iPhone 3GS Recovery

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got a 3GS from my brother and it only shows the "plug into iTunes" screen. When I plug it into iTunes, it detects that it is in Recovery and wants to restore and update. So I accept and it downloads the software and gets to just before the right side of the Apple logo and then i received an error code of -1. Apple recommends trying again 2 more times, and of course... no luck. Any suggestions? He stated it was on iOS6 but not jailbroken.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you're using the latest iTunes app. Also, try physically putting the phone in DFU MODE to restore it.

Last edited:

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Have the latest iTunes. The problem is, I can hold the power down forever (while plugged into PC) and I will never get the slide to power off. Its tricky to enter DFU mode since I cannot power done while plugged in and when it's not plugged in there is not enough time between plugging in and getting the Apple logo. Any other thoughts?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Have the latest iTunes. The problem is, I can hold the power down forever (while plugged into PC) and I will never get the slide to power off. Its tricky to enter DFU mode since I cannot power done while plugged in and when it's not plugged in there is not enough time between plugging in and getting the Apple logo. Any other thoughts?

Hold the power down with the home button until it reboots. Then hold down the home button to get into dfu mode.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I have come to the conclusion that one or both buttons are not working. If I plug phone in, screen lights up. I never get slide to power off, so power button may be damaged.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I have come to the conclusion that one or both buttons are not working. If I plug phone in, screen lights up. I never get slide to power off, so power button may be damaged.

You will not get the "slide to power off" option while simultaneously holding the home & power buttons.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I am constantly getting the -1 error in iTunes when trying to restore. I have now tried another win7 machine and same outcome. I cannot find anything for a fix.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It appears both buttons work fine. I can enter DFU using iReb but now receiving 1394 error in iTunes. I have changed the hosts file like most sites say, but nothing. Keep getting the same error. Any have new insight?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2