Can the iPhone succeed with only one service carrier?

Kobie

Jan 4, 2005
Visit site
The specs say GSM, which I assume would cover several carriers. I wonder if there is any hope for a CDMA (Sprint) version coming.

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
Well it really appeal to traditional Apple laptop users who otherwise would have used a really crappy SE phone anyway.

Apple has been in the 5% market since forever, they know how to make money in the niche place.

Kobie

Jan 4, 2005
Visit site
Wow! 6 months before it's even available???? 2 years before it comes to Sprint??? No expandable/replaceable memory???
I think I need to learn more about this device before I jump on the"I've gotta have it" bandwagon.

NextDream

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
Wow! 6 months before it's even available???? 2 years before it comes to Sprint??? No expandable/replaceable memory???
I think I need to learn more about this device before I jump on the"I've gotta have it" bandwagon.

Ahh the non believer. www.apple.com/iphone and go to "watch the keynote"

Expandable memory on a phone with 8gb of memory already? Your treo will only take a 4gb expansion card:confused:

And can it survive on one network...I say yes, that network has 58 million subscribers already not to mention those who will jump ship and they are giving themselves a 6 month lead in to boost anticipation & sales.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I know I read on one of the news websites today that iPhones would be available at Apple stores. Wouldn't that mean you could put your TMobo sim in one?

razorpit

Dec 18, 2000
Visit site
I'm sure you'll sign up with Cingular as you purchase the phone. If they can put kiosks all over malls and every where else I'm sure they can set something up in each Apple store.

Dunc

Jun 9, 2002
www.dunc-it.com
It's a GSM phone, so you'll be able to use it on any GSM network. There'll be unlocked versions at launch don't you worry. That being said, can they make it just one primary carrier - absolutely, if the carrier is the biggest which in this case it is. Will there be CDMA version? If I was a betting man... Not a chance. Apple isn't traditionally a company that markets many versions of their hardware - it's there way and you work with it. That and the fact that the CDMA market just isn't big enough in the grand scheme of things.

Dunc

NextDream

Feb 17, 2005
Visit site
Dunc is right. You haven't seen any iTunes phones anywhere but Cingular to this point. The SLVR, Razor etc. no reason to think this will be any different.

driven01#IM

Oct 1, 2004
Visit site
In Europe people pay $900 - $1100 for unlocked smartphones. I'm sure this thing will be available without a service contract for probably around the same price. Considering it has the capabilities of a tablet PC that's reasonable, no?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
No third party software makes it a nice dumb phone. What about GPS and Office? No Sling? If its running real OSX, why cant Itunes download music directly from the store? I would not pay that much for a fancy dumb phone.

Surur

driven01#IM

Oct 1, 2004
Visit site
Nobody knows one way or the other if there will be 3rd party software. Personally I'd be brushing up on my OS X development skills now to make a few bucks.

If it has an internet connection then I don't see any reason why you can't download software directly from iTunes, unless Cingular restricts it. (But, they aren't the Verizon phone-cripple nazis so there might be hope.)

skfny

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
This device will be incredibly successful even on only ONE carrier. But until a few questions are resolved, I can't call it a 'smartphone'.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Nobody knows one way or the other if there will be 3rd party software. Personally I'd be brushing up on my OS X development skills now to make a few bucks.

If it has an internet connection then I don't see any reason why you can't download software directly from iTunes, unless Cingular restricts it. (But, they aren't the Verizon phone-cripple nazis so there might be hope.)

They call it Itunes, but I dont think its the Itunes we know and are apathetic about. I'm sure its a separate, more limited version of the software, made just for this device. If it was the full version you could play internet radio for example, and download podcasts directly to the device, but I see no mention of this.

Surur

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2