You can't install applications on iPhone?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

NextDream

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
Ahhh, yet another iPhone bashing thread. Why don't you all put your money where your mouth is and buy some stock in Palm? Short apple stock while you're at it, let me know how it turns out.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I'm not bashin it just stating the facts. iPhone will be in a league of its own with out 3rd party support, like the Nokia N series. Hugly popular. but try runnin more than "fun " apps and u will quickly find out that there aren't too many places to go. Photos, Movies and Music.
Financially speaking, of course it would make more sense to buch apple stock than Palms. That's a no brainer. but that's not the topic here.

Hanuman

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
I love the iphone and when Jobs show cased it during the keynote, I too was mesmerized. While under his spell, I noticed that in my white knuckled grip, my Amex had magically materialized there, anxiously waiting to be used, like a studding stallion waiting to mate with a mare in heat. Then it wore off and I can think again.

I love the way it looks and the fact that it's an apple product means a phone that I can seamlessly synch with my ibook. Woo-hoo! Will I rush out to buy one? No. At least not first generation.

I do however think that many people will. We here at treocentral often forget that there are A LOT of treo owners out there that don't use their phones to the fullest of their capacities like we do. The make calls, text messages, check emails, and take a pic or two. The savvy ones may synch their calenders on it. These people are a great market for the iPhone. A nice shiny phone that does what THEY need, right out of the box. Synchs their tunes, they can listen to their music, watch their $1.99 Pirates of the Carribean right away. No need to teach em how to do it either, they've had lots of practice with their ipods. These people don't watch movies on their treos cause they don't want to get the software, figure out the settings, then get the right player, blah, blah, blah. The iPhone is not a perfect device for me, but it will be for a lot of people. 3rd party or no.

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
Widgets or apps. Apple has stated they will be available. Either by Apple or by others, as said by Steve in a NY Times article.

They will be restricted though. You won't be able to throw any crap some guy made on your phone.

Point is, it has been stated they will be there. As long as Apple is offering things that most people want, docs, some games whatever, there shouldnt be an issue.

Plus this isn't even developed yet. Right now no one is making apps, no one said there won't be any 3rd party apps or 1st party ones for that matter.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Ahhh, yet another iPhone bashing thread. Why don't you all put your money where your mouth is and buy some stock in Palm? Short apple stock while you're at it, let me know how it turns out.
Playing the victim again?

1) no one force you to read these posts
2) no one forces you to respond to these posts
3) you don't have to agree with everyone or anyone

Also, just b/c people criticize the iPhone for potential short comings or decide it won't fit their needs (don't like cingular, need 3g, don't listen to music, etc) doesn't mean they're a Palm devotee who thinks they walk on water.

But it has to be positioned that way, right? For your victim-hood to work? Just like if you don't like Apple computers you must be an unabashed MS apologist? The world isn't that simple. Weird on how Treocentral you find people who like their Treos...strange. :shake:

Tastypeppers

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
The best take I have seen so far is Michael Mace's. He says the iPhone is not really a phone. It is a mobile entertainment platform with phone functionality added. Think of the gaming platforms--heavily regulated by the manufacturers--and it makes sense that Apple locks down the iPhone. Go to mikemace.com and navigate to his blog from there.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Widgets or apps. Apple has stated they will be available. Either by Apple or by others, as said by Steve in a NY Times article.

They will be restricted though. You won't be able to throw any crap some guy made on your phone.

Point is, it has been stated they will be there. As long as Apple is offering things that most people want, docs, some games whatever, there shouldnt be an issue.

Plus this isn't even developed yet. Right now no one is making apps, no one said there won't be any 3rd party apps or 1st party ones for that matter.

Nobody ever said it will support 3rd party widgets or apps. Please show a link that says otherwise. Steve Jobs himself said there would be no 3rd party apps in many different interviews. Sorry, I know you want it to be different, but its not.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I second Michael Mace's blog.

Lots of good stuff there.

Maletesta & Tastypeppers,

I have to disagree.

Michael Mace says the iphone is an "entertainment-focused mobile computer". If you were to ignore the fact that Steve Jobs said the killer application for this thing is the phone, you certainly cannot ignore the fact that it is actually called the "iPhone".

Then he says, "If you judge the iPhone first as a phone, it's very hard to justify. I think this has driven some of the skepticism that we've seen in online commentary about the iPhone in recent days."

What has driven some of the skepticism is that businesses refuse to believe that Apple can make intriguing AND useful products.
The world did not believe the iMac would be a success. They were wrong.
The world did not believe the iPod would be a success. They were wrong.
The world does not believe the iPhone will be a success. They will be wrong.

Then he prattles on about the phone not having a keypad to dial??? and bases the next couple of paragraphs on this issue.
Whatever...

But in these last paragraphs he also equates the iPhone to the high end iPod based on price alone. This does not make sense.

NextDream

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
Playing the victim again?

1) no one force you to read these posts
2) no one forces you to respond to these posts
3) you don't have to agree with everyone or anyone

Also, just b/c people criticize the iPhone for potential short comings or decide it won't fit their needs (don't like cingular, need 3g, don't listen to music, etc) doesn't mean they're a Palm devotee who thinks they walk on water.

But it has to be positioned that way, right? For your victim-hood to work? Just like if you don't like Apple computers you must be an unabashed MS apologist? The world isn't that simple. Weird on how Treocentral you find people who like their Treos...strange. :shake:

Liking a Treo, which I do (I have owned them since the 600) and becoming an apologist for the company are quite different. Come June Palm will be the only victim in all this but i'm sure they are pleased to know that they will have loyalists like yourself continuing to "stay the course".

Ultimately the TreoCentral reply to the iPhone is a collective cry of "This Is Our Country" because you can't be here and like something else.

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
The world does not believe the iPhone will be a success. They will be wrong.
Who is in this "world" you speak of? I don't know of anyone who doesn't believe that the iPhone will be a success.

Then he prattles on about the phone not having a keypad to dial??? and bases the next couple of paragraphs on this issue.
Whatever...
He prattles because many people judge phones based on how easy it is to dial phone numbers.

But in these last paragraphs he also equates the iPhone to the high end iPod based on price alone. This does not make sense.
Actually, based on comparable price and features. It makes sense to anyone who understands marketing.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I think the iphone will definitely be successful, mostly because the major gripes that we have will be resolved (to some degree, can resolve no keyboard) before release. I am not sure though, like I stated earlier, if people will justify spending 5-600 bucks on this phone when they have already spent 3-400 bucks on an ipod. The major market for this phone WILL BE ipod owners, since everyone has them, so this is the major question that comes to my mind. But that's just me, we all agree to disagree on this thing

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Who is in this "world" you speak of? I don't know of anyone who doesn't believe that the iPhone will be a success.
I'm referencing Malatesta's backlash statement - businesses discounting, analysts discrediting...

He prattles because many people judge phones based on how easy it is to dial phone numbers.
...and your point.
You know that the iPhone does have a keypad to dial, right?

Actually, based on comparable price and features. It makes sense to anyone who understands marketing.
But it doesn't HAVE comparable features. 80GB is not the same as 4GB. And now that the iPhone is introduced you better believe that the next iPod will have a bigger screen (probably even bigger than the iPhone in both size and size ratio).

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711