deal with. Put a stop to the rampant speculation. It is good for people to talk about a company. It increase the brand awareness (t is no wonder Apple was rated the #1 brand here in the US), but it was approaching a point of being detrimental to the company. Apple's timing here was perfect. They rode the speculation wave to it's peak and got the most benefit out of it that anyone could ever get.

There is strategy beyond even this however. Most people who use cell phones are in a contract or would be renewing or entering into another over the course of the next 6 months. By pre-announcing, Apple essentially froze the market. This gives them yet another advantage, thousands of people, wait, hundreds of thousands of people will now hold off on the purchase of a Motorola Q or Palm Treo or whatever knowing that they can soon get an Apple iPhone. Motorola does this same kind of thing by preannouncing products (but usually cannot stick to scheduled releases). Apple has proven time and again that they can actually release a product when they say they will release a product... and SOMETIMES they even release it beforehand.

iPhone look a like from prada?
The ONLY thing that looks alike is the slot for the ear piece. This is ridiculous.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Not those who know $600 is too much for a likely locked phone. And also those who know that ATT's business practices are turning back into a monopoly. Not to mention the often NON-customer service.

If the iPhone is indeed locked to ATT, NO THANKS!!

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Not those who know $600 is too much for a likely locked phone. And also those who know that ATT's business practices are turning back into a monopoly. Not to mention the often NON-customer service.

If the iPhone is indeed locked to ATT, NO THANKS!!
hmmm... technically, you can get an iPhone for $499.

Would you say $650 dollars was too much for a smartphone. Yes, of course you would, I would be inclined to say so as well. Yet that is what Palm charged for the Treo 650 when it came out. There are other phones that are even more expensive like the HTC Hermes or whatever it is called, or the Sony Ericsson i990, or even the new LG that evryone thiinks is just like the iPhone!

Now in regards to AT&T, I don't think it's fair to be judging their service quite yet. Let's wait for the change-over first and then judge.

And as far as monopoly goes, far from it. Less than half doesn't equate to a monopoly. You've also got Qwest, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, CellularOne, Cellular South, Liberty... etc. etc.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Locked yes. Unlocked, not necessarily. Depends on the features. I personally don't like paying more than $600 though.

As for ATT, it's still Cingular, no matter what they rename it!! Unless they stop their reps from flipping people's accounts and removing features and "forgetting" to tell the customer until they see a huge bill, I still have no real loyalty to them! And how come you get different stories from different reps? Some consistency would be nice! Plus their overpriced locked and branded phones. And ATT had already bought up much of the Midwest and Central parts of the US AGAIN when they were called SBC!! Now they want us to sign up for all in one service: home, DSL and cellular!! The monopoly is coming back slowly and surely.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Yet that is what Palm charged for the Treo 650 when it came out. There are other phones that are even more expensive like the HTC Hermes or whatever it is called, or the Sony Ericsson i990, or even the new LG that evryone thiinks is just like the iPhone!
Cost more, do more - it's a simple equation. Those phones you describe do more out of the box than Stevie could come close to showing us in 1 hour of dedicated time to the subject. I do admit his phone is generally prettier in some aspects, but in the iPhone, his form is lacking some function.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
hmmm... technically, you can get an iPhone for $499.

Would you say $650 dollars was too much for a smartphone. Yes, of course you would, I would be inclined to say so as well. Yet that is what Palm charged for the Treo 650 when it came out. There are other phones that are even more expensive like the HTC Hermes or whatever it is called, or the Sony Ericsson i990, or even the new LG that evryone thiinks is just like the iPhone!

Now in regards to AT&T, I don't think it's fair to be judging their service quite yet. Let's wait for the change-over first and then judge.

And as far as monopoly goes, far from it. Less than half doesn't equate to a monopoly. You've also got Qwest, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, CellularOne, Cellular South, Liberty... etc. etc.

That was more than TWO years ago man..times have truly changed...Apple charged in the range of $400 for the 1st iPod did they not? To do so now would be laughable...

For a contracted, no-memory expansion phone a lot of ppl would choke to see that price now...and is a major reason why Palm came out with the unlocked treo 680 for $399...

a big $100 difference from a 4 GB locked, 2-yr contracted phone (add in those data costs)...it's very overpriced for todays markets and there is no real argument otherwise...they are hoping that the coolness, newness and exclusivity will ring true - if not as it's rumoured to only cost $250 to make, they obviously will drop the ridiculous price if ppl don't bite.

Btw a lot of those phones are more adaptbale than what Apple plans to sell June e.g. se990i is memory-expandable, comes unlocked and 3G plus touchscreens at that price...a different league from the iPhone (what we say) tbh wrt data transfer and adaptability - all they lack is the "cool" software and touchscreen factor.

P.S. it takes a bit more money to make actual physical keyboards too so that iPhone should be at least $50 LESS :D

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Cost more, do more - it's a simple equation. Those phones you describe do more out of the box than Stevie could come close to showing us in 1 hour of dedicated time to the subject. I do admit his phone is generally prettier in some aspects, but in the iPhone, his form is lacking some function.
It was a keynote address, not a product briefing! Do you truly believe that we saw the extent of the phone's capabilities during a keynote address?

That question is of course hypothetical because my point is that I am sure you do not think we saw the extent of the phones capabilities in that small keynote address.

It wasn't a product briefing, it was a keynote address.

A keynote address is defined as an opening statement that outlines the key issues.

MarkEagle

Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
It was a keynote address, not a product briefing! Do you truly believe that we saw the extent of the phone's capabilities during a keynote address?
And that's exactly why nobody can conclusivley say that the phone can do any of the wonderful things the proponents here seem to be talking about.

Until it's released to the general public, there will be many unanswered questions about what it can and cannot do.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
And that's exactly why nobody can conclusivley say that the phone can do any of the wonderful things the proponents here seem to be talking about.

Until it's released to the general public, there will be many unanswered questions about what it can and cannot do.

Oh, now you are saying that what we DID see it won't be able to do? Unbelieveable.

There is no end to the FUD here at TreoCentral.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Precisely! And if you know Apple like I know Apple, the best is yet to come. We haven't seen it all.

That question is of course hypothetical because my point is that I am sure you do not think we saw the extent of the phones capabilities in that small keynote address.

It wasn't a product briefing, it was a keynote address.

A keynote address is defined as an opening statement that outlines the key issues.
I think the announcement of the iPhone was strategic. But don't think Apple was thinking about all of the collateral benefits that would present themselves after the announcement. Of course, I could be wrong. However, the more I think about Apple's 6-month pre-release announcement, the more I have actually started seeing some advantages that might not have been concieved of in the original strategy:

1) Opportunity to see how competitors respond and react to the iPhone - in this way Apple might get a glimpse of their competitors R & D if that competitor chose to tip their hand. Even more valuable would be how far along their competitors are in certain technologies.

2) Opportunity to monitor the cloners in the far east, who do not follow any of rules for patent or trademark infringment. I think it is great that whether before or after the iPhone's announcement -- many other companies had an opportunity re-introduce similar technology they perhaps introduced before the iPhone. If these technologies are better than the iPhone, economical deterministic forces will bring these products to the surface and give us compelling reasons to take notice.

3) Opportunity to gauge public's perception of the iPhone. I think the public is clueless, but their reactions are valuable and will help form the basis for future iPhone releases. If you ever have a chance to listen to author Malcolm Gladwell, idiscuss the marketing, what will come clear is that there will be more than one iPhone. There will be iPhones (plural). Every multi-national corporation is hip to this. meet Malcolm Gladwell

4) Opportunity to get free marketing of the iPhone -- essentially 6 months of free marketing via blog discussions, news, etc.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Go with your gut....

There is no end to the FUD here at TreoCentral.

Archie - save your breathe. People told me not to buy Apple stock in 2001. But if you had bought it 2001 and held on to it until the day after the iPhone was released, you would have earned a 1000%+ return on your investment. All doubters should go to bigcharts.com - or any stock tracker site and prove me wrong. I don't think I have to tell you where my money has been invested. One of my co-workers was a Apple hater and very skeptical. It took me 10 years of convincing to get him to buy some Apple stock. He was late to the game. But he bought. And He killed last year and sold it 2 weeks ago. He's says his next computer will be Mac.

My point: It's the same with the iPhone. They don't know. They are skeptical. One poster said there are many unanswered questions. So be it!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Would it be fair to say that anyone who is planning to get an IPhone will not be buying an Ipod for the next 6 months?

Surur

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods