Can I update or get new apps on an old iPhone 3GS?

M L

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I've never used an iPhone before but just dusted off a friends old 3gs, popped in my Net10 sim card and changed the apn settings. It works, makes calls and have data and wifi. So far so good. My question now is do I need to have an iTunes account? Or can I even? I'm not sure if it would be able to update ios at all, looks like it's on Version 4.3.5, would any of the apps be able to be updated, or can I get new apps for a phone this old? Would connecting to iTunes change the current settings and mess everything up for me?

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: iPhone 3gs

Do you need an AppleID/iTunes account? No... Would having one be of benefit? I honestly don't know with a device of that vintage...

M L

May 14, 2015
Visit site

thanks, I think.
...I don't mean to seem rude but why bother responding if your answer is "I don't know" ?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: can I update or get new apps on an old iPhone 3gs

Many of the apps that are in the App Store require a more recent version of iOS. Having said that, you will be limited in which apps you will be able to install. Anyway, you will need an Apple ID, a gift card or debit/credit card in order to download apps from the App Store. As for whether or not you can update your iOS version, you can connect it to your computer, initiate the computer's iTunes app and then select update to find out. As for your last question, the answer is maybe. I mean, it may detect that the device is registered on a different computer and may ask if you want to register it with your computer, but I'm only speculating. You won't know for certain until you connect.

M L

May 14, 2015
Visit site

I opened google on the phone, at the bottom under the search box there's 'apps' 'voice' and 'goggles', I clicked on apps, clicked on the gmail app bringing up a description, clicked 'get' and 'install app' and it brought up the previous owners apple id for password. When I cancel it just goes back to the app description. How can I change that?
I'm really just looking for a few free apps, like gmail, not big on games and don't plan on buying any songs.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Delete the  ID in settings. Set up a new  ID for yourself.

iPhone 6 sending this your way!

M L

May 14, 2015
Visit site

thanks. I've been all through settings, didn't see anywhere to change id settings.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

thanks. I've been all through settings, didn't see anywhere to change id settings.

Go to iTunes. Scroll down to bottom on "featured". Enter ID. Then go iCloud and change ID.

M L

May 14, 2015
Visit site

It's kinda funny that people are always rude right after saying "I don't mean to be rude but ... "

Do you really think it was rude? I didn't, still don't. And didn't mean it to be, really just said that because you never know how others are going to take it or read into it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

thanks, I think.
...I don't mean to seem rude but why bother responding if your answer is "I don't know" ?

An answer of "I don't know" can tell you quite a bit. For example, it let's you know that your question(s) was/were not ignored. It let's you know that the reader contemplated what he or she read and concluded that he or she didn't know the answer. Still, in regard to the context in which the reply was given, "I don't know" is indeed a legitimate response because your device is considered very old and outdated.

M L

May 14, 2015
Visit site

I understand your point and don't want to turn this into a netiquette debate, but I just don't agree. If readers don't know the answer to someone's question it would be better not to reply at all and wait for an informed answer from someone who does know. Scrolling down pages of "I don't know's" is of no more use to someone than finding that no one has replied at all. Also other people who might have the same or similar question might find this page and think it too cluttered with useless stuff to continue reading. I know that this device is old and outdated, which is why I thought that iPhone 3GS forum was a good place to post looking for informed answers while reducing the risk of iPhone 5 and 6 users who might only reply to snarkily tell me to get a new phone, I just didn't consider that it would take this turn.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

I understand your point and don't want to turn this into a netiquette debate, but I just don't agree. If readers don't know the answer to someone's question it would be better not to reply at all and wait for an informed answer from someone who does know. Scrolling down pages of "I don't know's" is of no more use to someone than finding that no one has replied at all. Also other people who might have the same or similar question might find this page and think it too cluttered with useless stuff to continue reading. I know that this device is old and outdated, which is why I thought that iPhone 3GS forum was a good place to post looking for informed answers while reducing the risk of iPhone 5 and 6 users who might only reply to snarkily tell me to get a new phone, I just didn't consider that it would take this turn.
Move on... I posted "I don't know" with an intention to find out and get back... but, you snarked before I could... so, I quit trying to help.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

Do you really think it was rude? I didn't, still don't. And didn't mean it to be, really just said that because you never know how others are going to take it or read into it.

I do, You were, and of course you did ... hence your precursor, and my comment. Be respectful that anyone cared enough to reply, instead of copping an attitude because you didn't like the answer you received ...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I get what you saying, M.L., but from our standpoint, we have discovered that my everyone is as patient as you. You'd be surprised to see how many duplicate threads get created because someone was either too impatient or thought that no one viewed their post. That is why you often see replies similar to, "I don't know, but hopefully someone who does will be along soon to answer your question". That also tells others who may be experiencing a similar problem to be patient and check back soon for a response instead of creating a thread asking the exact same thing. Remember, what doesn't make sense to some makes perfect sense to others...:)....Anyway, let's move on from this. Everyone has given their view and all that is left is for someone to come along with a suitable suggestion. Having said that, because your device is no longer supported, finding a suitable solution may prove to be quite difficult. Just keep that in mind please.

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Idk if it helps anyone but when I got my 3GS it was erased then hooked to iTunes and received an update to a latest supported iOS 6.1.6.

I have an Apple ID and use that in the App Store but many apps required a newer iOS. Some would even say an older version was available but I couldn't get past the prompt for a new iOS to get them.

Then I read somewhere if I purchased and downloaded the app in iTunes on my desktop (Mac), it still wouldn't work or sync to the device but now if I went on the 3GS to the App Store, I would get the option since I already got the app to receive an older version, that's also if the developer supports older versions.

I was able to get the app that I wanted this way and it will even sync after installed. Make sure an older version is available first :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2