The iPhone UI, questions...

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
I figure I would start a thread just for the UI since is so different from the Palm/WM/Symbian philosophy. :)

Look at this picture. How do you type the letters without the stylus? Is it predictive?

TreoStallion

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
The answer this will make or break this phone in my mind. The device is really small (about the same size as my s620) and I'm thinking its going to be really hard to hit those virtual keys with any consistency.

Also I need to know if this will sync with exchange and/or Blackberry servers. I'm thinking not.

PDR447

Oct 2, 2006
Visit site
from the demo it looks like it is somewhat predictive.

but yes the typing "experience" is a big question-mark in my mind.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
The device will apparently automatically switch to landscape when turned to the horiziontal. If the on-screen keyboard increases in size as a consequence, it should be easier to type on than the pic implies.

Chatter

Sep 1, 2002
www.chatteremail.com
There's something intruiging here....

Who remembers WHY the QWERTY keyboard was invented?

Answer: It was invented to prevent the jamming of keys typed nearly simultaneously. To me, that implies that a predictive keyboard algorithm should work pretty nicely...

Marc

juancuero

Nov 30, 2006
Visit site
The answer this will make or break this phone in my mind. The device is really small (about the same size as my s620) and I'm thinking its going to be really hard to hit those virtual keys with any consistency.

Also I need to know if this will sync with exchange and/or Blackberry servers. I'm thinking not.

Syncs through iTunes only.

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
Based on watching the flash demo for the email app several times, it seems to have a system to automatically suggest corrections for typos, but no predictive text.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
I'm NOT an Apple fanboy. I've probably logged less than 3 hours of Apple computer time in my whole life. My wife, however, has an iPod - and I use it a good bit. I find it counter-intuitive that they would make this device with a clumsy UI for typing. I'm anxious to see it, as well; but I'll be surprised if it's not an absolute pleasure to use.

Then again, you're always going to have the non-adopters saying "nah, I don't like it 'cause you can't use it one handed...".
I don't miss one handed use all that much. That other hand always got itself into trouble before! :)

Silver Sun

Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
That screens going to get bloody dirty after even a couple of hours of use.

Also will touchscreen failure been an issue with the contiued "hard" screen taps - i can see myself tappping away quite hard on that screen.

cardio

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Chatter, why do you keep saying that? The dimensions are 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches. That's hardly "large".

Because Gizmodo put up a comaprison with the wrong dimensions
(6.26 x 3.29 x .687).

The acutal size is about the same as the Blackjack, so yes it is small and easy to use as far as size goes.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
attachment470edc3alq1.jpg

Is that a real picture of the OS? If so, how do you task switch? WM has the start menu? What does this have? Would you have to go back to the home screen with the one and only home button every time? Or will it be a gesture based OS?

Surur

hannip

Jan 30, 2006
Visit site
Is that a real picture of the OS? If so, how do you task switch? WM has the start menu? What does this have? Would you have to go back to the home screen with the one and only home button every time? Or will it be a gesture based OS?

Surur

It has a new technology. You just think where you want it to go and it goes there. lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234