Top Five Reasons Why the iPhone Sucks

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
the size of the keys shown in the picture above make me feel a whole lot more positive about the device and its potential.

i haven't done a ton of research on it but if it can't synch with our firm's outlook server (at the least) or as an alternative allow for Goodlink then it won't suffice as a business tool for me. it will easily and certainly suffice as a secondary device, for me.

i like the keyboard that is shown.

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=351973122&context=photostream&size=l

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=351974052&context=photostream&size=l
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=351974970&context=photostream&size=l

Hey is the ring silent button a motion sensing button. It looks like it might be. Kinda like on the Apple Displays
351981402_366ba1002d_b.jpg

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
why is there so much concern over "replacing" a battery? why would the user need to replace the battery? don't batteries last for years? the ones in all of the devices i have ever owned have worked flawlessly in terms of providing a charge over time. i will say this: motorola star-tacs that i owned moons ago did actually need a new battery after some time.

don't misinterpret: i am speaking about the need to "replace" versus the need to "remove."

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
Are you getting personal?! Perhaps you need to evaluate your life if you start insulting pp. over thir valid opinions...I made a valid point.

Not everyone has the time to "go down the road" to replace a phone battery when they have more important things to do like work, groceries, pick up the kids etc etc OR want to have a gazillion chargers....being able to order a battery online (5 mins top) and have it at your door in 3 days ready at hand seems much less of a hassle to me! Basically extends your product life by two and cut the hassle of lining up in a store...save that time for more serious phone problems like a touchscreen that doesn't work or a bad microphone.

And if the phone is made for the average consumer who doesn't have to be high tech fixing it should fall into that comfy Apple lifestyle - I guarantee it's easier to replace a removable battery than

a. doing it yourself (I've changed my iPod battery and despite what ppl say it's hard and you're liable to scratch your device, break your plastic tools etc if you're not careful)

b. paying $100 and waiting 1-3 weeks for apple to do it (given that's a big chunk of what the iPod/iphone cost the first place) esp if there is no store where you live/work.

I state again - they would have made the phone much more attractive if they'd used a removable/user-replaceable battery

In no way am I trying to get personal. I just think it is a shame if you can't find 30 minutes to replace a battery at the store.

Maybe it would be more attractive. But how long do you keep your devices? I will have my iPhone maybe 2 years before I upgrade to a new one. My iPods have done just fine for two years. My Treo is kicking along at one year.

Battery life for me isn't an issue. If someone can't reach me for an hour. Oh well. But if I am at school, home, work I can plug it into a USB port and let it charge.

I am not saying it isn't an issue. But look at it from my perspective here. I am going to guess most people are like me, as 70% (thats a low estimate) don't carry extra batteries around with them. Even their charger is limited as you need an outlet. The iPhone can do it over USB, and there are also power adapters that take the USB so you can plug it into the wall. One charging system that is flexible. No billion chargers.

This isn't a big inconvienence. Most people aren't carrying multiple batteries around even though they can. That speaks volumes to your claim that it should be there.

To each their own. People are buying iPods without much complaint....

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I state again - they would have made the phone much more attractive if they'd used a removable/user-replaceable battery

And in case you didn't read my post above, I wil state again... that if Apple did this, you would need to carry around a spare battery just to have the same number of hours in battery life because the space required for such a feat would negate its benefits (ie: cut the batteries physical size in half).

kmrivers

Apr 4, 2006
Visit site
why is there so much concern over "replacing" a battery? why would the user need to replace the battery? don't batteries last for years? the ones in all of the devices i have ever owned have worked flawlessly in terms of providing a charge over time. i will say this: motorola star-tacs that i owned moons ago did actually need a new battery after some time.

don't misinterpret: i am speaking about the need to "replace" versus the need to "remove."

I agree. Replacing isn't an issue in most cases. After years, yes I can see it. Which is natural. You pay the $65.95 (ipod price) and get it replaced.

I also love how much the price of replacing inflated, please quote the actual price. It only makes you sound like you are rabbidily trying to knock it when you use inaccurate numbers. It most assuredly doesn't cost $100. It is $65.95.

https://support.apple.com/

Also, it is covered for the first year. Apple may offer AppleCare for it as well. Which means you could have it replaced before the warranty is up, either at a year or two years.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

The iPod batteries do need to be replaced after "X" time. Fact is LiON batteries degrade the moment after they are made and they could loose on average about 20% per year, hence why they need to be replaced.

I have friends who are "heavy" iPod users (3-4 hours a day?) and I've seen their batteries loose capacity after a year to 16 months. Heat of the battery (the higher, the worse) is also a factor. Fully discharging can also damage their lifespan.

Now a "5 hour" battery after 1 year of usage will be significantly less than 5 hours (and that is being generous, assuming everyone gets 5 hours, which I doubt just due to low signal, etc.). Plus, this is a media phone, not just a cell phone meaning it'll be used much more often for music, video, internet, etc, so direct comparisons to a "normal" cell phone can not be made.

Plus the biggy: this is a phone and will most likely be left "on" 24/7 so they will certainly draw more power and have to be recharged more often than an iPod.

This is why people are concerned. Maybe it won't matter, maybe it will. Past experience tells us it might be an issue for some.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
some will beat on this device til the end, just like i have beat on MY OWN treos that i have owned over time. yes, i own them and still have less than great things to say about them as i think they're lacking when it comes to today's technology and design. that's why i think the iPhone is such a breath of fresh air given what has been announced. it might have its mis-givings (although it has not been finalized nor released into the marketplace) but it sure seems like a step in the right direction given Palm's reluctance to get with the times.

this thread was about what?

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
And in case you didn't read my post above, I wil state again... that if Apple did this, you would need to carry around a spare battery just to have the same number of hours in battery life because the space required for such a feat would negate its benefits (ie: cut the batteries physical size in half).

well that's what innovation is about... you're assuming you KNOW why they made the battery non-removable i.e. it would cut the size and thus the charge drastically...i don't have the data to say either or, and I'd think no one outside of Apple Inc does either atm.

What I know is that it would be better for the average person to have their phone available at all times w/o having to leave it for a unnecessary battery replacement - something they could do themselves depending ont eh type of battery.

I also doubt that making the battery removable will halve its size..are you saying this from professional experience? Because that sounds rather drastic to me. The treo 680 is the around the same size as the iPhone (give or take a few mms in depth) and only ~ 0.5 ounces heavier with a replaceable battery...I'm sure plenty ppl wouldn't care if the iPhone was a few mm deeper if they coud save $50-80 US in battery replacement fees....

PS yep the replacement fees I stated b4 are a guess as I've heard it was as high as $80..don't know myself as I live outside the US and had to do it myself...wasn't easy and I'd rather rnot have to do that with my phone! $65 you say? In store maybe but I think shipping costs are ommited no?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
The iPod batteries do need to be replaced after "X" time. Fact is LiON batteries degrade the moment after they are made and they could loose on average about 20% per year, hence why they need to be replaced.

I have friends who are "heavy" iPod users (3-4 hours a day?) and I've seen their batteries loose capacity after a year to 16 months. Heat of the battery (the higher, the worse) is also a factor. Fully discharging can also damage their lifespan.

Now a "5 hour" battery after 1 year of usage will be significantly less than 5 hours (and that is being generous, assuming everyone gets 5 hours, which I doubt just due to low signal, etc.).

Plus the biggy: this is a phone and will most likely be left "on" 24/7 so they will certainly draw more power and have to be recharged more often than an iPod.

This is why people are concerned. Maybe it won't matter, maybe it will. Past experience tells us it might be an issue for some.

i haven't had to replace any of my batteries on any of my more current pda devices, maybe you and everyone else has. all of my devices are also left on 24/7 and i believe them to be/have been powered by lithium ion batteries, so i'm not concerned like you? or like so many others.

can't wait to give the iPhone a try.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
And actually isn't this thread about why the iPhone SUCKS? At least that was the first post....perhaps we are arguing in the wrong thread and need to stat one on the pluses and minuses of non-removable batteries in the iPhone?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
i haven't had to replace any of my batteries on any of my more current pda devices, maybe you and everyone else has. all of my devices are also left on 24/7 and i believe them to be/have been powered by lithium ion batteries. so i'm not concerned like you? or so many others.

can't wait to give the iPhone a try.
I usually by new batteries for my Treos/etc at least every 12-16 months.

That number is going down simply because I buy a whole new device in 12-16 months (alas, most people don't and won't with a $600 phone). My Sanyo 8100 stock and extended battery both lost their capacity and my friends Motorola just did the same (he had no idea why he had to keep constantly charge it).

Plus it does happen with iPods which is why there is the current "warranty" program in place now since the early gen products had lots of issues.

Like I said it may or may not be an issue but Apple didn't reinvent the battery and the same physics applies. Only time will tell.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I have had my iPod for a couple of years. Not one losing any of its advertised battery use yet.

Of course it has a hard drive so I don't leave it in the glove compartment or in the center console like I suspect your friends did. I say this knowing that the sweltering heat in a car can effect the battery (the battery of anything, including a Treo) just like the hard drive.

By the way, I think its funny that you have to insinuate that Apple's products lose 20% of their battery life each year. This is a ridiculous claim and one that goes against Apple's pensiveness for quality control.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
The treo 680 is the around the same size as the iPhone (give or take a few mms in depth) and only ~ 0.5 ounces heavier with a replaceable battery...I'm sure plenty ppl wouldn't care if the iPhone was a few mm deeper if they coud save $50-80 US in battery replacement fees....

to clarify: the iPhone is actually almost 1/2 the size in terms of depth (11.6mm iPhone vs 22mm Treo) and a measurable difference in weight when comparing it percentage terms.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
By the way, I think its funny that you have to insinuate that Apple's products lose 20% of their battery life each year. This is a ridiculous claim and one that goes against Apple's pensiveness for quality control.
Spoken like a true believer.

I didn't say "Apple's products".

I was referring to LiON batteries in general and if you had clicked the link I provided you would know that. :shake: Do they use some kind of "magic" battery? Did Dear Leader tell you that?

I even used the qualifier "could" in there.

Please try harder next time.

I swear you Apple people are so sensitive. You need to make a "hater" our of everyone despite contrary evidence (like that I own an iPod and a Mac).

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
well that's what innovation is about... you're assuming you KNOW why they made the battery non-removable i.e. it would cut the size and thus the charge drastically...i don't have the data to say either or, and I'd think no one outside of Apple Inc does either atm.
I am not assuming. I know that its the reason why. It would be stupid to believe they chose to do this for any other reason. I do not work for Apple and have no inside knowledge.

I also doubt that making the battery removable will halve its size..are you saying this from professional experience? Because that sounds rather drastic to me. The treo 680 is the around the same size as the iPhone (give or take a few mms in depth) and only ~ 0.5 ounces heavier with a replaceable battery...I'm sure plenty ppl wouldn't care if the iPhone was a few mm deeper if they coud save $50-80 US in battery replacement fees....
I am not sure what else to say. It seems apparent that you did not read my previous post.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
They have had this capability since the very first iPod. It has always been there.

I started with some version of 6 and never noticed it before. Only in 7. Must be the new interface or something. Also my computer only seemed to start noticing the iPod as a drag and drop device after 7. :confused:

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I usually by new batteries for my Treos/etc at least every 12-16 months.

would be interesting (just for grins) to see how MANY people buy new batteries (an oem replacement, not an extended one) for their treos, let alone in a 12mo-16mo period. i'd put my money on "not a lot." given my workload none of my Treos ever have lasted beyond a 16 hour day which means a whole hec of a lot of usage and associated charging. maybe that's why mine have never needed a battery replacement. lucky me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh