Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Default iPhone/GSM/CDMA in USA

I'm from Malaysia (GSM only), so, sorry for these ignorant questions:

1) In USA, can people who are on GSM call people who are on CDMA?
    2) iPhone is exclusive to Cingular (GSM). Don't people who are on CDMA, especially those who are Apple fans feel angry that they are shunned?

Just curious
    iPhone Nanite

4 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts

Calling wise, yes, people with GSM phones can call people with CDMA phones. Oddly enough however, they can't always sms. CDMA phones have a lot of drawbacks though as they are usually locked down from a feature standpoint.

I can't speak for others, since I use GSM, but yes, if I were on CDMA, I would feel a bit shunned by Apple. I feel shunned anyway at the though of Cingular getting the iphone and having it crippled and locked. I think there should be an unlocked version for sale to the world!
    iPhone Newbie

28 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,181 Global Posts

It's pretty common for a phone to be exclusively available to one carrier for a set period of time in the US. For example, Verizon (CDMA) got the first Windows Mobile Treo with the 700w and it was quite a while before Sprint was able to offer a Windows Treo (700wx). Even worse, the GSM market had to wait even longer as the newly released 750 is the first GSM Windows Mobile Treo released in the US.