You can't install applications on iPhone?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I have ADC through my work. But ADC membership doesn't mean you know anything. What apps have you created for the Apple platform?

All I know from my years in the industry is that everyone publishes their SDK to their platforms ASAP to allow developers to code for it so there are apps available for the platform at release. A year early in a lot of cases. This is my first hand experience and I have worked with OS development. Now Apple may not have made this external but internally their own developers need this. I find it extremely unlikely that this is not the case. But guess what, a former colleague of mine is a QA manager on the iPhone group, so I can probably find out soon. Probably not until after release though.
Well, when you ask then you will find out that Apple is making the os apps with any API. They won't bother with it until they move the phone to the Leopard level.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Carbon was an Apple cross-platform language to support legacy apps so developers who had OS 9 apps could easily make them cross-platform during the transition to OS X. It was not what OS 9 was based on. It only allowed you to have the same binary that could be used on OS 9 and OS X.
Soooo... how does this differ from what I said?

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
welll

Archie, as you can see from the other's post, I was right about the SDK out before the OS.

You have never done any development, have you? You don't even understand the basics of the industry.

I am an Apple Developer too. I got it along with a secret decoder ring inside a box of Cap'n Crunch. It means absolutely nothing, and you pulling that card is an insult to every true Apple developer out there.

When you learn the diffence between an OS, SDK and API, as well as how software development takes place in the industry, come back.

Until then, just keep the comments related to the "iPhone is cool" vein.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Soooo... how does this differ from what I said?

Carbon is not what OS 9 was based on. You don't know what you are talking about. You said that to support that the SDK for carbon was out early because it needed to exist previously for OS 9 which totally was not true. It was developed specifically to support legacy apps in OS X and get developers to move to that platform while still supporting OS 9.

You really don't know what you are talking about, you don't even understand why you are wrong. A little knowledge is dangerous.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
You are second guessing and projecting what you would like me to say or something... I don't know... something weird... I don't know what is going on here but what you are claiming that I said is NOT what I said.

I am not sure why everybody feels the need to gang up on me. Except for maybe that I am always right and you look for every miniscule opportunity to find me wrong.

PS: It is certainly possible that you misunderstood what I said.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
PS: It is certainly possible that you misunderstood what I said.

It's more likely you don't know what you are talking about. When people try and take a position as an expert ("Well, I have Apple Developer status. Do you?") they better know what they are saying. You don't, and you are wrong. A greater soul would admit it instead of playing the 'poor me, no one will acknowledge I'm right and they are wrong' card. That's just sad to see.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i will say this: "archie" sounds honest, he seems to mean well and does sound like he knows what he is speaking of. i'd be surprised if he was so wrong, but hey, that's just me.

regards

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
i will say this: "archie" ... does sound like he knows what he is speaking of.

How so? He consistently does not sound as if he knows anything at all. I wonder how you got the impression he knows what he is talking about.

I mean, he expects the IPhone shell to be made out of Zirconia (really!):crazy:

He claims to be an "interactive designer" or some such. To me he is the prototype of an Apple fanboy: Clueless, and living in a RDF.

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Let's not limit that to Apple fanboys. Delusional is delusional. And I don't think he is being dishonest in stating what he believes to be true, he just doesn't know the truth. Nor do I imagine he takes the time to find it out.

Everyone should be a bit upset that you can't install 3rd party apps in the iPhone. This affects what you can ultimately do with the device. And Steve Jobs is IMHO being dishonest when he states why it isn't open for development. This is an interesting take. and I tend to agree. It sure as hell makes more sense than some asinine idea like 'no SDK exists because the APIs are still underdevelopment until several months after it is released to the public' moronic nonsense which may sound good to someone who doesn't work in software development but is BS to anyone with a clue.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
ollie

oalveraz,

Being honest and being wrong are two different things.

Archie has years of being wrong on TC forums...honesty has nothing to do with it.

Serach past posts and it's quite illuminating.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Let's not limit that to Apple fanboys. Delusional is delusional. And I don't think he is being dishonest in stating what he believes to be true, he just doesn't know the truth. Nor do I imagine he takes the time to find it out.

Everyone should be a bit upset that you can't install 3rd party apps in the iPhone. This affects what you can ultimately do with the device. And Steve Jobs is IMHO being dishonest when he states why it isn't open for development. This is an interesting take. .

That idea does not make sense, in that the most software is already on the WM platform. There is nothing to steal. The only new apps of note would be MS interoperability stuff, and MS would not want that in any case.

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
That idea does not make sense, in that the most software is already on the WM platform. There is nothing to steal. The only new apps of note would be MS interoperability stuff, and MS would not want that in any case.

Surur

Yeah, I don't know. What kinds of applications for the interface Apple may have planned, what kinds of applications 3rd parties could develop because of the new IU convention (not sure what is particularly unique, but hey), I don't know. But the very fact that Apple (read Jobs) could be a bit paranoid about the whole thing, that's what makes sense to me. And that doesn't unnecessarily need to be rational.

This is new ground for Apple and the iPhone could take off huge, I'm sure no one expected the marked domination of the iPod. For them to be protectionist about the user experience and other's access to iPhone innards does make sense. For the consumer though it isn't a good thing.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
You are all freaking clueless.

Web apps are interpreted. Apps that are on the OS are compiled. They can't let developers do this because LLVM is not completely integrated (finished) yet.

Can you comprehend.

I explained this very thing weeks ago and actually first brought it up back in January before anyone even knew what LLVM was.

****ing morons.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
well

Archie,

Maybe if you shout a little louder, we could comprehend...

I can certainly comprehend you like to use insulting profanity.

So this all hinges on LLVM, which is not ready, which is why it cannot go to developers?

But it's "done" enough for Apple to release the iPhone?

In the big scheme of things, this no different than a Mac having no expansion slots and later the wonderful NuBus cards. This is all about control and $$ (which I cast no judgement on, just observing this is Apple's model in device development.)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
braj

The iPod dominated once it was released on Windows. That is where most iPod sales come from.

I would argue that iTunes was the reason for the success as much as the hardware device itself.

It's sad to see them screw up ITunes with more features, clutter. KISS.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77