THE Treo Killer - the iPhone

jimn367

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Someone started a thread in the 680 are on this as well.

I agree - this is the first time in a LOOONNNNGGG time that I have had to keep going back to a website to look at the beauty of a new gadget.

Palm as a stand-alone company is in deep trouble.

Heck with this device you can probably just VPN into the company with SecureID and fetch your mail that way.

pabo

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
hmmmmmmm....

even if I can't, I can buy it and then wait until the return period has passed before I investigate if it would work !!

My wife wants one (if you use a Mac, you know why)....

raiderfan

Oct 20, 2002
Visit site
not just a treo killer...........

its a mass murderer....blackberry....windows mobile device...etc...are all garbage compared to iphone.....

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
The biggest thing here is that it is running OS X. That opens up all kinds of possibilities. Since its running Mail and Safari it could conceivably also run many other OS X apps, maybe with only minor optimization.

dvdmon

Jun 28, 2004
twelveblackcodemonkeys.com
Sorry, but am I the only one disappointed with this? As everyone else drools (sure, it's sexy, but get ahold of yourselves!), I keep thinking about the fact that it will only do EDGE. This isn't coming out till June and yet it's using cellular communications technology that came out a couple of years ago! Now that I have EVDO, I can't go back to speeds that are 1/3 - 1/8th what I get on my 750P.

I'll just have to get the next iPod that integrates the same touch screen stuff. Heck, Apple could probably even sell it to me without the phone, just Wifi, although I don't think I could deal with only 8GB of memory (let alone 4GB). When or if Apple decides to make the phone for other carriers, in particular EVDO carriers, I might go for it - or when they integrate HSDPA even! But for now, I can't do it. Plus, I'm only 6 months into a 2-year contract. Will this phone be so alluring to some that people will pay $300 on top of the $500-600 in order to break their contracts with all the other carriers? There's no mention of an unlocked version, either, and it sounds like they are doing some special stuff that only Cingular has (the voicemail stuff)? So talk about proprietary! Ugh!

Finally, no mention of A2DP, which to me says that it won't have it...

DJ 2nd Nature

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
I am a 700p user and a Mac junkie so I'm torn. And what sux is the "multi year" deal with Cingular. So no time soon will a Sprint version be out.

dvdmon

Jun 28, 2004
twelveblackcodemonkeys.com
It has bluetooth 2.0, so it should have a2dp I think

Why should it? My 700P has BT 2.0, as does the 680, but neither support A2DP. Don't you think such an obvious feature would have been mentioned by Jobs/Apple? They showed a BT mono headset, and it comes with a WIRED stereo headset. I hope I'm wrong and that they've integrated A2DP, but it just doesn't look like that based on the information so far...

Convert#IM

Aug 21, 2006
Visit site
Unlocked version? - you are talking about Apple = proprietary locked down. Looks like a lovely device, can't wait to play with it when it comes out. UMTS will be available in a later version. But integrated limited memory, no removeable battery, I can already hear the rumblings....

Jan 16, 2006
Visit site
Sorry, but am I the only one disappointed with this? As everyone else drools (sure, it's sexy, but get ahold of yourselves!), I keep thinking about the fact that it will only do EDGE. This isn't coming out till June and yet it's using cellular communications technology that came out a couple of years ago! Now that I have EVDO, I can't go back to speeds that are 1/3 - 1/8th what I get on my 750P.

wait wait wait.. 750p?

duanedude1

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Ouch! It will sell millions, but as much as I want it, I don't. No CDMA EVDO, no memory card, only 8gb, and no qwerty. Also- no replaceable battery? So when it is dead, it is dead? My old Palm vx had no keyboard, and I was lousy at graffitti, so I used the soft keyboard with the stylus (It worked better for me than using it with fat fingers). I thought I could take or leave having a qwerty keyboard, but now that i have it on my Treo 650, I do not want to give it up. I admit that the iphone is seeexxxyyy, and has many features I wish the treo had. The soft buttons at the bottom of the screen look amazingly similar to the 680's new phone/contacts buttons. The Treo 800 better be a powerhouse if palm wants to survive. Heck,even motorola, nokia, samsung and lg better watch their backs. The iphone ( I thought linksys had that name locked up) will do more sales than all other kewl phones (even the razor) combined. It is really, really a cool phone... but like other Mp3 players may in many ways be better than the ipod, other smartphones may be better in some ways than this. But that won't matter. If it is kool (there, I spelled cool 3 different ways) and it just works, then the masses will eat it up. The gauntlet has been thrown down. I do not know if palm and the other players (even MS) can dare to compete, even if they joined forces! I still want my treo 800P... but if the iphone, revision2 takes care of the limitations mentioned above, I may actually have to purchase from Mr. Jobs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice