Encryption question

dpeters11

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
This I know goes back quite a bit, but hoping someone knows.

I know when the 3GS first came out, iOS didn't support encryption, which was added in iOS 4. I believe that if you upgraded from iOS 3 to 4, then it did not encrypt unless you restored back to the device.

My question is that was this changed at some point with a more recent update, or if not is it possible to see if encryption is enabled?

This comes up because we have a new mobile device policy requiring encryption and we still have a few users with 3GS's. I believe most are current, on iOS 6 but I don't know if all of them have had to be restored over time (or if they were purchased with iOS 4+ preinstalled.)

dpeters11

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't have an iPhone myself. Others in the company do, I'll need to look some of them up and see if they are encrypted or not as I don't think I can assume. My main reason for asking the question was to see if the loophole between ios 3 to 4 was changed in 5 or 6 where upgrading to those higher versions encrypted automatically or still required a restore.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't have an iPhone myself. Others in the company do, I'll need to look some of them up and see if they are encrypted or not as I don't think I can assume. My main reason for asking the question was to see if the loophole between ios 3 to 4 was changed in 5 or 6 where upgrading to those higher versions encrypted automatically or still required a restore.

Very few still use the 3gs. Not that many use the 4. If your coworkers are on iOS 8, they should be ok. It's at iOS 8.3.

dpeters11

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Agreed, but I know for a fact some here are still on the 3GS, though I think it's certainly a small number. I'm waiting on a new report from the Exchange admin to look up the specific users.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, but I know for a fact some here are still on the 3GS, though I think it's certainly a small number. I'm waiting on a new report from the Exchange admin to look up the specific users.
If any are on a 3GS, they should upgrade. There's hardly any apps left that work on it. Some here do have one. But it's mostly a collection thing. They need at least the iPhone 4s to have all the encryption.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW