Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts

Default iPhone 3GS Recovery

I just got a 3GS from my brother and it only shows the "plug into iTunes" screen. When I plug it into iTunes, it detects that it is in Recovery and wants to restore and update. So I accept and it downloads the software and gets to just before the right side of the Apple logo and then i received an error code of -1. Apple recommends trying again 2 more times, and of course... no luck. Any suggestions? He stated it was on iOS6 but not jailbroken.

Global Posts
    22,986 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iPhone 3GS Recovery

Make sure you're using the latest iTunes app. Also, try physically putting the phone in DFU MODE to restore it.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 05-15-2013 at 10:12 AM.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts

Have the latest iTunes. The problem is, I can hold the power down forever (while plugged into PC) and I will never get the slide to power off. Its tricky to enter DFU mode since I cannot power done while plugged in and when it's not plugged in there is not enough time between plugging in and getting the Apple logo. Any other thoughts?

Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by xMatter View Post
    Have the latest iTunes. The problem is, I can hold the power down forever (while plugged into PC) and I will never get the slide to power off. Its tricky to enter DFU mode since I cannot power done while plugged in and when it's not plugged in there is not enough time between plugging in and getting the Apple logo. Any other thoughts?
    Hold the power down with the home button until it reboots. Then hold down the home button to get into dfu mode.
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts

Thanks for the help. I have come to the conclusion that one or both buttons are not working. If I plug phone in, screen lights up. I never get slide to power off, so power button may be damaged.

Global Posts
    22,986 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by xMatter View Post
    Thanks for the help. I have come to the conclusion that one or both buttons are not working. If I plug phone in, screen lights up. I never get slide to power off, so power button may be damaged.
    You will not get the "slide to power off" option while simultaneously holding the home & power buttons.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts

I am constantly getting the -1 error in iTunes when trying to restore. I have now tried another win7 machine and same outcome. I cannot find anything for a fix.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts

It appears both buttons work fine. I can enter DFU using iReb but now receiving 1394 error in iTunes. I have changed the hosts file like most sites say, but nothing. Keep getting the same error. Any have new insight?