Ed Colligan Laughs At Apple Phone

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
November 20, 2006
Mercury News reports:
Colligan laughed off the idea that any company -- including the wildly popular Apple Computer -- could easily win customers in the finicky smart-phone sector.

''We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,'' he said. ''PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.''

link here

This guy is an idiot.
If Apple releases a phone it may not have all the capabilities of a Palm Treo but it will certainly have a number of new features that are NOT in a Palm Treo. It will be these features, that are not found in a Treo, that will set this phone apart from all others and redefine what a smart-phone really is.

Apple thinks revolutionary, unlike Palm which thinks evolutionary. Perhaps this is why Ed cannot grasp that Apple will be a serious competitor.

ktm97

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
They cannot even get the 680 or 750 released on time or upgrades to the POS or SMS, I hope Apple gives them some competition. Better for all of us.

daThomas

Feb 4, 2004
AskTheCouch.com
If Apple releases a phone it may not have all the capabilities of a Palm Treo but it will certainly have a number of new features that are NOT in a Palm Treo. It will be these features, that are not found in a Treo, that will set this phone apart from all others and redefine what a smart-phone really is.

Hmmmmm, what type of features do you think this could be?

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
''PC guys are not going to just figure this out.''

What Palm seem to have 'figured out' is that it's a good idea to get one someone else to do the OS and another someone else to do the hardware. Doesn't really seem like the most solid ground from which to start launching criticisms.

Do you think he knows that the Microsoft that makes the OS on his phones is the same one that does the PC stuff? "Who is this on the stage next to me - looks just like Gates the PC guy"

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
''PC guys are not going to just figure this out.''

What Palm seem to have 'figured out' is that it's a good idea to get one someone else to do the OS and another someone else to do the hardware. Doesn't really seem like the most solid ground from which to start launching criticisms.

Do you think he knows that the Microsoft that makes the OS on his phones is the same one that does the PC stuff? "Who is this on the stage next to me - looks just like Gates the PC guy"

Yeah, that was funny!! If the PC guys can't get it right, explain why your own OS is failing and you had to use a PC OS to stay in business!!

To be fair though, he might have meant PC guys won't get the hardware right.

daThomas

Feb 4, 2004
AskTheCouch.com
My 650 works fine.
My daughter's 700p works fine.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=1128063&postcount=3

What features will the iPhone have. . . . . . that is not in the market?

I don't think anyone has an answer to these phantom "features" that apple will have over the others.

Fact is the iPod is nothing special and never has been, it was the iTunes store and the strict $0.99/song price that made the iPod take off. And I was watching video on my 600 long before Jobs admitted he was wrong about video.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I don't think anyone has an answer to these phantom "features" that apple will have over the others.
I read your first post questioning Apple's ability to bring a better phone to market. I didn't respond because I didn't think you were REALLY looking for an answer. I believe you are firmly planted in your opinions and won't be swayed one way or another. It doesn't take to much of an imagination to project the kind of capabilities that Apple would include in a phone of their own.

Let me act as the readers imagination here.

An e-mail system: an e-mail system that is better than the Treo's or even a Blackberry by giving you access to your "desktop" account (or any other account that you may have) while keeping you in perfect sync with it.

Carry this idea through with iCal events. Once Leopard comes along in the next couple of months, we will see the introduction of iCal servers. This will let you edit your iCal events where ever you are and keep them in sync across many computers. So say Apple releases a phone; it could have the ability to automatically have access to this data in a live manner. No syncing required. It is always just there and is always current — maybe you have it accessing your Mac at home to get this information, or maybe your Mac at work (a desktop machine or a work server) or maybe even just simply having a .Mac account in which Apple's servers would provide this always available syncing capability.

Contacts? Instantly available everywhere as well. Say you get a slew of new contact numbers at a business meeting... at Joe's Pub... :)
they are instantly available on the desktop.
No docking of the phone at the office needed. It is just available. You may even get to choose in which manner they are instantly available. Maybe via wi-fi, maybe via Apple's .Mac services... maybe via... something else, like maybe a new T-Mobile partnership (purely far-fetched speculation but certainly possible as far as I know; keep in mind all of this is just projecting based on what Apple is capable of and based on their usual business tactics).

These ideas will of course carry through with iTunes. And it seems obvious as well that iTunes songs will take on new functionality in various ways. Like providing users with new ringtones and allowing them to use these very same songs that are on the phone as "Please Hold" music. This will all be done with ease utilizing Apple's incredible UI. An Apple phone could probably even have access to the iTunes Store.

I do not think it would be very far-fetched to expect an Apple phone to be able to interface with an iPod either. The phone would of course be able to communicate with a Mac and it would probably be able to communicate with the .Mac services so it would also stand to reason that it could communicate with other Apple products such as the iPod.

This would be done to give users more capabilities and flexibility but also to secure a Halo type effect in which you would be more inclined to purchase additional Apple products.

Maybe you are on the road or at work and you want different music on you phone. Just plug it in to an iPod and get what you want (this would certainly be possible now that Apple has no restrictions on uploading music from the iPod, as long as its registered).

To continue projecting capabilities, it would certainly be feasible to see widget like capabilities on a phone from Apple. After all, Nokia's series 60 phones have been using this underlying Apple browser and javascript technology on their devices for at least a year and a half now. About as long as Motorola has been using iTunes capabilities on their phones.

Apple has been using these companies as a test bed and learning everything they can to incorporate into their phone - should they release such a device.

It would also seam feasible that Apple could incorporate a motion detection system into the phone to possible use as an interface element. They have been using this kind of technology in other products like Mac Books and iPods and the Nike/iPod device to do things like sensing sudden acceleration and then instantly parking the HD to protect it. Maybe they could use these same sensors to detect other types of motions (maybe multiple opposing motions for example), like sensing if the phone is squeezed in order to quickly turn off that embarrassing ring in the middle of a theatrical production without fumbling for your pockets in the dark and trying to find a switch.

Well, these are just some of my ideas. I have many more but not the time.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Oh, and I gurantee that it would use a current version of Bluetooth - not the 2001 release of Bluetooth 1.2 like the Treo 680.

Tastypeppers

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
Can Mr. Colligan scoff dismissively at Apple (or anyone else)?

This depends on the answer to a simple question: "Can Apple (or anyone else) design and ship a phone that people like better than anything produced by Palm?"

Until Palm has the worldwide, perpetual monopoly on brains, creativity, and capital, I think they're at risk. Moreso because Palm seems to navigate largely by reference to a large rear-view mirror.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I remember when Apple laughed the day IBM introduced the PC. Bet Apple thinks its not so funny today!
Ummm... wouldn't you say APPLE had the last laugh. IBM sold their laptop division and no longer sells PCs either. All because they couldn't figure out how to make that part of their business profitable. Where have you been?

And as I recall, that was just a marketing slogan doing everything possible to stop others from laughing and to project that they were not laughing (whether seriously naive or rather smug is perhaps another issue altogether).

It went like this: Welcome, IBM. Seriously.

treo...not!

May 20, 2006
Visit site
I read your first post questioning Apple's ability to bring a better phone to market. I didn't respond because I didn't think you were REALLY looking for an answer. I believe you are firmly planted in your opinions and won't be swayed one way or another. It doesn't take to much of an imagination to project the kind of capabilities that Apple would include in a phone of their own.

Let me act as the readers imagination here.

An e-mail system: an e-mail system that is better than the Treo's or even a Blackberry by giving you access to your "desktop" account (or any other account that you may have) while keeping you in perfect sync with it.

Carry this idea through with iCal events. Once Leopard comes along in the next couple of months, we will see the introduction of iCal servers. This will let you edit your iCal events where ever you are and keep them in sync across many computers. So say Apple releases a phone; it could have the ability to automatically have access to this data in a live manner. No syncing required. It is always just there and is always current ? maybe you have it accessing your Mac at home to get this information, or maybe your Mac at work (a desktop machine or a work server) or maybe even just simply having a .Mac account in which Apple's servers would provide this always available syncing capability.

Contacts? Instantly available everywhere as well. Say you get a slew of new contact numbers at a business meeting... at Joe's Pub... :)
they are instantly available on the desktop.
No docking of the phone at the office needed. It is just available. You may even get to choose in which manner they are instantly available. Maybe via wi-fi, maybe via Apple's .Mac services... maybe via... something else, like maybe a new T-Mobile partnership (purely far-fetched speculation but certainly possible as far as I know; keep in mind all of this is just projecting based on what Apple is capable of and based on their usual business tactics).

These ideas will of course carry through with iTunes. And it seems obvious as well that iTunes songs will take on new functionality in various ways. Like providing users with new ringtones and allowing them to use these very same songs that are on the phone as "Please Hold" music. This will all be done with ease utilizing Apple's incredible UI. An Apple phone could probably even have access to the iTunes Store.

I do not think it would be very far-fetched to expect an Apple phone to be able to interface with an iPod either. The phone would of course be able to communicate with a Mac and it would probably be able to communicate with the .Mac services so it would also stand to reason that it could communicate with other Apple products such as the iPod.

This would be done to give users more capabilities and flexibility but also to secure a Halo type effect in which you would be more inclined to purchase additional Apple products.

Maybe you are on the road or at work and you want different music on you phone. Just plug it in to an iPod and get what you want (this would certainly be possible now that Apple has no restrictions on uploading music from the iPod, as long as its registered).

To continue projecting capabilities, it would certainly be feasible to see widget like capabilities on a phone from Apple. After all, Nokia's series 60 phones have been using this underlying Apple browser and javascript technology on their devices for at least a year and a half now. About as long as Motorola has been using iTunes capabilities on their phones.

Apple has been using these companies as a test bed and learning everything they can to incorporate into their phone - should they release such a device.

It would also seam feasible that Apple could incorporate a motion detection system into the phone to possible use as an interface element. They have been using this kind of technology in other products like Mac Books and iPods and the Nike/iPod device to do things like sensing sudden acceleration and then instantly parking the HD to protect it. Maybe they could use these same sensors to detect other types of motions (maybe multiple opposing motions for example), like sensing if the phone is squeezed in order to quickly turn off that embarrassing ring in the middle of a theatrical production without fumbling for your pockets in the dark and trying to find a switch.

Well, these are just some of my ideas. I have many more but not the time.

Oy! Deliver us from fanboys...

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Oy! Deliver us from fanboys...
I was going to respond to you but mistakenly clicked on your name instead of the Respond button. Then I remembered why I stopped posting here on TreoCentral for the last year when I saw your last ten posts that came up. They were all related to you calling other people fan-boys or they were posts of you defending your own comments. Now I am relegated to this position of defending my comments.

Not going to play this, especially since I was called upon in this very thread on 5 different occassions to list possible features that an iPhone might have.

This is the most screwed-up forum I have ever frequented.

JonStern

Jul 7, 2003
Visit site
...Apple thinks revolutionary, unlike Palm which thinks evolutionary. Perhaps this is why Ed cannot grasp that Apple will be a serious competitor.

I expect they will be a serious competitor. So far, for myself and my purposes and tastes, nothing has beaten a treo on Palm. However Apple are probably the one company who could come up with something with as good a blend of features and usability as Palm (and with an excellent form factor too). I'm going to hold off on buying a 680 until I see what the iPhone is like, and if I am prepared to jump the Palm ship to an iPhone I expect there will be a lot of others too...

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Not going to play this, especially since I was called upon in this very thread on 5 different occassions to list possible features that an iPhone might have.

LOL. I can post some features, since u r too shy
Music
Wireless Music
Itunes drm'ed Music
listening to Music over ad2p
listening to Music over wired headset
and oh yeah a phone

Hmmmm I think we have coverd all of the features...........Music

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads