Power Users : will you buy one given the specs?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i notice that a lot of the non-power user crowd is salivating over today's announcement. what i also see is some of the old time power users liking what they see which would seem counter-intuitive but what the hec, maybe they like it as a secondary device. but lets ask the question and find out!

Power Users (whatever that means): would you buy this phone given the specs that were released today?

Thanks!

hannip

Jan 30, 2006
Visit site
I'd buy it once it supports 3G or better speeds. Until then, nope. And I'd have to try the touch keyboard to see if it actually works as well as they say. Plus it all looks so shiney and new now, but let's see how it works in the real world.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
No, for a number of reasons.
1) EDGE too slow to use as a modem for a laptop.
2) 2 Megapixel camera is so yesterday these days.
3) Poor 320x480 screen, when it pretends to very ambitious web browsing.
4) no navigation buttons, so task changing wont be fast e.g. press the phone or e-mail or web browser button etc.
5) No keyboard
6) No D-pad, so no good for gaming.

I could go on and on, but the more I look at it, the more toyish it looks. I would rather get a Windows Vista UMPC for double the price with built-in broadband, like the new EVDO OQO. At least I get a 800x480 screen, I am guaranteed to be able to run any desktop apps, I get 30 GB storage and broadband data.

Not that this product wont be a smashing success, but in its current incarnation it will not work for me. You could not even use voice and data at the same time, e.g. book a ticket online while speaking to some-one on the phone, because its EDGE only, not UMTS!

Surur

ghileman

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
I need 3G and jury is out on the iPhone keyboard. For me the keyboard is key! (pardon the pun)

I'm returning my BlackJack in favor of a 750 because the BlackJack couldn't keep up with my typing speed. I had to go back and edit every single sms, email, note edit, etc. I made.

While others have faith in Apple's design prowess, I haven't forgotten their epic fumble of fumbles (the Newton).

daThomas

Feb 4, 2004
AskTheCouch.com
I agree with the keyboard. If I can't one handed type and overall one handed operation then it's no good to me.

Yup, EDGE is far too slow.

Battery life. I'm VERY skeptical one could get a full days moderate use much less a full day of heavy use out of this thing. And if it follows past models it will not be interchangeble but a sealed battery.

And no SD or miniSD? What's up with that?

allonon

Feb 7, 2005
Visit site
Nope. For the market they're going after, they have a killer device, and all the Apple fanboys will surely tout is as the end all be all. It has a lot of nice features but not for me.

I've never been an iPod fan. The size of tha nano was nice, but itunes sync just annoyed me let alone the interface.

Giant screen. Ouch, I would be afraid to carry that in fear of dropping it. I drop my treo and blackberry a fair amount. no way I would want to carry that for business. Maybe as strictly a personal phone.

PIMs. concentration on contacts is pretty evident. But I need wireless calendar. thats crucial. and I don't mean yahoo calendar.

apps upon apps upon apps upon games upon apps.
Sure they'll be some widgets that do some of the stuff. But Ipod games list is so ehh... I'm sure the new interface will allow for more games, but it'll take a little bit to catch up to my current selection I carry. I don't want to wait until someone writes what I need. I have a pretty indispensible group.

Maybe after a few months, I'll look at it. But I'm not the target market, and it doesn't do everything I need

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
EDGE is the biggest limitation for me. I'm getting my 8525 soon, and hopefully 3G will be up in my area before the end of the month. I'll see how much 3G I am actually using compared with WiFi, and then when the iPhone comes out, I'll be able to make a more educated decision.
The educated decision also applies to the keyboard. As I said earlier, even with my limited Apple experience, my history with the iPod and related products has proven to me that Apple understands UIs. That's a non-issue for me until I see that it actually does or doesn't work as easily as intended.
No SDIO? With 8gb available, how badly is it needed? The biggest micro-SDs are 1gb, and the biggest minis are 2gb. Even the 4gb version is a HUGE LEAP by comparison.

3G would be nice, even if only to make me feel like the device was more worthy of it's sticker price. The same logic holds for the expansion slot - not necessary, but nice. As far as I'm concerned, this device is a winner for 85% of the population who can justify it's cost. It seems that I fall into that category. Give me a calendar, a good phone, QWERTY, email, and web-browsing, and I'm happy. Give it a slick interface like this one (assuming it's nearly as good as it looks), and I'm happy as can be.

toofgoo

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
No, for a number of reasons.
1) EDGE too slow to use as a modem for a laptop.
2) 2 Megapixel camera is so yesterday these days.
3) Poor 320x480 screen, when it pretends to very ambitious web browsing.
4) no navigation buttons, so task changing wont be fast e.g. press the phone or e-mail or web browser button etc.
5) No keyboard
6) No D-pad, so no good for gaming.

I could go on and on, but the more I look at it, the more toyish it looks. I would rather get a Windows Vista UMPC for double the price with built-in broadband, like the new EVDO OQO. At least I get a 800x480 screen, I am guaranteed to be able to run any desktop apps, I get 30 GB storage and broadband data.

Not that this product wont be a smashing success, but in its current incarnation it will not work for me. You could not even use voice and data at the same time, e.g. book a ticket online while speaking to some-one on the phone, because its EDGE only, not UMTS!

Surur

Good points...but...wait for it...wait for it...this is a Treo site...what Treo do you have that does this?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Good points...but...wait for it...wait for it...this is a Treo site...what Treo do you have that does this?

The non-Treo HTC Universal unfortunately.

l126948.jpg

Its a 18 month old high-end device (selling for $1000 a year ago) and still $915 now. http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=126948

Its nice to see that its still holding up well specs wise, even to the latest IPhone, but the HTC Omni, expected later this year, should trump the IPhone feature wise with no problem.

Palm, however, have a real problem, but the high price of the IPhone should give them some protection.

Surur

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
It seems apple has given more limitations than freedoms with this device.

Surur

in the end, apple will bring together all the treo/windows/blackberry fan boys/girls to finaly agree on one thing.

i love the screen of the iphone. i also love, like, not much else.

no kb is my biggest issue.

toofgoo

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site

l126948.jpg

Its a 18 month old high-end device (selling for $1000 a year ago) and still $915 now. http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=126948

Its nice to see that its still holding up well specs wise, even to the latest IPhone, but the HTC Omni, expected later this year, should trump the IPhone feature wise with no problem.

Palm, however, have a real problem, but the high price of the IPhone should give them some protection.

Surur

The Omni will be nice...but, my point, no Treo.

MarkY

Oct 27, 2004
Visit site
The iPhone will not work for me due to the carrier - I need CDMA. I'll be interested to see if they go after the business user and offer Office Suite integration. I also don't know how well the virtual keyboard will work. I think this will be incentive for Palm to go thinner, if they haven't already started down that path.

For my use, my 700p today is more functional then the iPhone in June '07 will be. The second generation iPhone ought to bring it all together and by then we'll know what Palm will respond with.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
The Comparison

This is Apple's debut product. I think its a credit to Apple that they are being compared to a product as fabulous as the HTC Omni, which will be released later in the year.

l126948.jpg

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Ive been watching the (very long) keynote, about half way through. I noted NO one-handed usage at all, and the typing was pure hunt-and-peck, and pretty slow.

So far impressive, I might just get it as a nice media player, not for the phone function, but it could never be my power house.

Surur

ktm97

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Not being able to replace the battery is a big issue, and then the 2yr agreement, knowing apple by the time the contract is up they will have introduced 4 new models with a lower price & more memory, just look at the history of the ipod

Dunc

Jun 9, 2002
www.dunc-it.com
i love the screen of the iphone. i also love, like, not much else.

no kb is my biggest issue.

You'll come around don't worry. I'm not worried about the keyboard - remember how everyone *****ed when they dropped Grafitti? That was the end, how could they do that! Same w/ the keyboard, just you wait and see.

Dunc

joele

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
All of the points in this thread about what the iphone lacks are true, esp lack of SD slot, and typical no-change battery...

But that means nothing, the IPOD feature wise lacks a lot compared to many players of the market, but people buy what looks cool and what the flashy adds tell them to buy.. This phone will do very well..

A few models on when they add a few more functions and if they allow developers to make apps for it, it may be worth buying??

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice