Top 10 things to hate about the Apple iPhone

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I don't mind the expense.. It's too limited.
Other than wifi, and a killer display..
It is no match for even a 650

vw2002

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
With no voice dial or hard dialing buttons its not even a very good dumb phone.

Surur

surur, design or draw out the perfect smartphone and post if for us here, one with absolutely nothing to criticize - provide every single specification as well, and spare no expense.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
surur, design or draw out the perfect smartphone and post if for us here, one with absolutely nothing to criticize - provide every single specification as well, and spare no expense.

Its not about satisfying every desire, but providing at least minimum specs, like you know, 3rd party apps.

Surur

vw2002

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
as we've seen with palm though, 3rd party apps can equal crashes and resets. stability is a basic expectation you'd want in a smartphone too, you know.

I suspect going forward you'll probably see 3rd party apps, but maybe not just yet. they are probably trying to ensure a stable device as their debut unit, and will probably implement outside applications in the next gen, if not in this iphone at a later date.

we will see.

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
I suspect going forward you'll probably see 3rd party apps, but maybe not just yet. they are probably trying to ensure a stable device as their debut unit, and will probably implement outside applications in the next gen, if not in this iphone at a later date.

we will see.

crap, they (Apple and cingular) are tyrying to ensure they get paid for everything that goes on the iphone?.

not a bad thing for most ppl.

not a ggod thing for ppl (a very small minority) who read forums like this.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
as we've seen with palm though, 3rd party apps can equal crashes and resets. stability is a basic expectation you'd want in a smartphone too, you know.

we will see.

This is a tough argument around here, for a number of reasons. Your point is definitely valid, I must say.

However, there is always a "new technology" or "new feature" we look for in our devices. Slingbox was the greatest thing since sliced bread on WM for a long time, probably still is. But this wasn't even heard of when wm5.0 came out.

The bigger point is most people here actually ENJOY tinkering with their device. Making their device unique. Programs they like, themes they like, etc. Apple is taking that away from people. Now some will say "This device doesn't NEED any of that stuff," but fact is my phone doesn't need ANY of the tweaks I did, but I CHOOSE to tinker with my device and make it unique to me. There's nothing "wrong" with that.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Show me a dumb phone without at least voice tags.

Surur
I've already provided my rational explanation as to why Apple should be able to fall into the "smartphone" category if you are categorizing them in this manner. It seems apparent to me that you will refuse to give Apple any satisfaction (and I use that term as I imagine it being drawn from your head because I personally could care less whether or not you believe it to be a "smartphone") so I have no desire to discuss this issue any further.

What I WOULD like to bring up is the issue of voice tags.

Have you read THIS.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Other things like the display showing time elapsed AND remaining, AT the same time, rather than clicking to cycle the display.

Speaking of locking out. The new iPods have a new screen lock application which has the click-wheel mimicking a combination lock – quite ingenious.

Ingenious? INGENIOUS?

How do you expect to have a serious mac/windows debate with anyone? The "customizations" Palm made to wm are FAR more ingenious than this, yet you give no credit to them. Be fair, Mr. Apple, then let the debate REALLY begin.

linoox

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
There are dozens of cool features in an iPhone that many of you have already heard about. But since the topic of the thread is about what you don't like about iPhone, here are my thoughts (not in any particular order):

1) smudges - I hate to see smudges and finger prints on my screen. CSI would love this.

2) scratches (iPod nano's experience) - i know that you could always get a nice leather cover. Treo's 750/680 rubber coating is definitely ahead in this respect.

3) built-in battery - unknown battery life for actual call usage. Changing Apple's battery cost a bomb! It's freakin expensive.

4) Stability - again this is from iPod Nano's experience. The thing crapped out in less than a year. Had to exchange the entire unit with another one (which they say it's a refurbished unit - What the ..!!)

5) Stylus - why not??! Doubled as a pen if I get that as an extra. I won't get smudges with stylus too.

6) Keyboard - tactile feedback. I've never enjoyed SMS so much in my entire life. I love keyboards like all tangible peripheral that comes with our computer and notebook. Remember that laser keyboard? It's cool but nothin beats the enjoyment of typing away on a real keyboard.

7) Sync with Outlook - OS X with Outlook? I doubt it will work the way I like it. Symbian syncs well with Outlook too but the info is a bit off. The fields are not right and doesn't sync every piece of information properly. I think OS X will probably do the same with Outlook.

8) Silent mode switch - on Symbian, I can press on the # key and it will change to silent mode. Treo made it better and easier in a single step by utilising the switch on top of Treo. Thus, avoiding the hassle of enabling the keyboard. I have no idea how iPhone is going to achieve that in one step.

9) Free software applications - since there isn't gonna be any 3rd party apps allowed on iPhone, free apps won't be on the table without any hack.

10) Personalised voice mail doesn't work anywhere else in the world except in States.

11) Does it work with a GPS unit?

Wow, managed to get it off my chest. Some of what have been said here are pretty similar to the article posted, but what the heck if I repeat them anyway. Honestly, I do envy those cool features on iPhone and this post is definitely not intended to defend Palm nor flame iPhone/Apple. Just facts and observations. In the meantime, I'll stay true to my Treo.

vw2002

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with CHOOSING to tinker with your device, trying to make it more personal or representative of your unique style, but you must then be ready to live with the possibility that it might be less stable, more prone to crashes when most inconvenient.
if you use your phone as more of a hobby or fun gadget, then crashes may not be that big of a deal, but if you want to DEPEND on it to work when you need it to, as your RELIABLE, primary cellphone (business or otherwise), you want a stable device, which may make it (for now) impractical to implement 3rd party apps. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that either.
I want a stable unit with the awesome features of the iphone. I don't mind not having the extra, and in most cases, superfluous or unnecessary 3rd party apps.

G-funkster

Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
but you must then be ready to live with the possibility that it might be less stable, more prone to crashes when most inconvenient.
Palm OS is a crappy OS.. it's very limited so it requires 3rd party apps that push the system (background playback, email checking) which lead to stability issues not present in more modern operating systems that some of us are using on their phones.

If you are here on Treocentral (and have or had a Treo), you've chosen the Treo based on form factor and features that come in the way of 3rd party apps, usually. Saying that you won't require this from your next phone makes you an 'apologist'. Keep repeating it; by the time the iPhone gets here you'll be convinced.

Meanwhile, I'll be watching some slingbox and downloading music on my PPCPE device. If I didn't care about 3rd party apps, I'd have a beautiful Blackberry Pearl. Honest.

vw2002

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
so why are you here, if you use a PPCPE or whatever it is - you don't even have a treo!
simply because I have a treo, have used 3rd party apps like the core media player, mobitv, verichat, agendus, snappermail as well as others only to find that I use them less and less, doesn't make me an "apologist". But keep repeating that to YOURSELF, that I am an apologist. I discount your namecalling there because while you're watching movies on your little handheld, ill be watching movies on my high definition flat screen tv at home right here. lol. are you going to apologize for the fact that your tiny little handheld can't give you the wonderful high res that my HDTV provides me with, g-dude?
please, run along now.

ion++

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
8) Silent mode switch - on Symbian, I can press on the # key and it will change to silent mode. Treo made it better and easier in a single step by utilising the switch on top of Treo. Thus, avoiding the hassle of enabling the keyboard. I have no idea how iPhone is going to achieve that in one step.
Actualy i've heard that it does have a ringer switch. It's on the side and should be the top black spot in this picture http://www.engadget.com/photos/first-iphone-pics/130208/

As for your other thoughts. They may or may not change in the future. Apple might accept 3. party apps if they are good enough. Like signed software you get from Apple.com. This may or may not include free software (both free as in cost, but also free as in beer).

GPS is probably one of those things that we would see as software.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234