You can't install applications on iPhone?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Maletesta & Tastypeppers,

I have to disagree.
I was actually recommending his blog in general (since he used to work for Palm) not necessarily this article which I have not yet read.

I also didn't infer from that article I posted that iPhone would not be a success but rather it won't have a huge impact on the over-all phone industry since they are so late to the game and will be restricted by carriers (like here in the U.S.).

As far as I can tell, almost everyone thinks

a) the phone is built very well
b) it will influence the industry as far as design/expectations
c) it will do very well

What a lot of us disagree on is that it will

1) replace or compete with the Treo or even PDA line of smartphones
2) it can do more than current technology

KMeloney

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
I'm not bashin it just stating the facts.

Where did you get your pre-release iPhone? ;)

Seriously, folks... What kills me about these iPhone threads (on both "sides") is how anyone can speak about almost any aspect of this phone as "fact." The thing isn't even out yet, and people are already iPhone pros. Hell, I bet half the Apple team working on this thing isn't sure what exactly it will/won't do at this point, given that they know that they still have months to get it straight (and years more to get it better -- or to can it altogether).

You're either excited about the prospect of what this iPhone can offer, you're hoping it crashes and burns, or you're somewhere in the middle. Being excited about the prospects of this phone, I don't completely understand the folks who are trashing it before it's even out (you know who you are, 'cause you prove here that you can't help yourselves). That being said, statements about this phone being the end-all-be-all of cell phones before you're sure what it can do is equally baffling to me.

/< / /2 /<

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
I'm referencing Malatesta's backlash statement - businesses discounting, analysts discrediting...
I still don't know of anyone who does not believe the iPhone will be a success. Apparently you don't either.

...and your point.
You know that the iPhone does have a keypad to dial, right?
No. Apparently you're confusing images of keys on a touchscreen with actual keys.

But it doesn't HAVE comparable features.
Um, no. As I said, it makes sense to anyone who understands marketing.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Re future major changes to the IPhone - If its to be released in 5 months surely it should have feature lockdown in about 2 to allow for FCC and carrier testing?

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Re future major changes to the IPhone - If its to be released in 5 months surely it should have feature lockdown in about 2 to allow for FCC and carrier testing?

Surur
FCC approval is based on hardware. Carrier testing? That has been done over the course of the last year.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
FCC approval is based on hardware. Carrier testing? That has been done over the course of the last year.

I thought Cingular only saw the phone a week or two ago? Which one is it? Carriers do carrier testing, not Apple,and it usually FOLLOWS FCC clearance.

Carrier testing certainly involves software.

Surur

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Apple can produce no failures except

I think it is hilarious that people keep saying "People said the Mac was going to be a failure and they were wrong"

I am not saying the iphone won't be successful but Steve Jobs was fired from Apple for his failures, I know some of you aren't old enought to remember...
20th Anniversary Macintosh

A/UX Operating system 1988
Mac Classic
Apple Hockey puck mouse
The Mac Cube
Powerbook 5300
Mac TV
Lisa
15.1 Macintosh Portable $6,500
Newton
Rokr

MarkY

Oct 27, 2004
Visit site
As far as I can tell, almost everyone thinks

a) the phone is built very well
b) it will influence the industry as far as design/expectations
c) it will do very well

What a lot of us disagree on is that it will

1) replace or compete with the Treo or even PDA line of smartphones
2) it can do more than current technology
That's a pretty good summary of popular opinion from what I've heard and read. :thumbsup:

Tastypeppers

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
Following up on the Michael Mace comment I threw in from my Treo...

Yes it's a phone. Yes it will have a huge impact on the phone world. (Probably for the good, I'd say).

But I think his perspective of looking at it through Playstation glasses is much more instructive than looking at the iPhone through Treo (or TyTN or whatever phone you like) glasses. Apple is simply coming at the phone market from a completely different angle. And from their angle "lock out 3rd party developers" is a Good Thing.

Kinda like pick-up trucks and cars. Coming at the same market--boxes of steel on wheels--from two different angles. Stands to reason you'd think differently about the basic configuration of both.

So if I complain that my Honda Accord doesn't have a truck bed and can't tow a big speedboat, you're going to look at me funny. Kinda like the way Steve Jobs will look at me when I whine about not having Expense Diary (www.adarian.com) installed on my iPhone.

In the Honda Accord market, you don't need that stuff. In the newly-defined market that the iPhone is creating, you don't need/get 3rd party software.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
Apple has certainly had failures. But several you listed below were done when Jobs was not there, it's hard to believe he would have released those. Those were:

Powerbook 5300
Newton

As far as the ROKR, that was a Motorola product, Apple only supplied iTunes software for it. I can't believe anyone thought it would sell. It was a very clunky looking phone with crippled iTunes capability. Of course the fact that the iPod Nano was released the same day didn't help it. ;)

I think it is hilarious that people keep saying "People said the Mac was going to be a failure and they were wrong"

I am not saying the iphone won't be successful but Steve Jobs was fired from Apple for his failures, I know some of you aren't old enought to remember...

Mac Classic
Apple Hockey puck mouse
The Mac Cube
Powerbook 5300
Mac TV
Lisa
Newton
Rokr

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
I thought Cingular only saw the phone a week or two ago? Which one is it? Carriers do carrier testing, not Apple,and it usually FOLLOWS FCC clearance.

Carrier testing certainly involves software.

Surur
Actually, I read that Apple gave Cingular dummy handsets so as not to reveal the iPhone design. I would assume the purpose of those handsets was testing. In theory, they could begin testing the phone hardware and software without the flashy UI.

GreenHex

Feb 10, 2006
www.swCP3.com
The man-who-can-do-no-wrong has said in different interviews that badly written phone applications can take down the phone network, and that is bad. Hence no 3rd party apps for the iPhone.

ScandaLeX

Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
I'm not bashin it just stating the facts. iPhone will be in a league of its own with out 3rd party support, like the Nokia N series. Hugly popular. but try runnin more than "fun " apps and u will quickly find out that there aren't too many places to go. Photos, Movies and Music.
Financially speaking, of course it would make more sense to buch apple stock than Palms. That's a no brainer. but that's not the topic here.

What facts? smiley, luv ya ta def; but like everyone else, seems to me that the only thing you are doing is speculating on a product that hasnt hit the shelves yet.

On another note - who cares if you cant add 3rd party stuff to it. There's a device out there for everyone; depending on your needs. If you're happy with the Treo, thats great, but why bash something all to hell that many of you, who even sit here and say wont buy it, will be one of the 1st maxing out your cards to do so.

Do I need an iPhone, nope....just like I didnt need all the other gadgets that I have. I've said before in other post that for me, gadgets are just a "want" factor.

Knowing before hand that the iPhone wont do what the Treo does, I wouldnt get it with the thought in mind that it would; I mean, thats just plain ridiculous.

I just wanna know why some of ya'll aint happy unless you can compare everything on the market to a Treo?!?

KMeloney

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
What facts? smiley, luv ya ta def; but like everyone else, seems to me that the only thing you are doing is speculating on a product that hasnt hit the shelves yet.

On another note - who cares if you cant add 3rd party stuff to it. There's a device out there for everyone; depending on your needs. If you're happy with the Treo, thats great, but why bash something all to hell that many of you, who even sit here and say wont buy it, will be one of the 1st maxing out your cards to do so.

Do I need an iPhone, nope....just like I didnt need all the other gadgets that I have. I've said before in other post that for me, gadgets are just a "want" factor.

Knowing before hand that the iPhone wont do what the Treo does, I wouldnt get it with the thought in mind that it would; I mean, thats just plain ridiculous.

I just wanna know why some of ya'll aint happy unless you can compare everything on the market to a Treo?!?

^ What she said. ^

Lighten up, nay-sayers! :)

/< / /2 /<

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Well, everything is compared to a Treo. Well, cuz its Treocentral and the Treo is the best.
I had a Nokia E61 I loved it. but not much software, no threaded messaging. A very nice phone but missin a few things.
To be fair the Treos are missing a few things too, wifi and A2DP. This is what happens when a new product is released, it is talked about.
Speculating is fun though, even when u don't know much about the product. :D

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
Well, everything is compared to a Treo. Well, cuz its Treocentral and the Treo is the best.
I had a Nokia E61 I loved it. but not much software, no threaded messaging. A very nice phone but missin a few things.
To be fair the Treos are missing a few things too, wifi and A2DP. This is what happens when a new product is released, it is talked about.
Speculating is fun though, even when u don't know much about the product. :D

A few questions. I just read your blog post on the iPhone. A few questions for you.

1. Why do you think you can't listen to iTunes content?
2. Why would you need Agendus with the sychronization the iPhone offers with the Mac?
3. At the end you say, Apple has no iTunes support. What exactly do you mean? You do know it syncs all your content, not just media, through iTunes right?

Sorry, it just seems that you failed to read up on how this thing worked.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

I guess thats why Jobs said everyone was doing the phone wrong and showed the Treo on his slides. I guess only the great turtle-necked god can compare one phone to another, and declare his the best. Woe befall us to criticize his IPhone.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site

a voice of reason. thank you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73