Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Question AT&T Unlock?

Today, 4/8/12, I called AT&T to unlock my contract free 3GS. Took 30 minutes on T's end to get the unlock code, and only 5 minutes to perform a backup and restore via iTunes. Interestingly enough, the phone number shows as NA in the iTunes screen. Same IMEI and ICCID if you click on the same spot.

---
    I am here:
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Is a restore a requirement? I'd rather not restore, being jailbroken.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I believe so. At least the official manner via iTunes.

---
    I am here:
    iPhone Newbie

Default Just requested my unlock

I just talked to AT&T customer service through their support chat website. I told them I wanted to unlock my old iPhone 4 that used to be associated with my account before I upgraded to the 4s. They requested my IMEI and then told me that an unlock code and instructions for how to unlock would be emailed to me within 24-48 hours. That was it - pretty simple.

Before they let me go they said they are required to ask why I wanted to upgrade. I said so I could use my phone on another carrier. Now, the waiting game begins.
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Default iPhone 4 and iPhone 3G unlock requested

I was on the phone for ~15-20 minutes. I have an iPhone 4 for which I paid my ETF last year when I had to cancel my contract as I was moving to Spain, and an iPhone 3G prior to that (which I upgraded to the 4). I requested the unlock for both.

First for the iPhone 4, they asked for the IMEI and they checked my eligibility. Then they submitted a case, saying that they need to get approval to issue the unlock code, and that I should expect the resolution of the case by April 16th!!!! So I guess I’ll have to wait… well, I’ve waited this long I guess I don’t mind another week…

Then they asked for the iPhone 3G IMEI and checked my eligibility again, and submitted another case with the same resolution date.

Let’s see how this pans out…
    iPhone Nanite

Did they give you an estimated date and they gave you the unlock code early? I called and they said estimated date was April 16th! Did they say that to you also?
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by lwu886 View Post
    Did they give you an estimated date and they gave you the unlock code early? I called and they said estimated date was April 16th! Did they say that to you also?
    They also gave me April 16th as estimate. And no, they didn't give me an unlock code. I just hope they set 4/16 as a sort of deadline but that I'll get it sooner...
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

I have a business account, which was opened in September 2011. I am still under contract with a Blackberry I purchased at that time. I also have an iPhone 4 which I purchased used through eBay and which was locked to ATT. I called to inquire about unlocking the iPhone and spoke to a business care rep this morning around 8:30 EST. She verified my eligibility and then I sat on hold for 45 minutes waiting for tech support to come on the line. He input all my information into his computer, but because I didn't purchase the iPhone through ATT directly and it wasn't attached to my number, he would have to open a ticket. He indicated I would hear back in 24-72 hours via an email with the instructions. Imagine my surprise 1 hour later when I got the email saying the unlock was completed and gave me instructions. I plugged the phone in to iTunes, and sure enough, 30 second later, the phone was unlocked.
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by iPhonejunkie3 View Post
    Today, 4/8/12, I called AT&T to unlock my contract free 3GS. Took 30 minutes on T's end to get the unlock code, and only 5 minutes to perform a backup and restore via iTunes. Interestingly enough, the phone number shows as NA in the iTunes screen. Same IMEI and ICCID if you click on the same spot.
    But did they give you the unlock immediately??
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by sjsplaty View Post
    I have a business account, which was opened in September 2011. I am still under contract with a Blackberry I purchased at that time. I also have an iPhone 4 which I purchased used through eBay and which was locked to ATT. I called to inquire about unlocking the iPhone and spoke to a business care rep this morning around 8:30 EST. She verified my eligibility and then I sat on hold for 45 minutes waiting for tech support to come on the line. He input all my information into his computer, but because I didn't purchase the iPhone through ATT directly and it wasn't attached to my number, he would have to open a ticket. He indicated I would hear back in 24-72 hours via an email with the instructions. Imagine my surprise 1 hour later when I got the email saying the unlock was completed and gave me instructions. I plugged the phone in to iTunes, and sure enough, 30 second later, the phone was unlocked.
    Around what time did you call? Was it early in the morning right when they opened? Because maybe they didn't have as many requests at that time. I also bought an iPhone 4 locked to ATT on ebay. Did you just give them your IMEI number and they sent the case?
    iPhone Nanite

---
    I am here:
    Did they give you an estimated unlock date?
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

Around what time did you call? Was it early in the morning right when they opened? Because maybe they didn't have as many requests at that time. I also bought an iPhone 4 locked to ATT on ebay. Did you just give them your IMEI number and they sent the case?
    I called at 8:30 this morning. I gave them my account info and my IMEI. That was it.
    iPhone Nanite

Just got off the phone. It was a 20-minute call with a lot of hold time. I got the same "should expect the resolution of the case by April 16th" answer. Bummer...
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Did they give you an estimated unlock date?
    No, I got everything completed today. I started the process around 12:40 pm, and received an email telling me to backup and restore at 1:18 pm.

---
    I am here:
    iPhone Nanite

No, I got everything completed today. I started the process around 12:40 pm, and received an email telling me to backup and restore at 1:18 pm.

---
    I am here:
    I guess you're special then haha. I started at 9:30 this morning and they gave me april 16th as the date. Did they give you a date?
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Were any of you guys able to complete the unlock without an AT&T sim card? I called AT&T, received their e-mail with the attached PDF with instructions of connecting to iTunes, backup and restore and did so, but when the iPhone restarts it asks for a valid sim card. I was not told about this, nor it says so in the PDF. Thank you!
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Basanez View Post
    Were any of you guys able to complete the unlock without an AT&T sim card? I called AT&T, received their e-mail with the attached PDF with instructions of connecting to iTunes, backup and restore and did so, but when the iPhone restarts it asks for a valid sim card. I was not told about this, nor it says so in the PDF. Thank you!
    My 3GS was already active on iOs 5.1 before doing the restore. I backed up and restored using my most recent backup and all was fine.

Did you remove your AT&T SIM card before restoring? I kept mine installed.

---
    I am here:
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I did not even have my SIM card installed, as I only have a microSIM card for my iPhone 4S. I guess I will have to get an adapter but it is such a hassle to do this just for the unlock. Thank you for the reply and the information!
    iPhone Newbie

can anyone most kindly give me the number to at&t cs? i live outside the US and I have an ip4 locked to at&t... lucky for me i have an unlimited international call plan to the US but i was wondering if anyone can give me the number to call and see how i can get a cs rep on the phone... i tried today with a number and i keep getting prompt by the automated system to insert an account number which i don't have since I am no at&t customer.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

post removed as I posted this in the wrong forum.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 04-09-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    iMore Newbie

Default iPhone 4s

has anyone tried to have an iphone 4s unlocked??? if so how and was it successful???
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dan_es_4 View Post
    has anyone tried to have an iphone 4s unlocked??? if so how and was it successful???
    When I called last night to request my iPhone 4 be unlocked, the rep asked me if I also wanted to unlock my 4S as well since I was eligible to have them both unlocked. However, I told him my 4S was already factory unlocked so it wasn't needed. I have read on other forums that people who paid full retail for their 4S were able to get their 4S unlocked. If you have the 4S just call AT&T and they'll let you know if you are eligible.

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Default Doesnt Exist

So I called ATT. The process was painless enough and the reps were very nice but after about 30 minutes, I was told that my 3GS was NOT eligible for an unlock because it didnt exist in the system. This 3GS that I used for 2 years and that I upgraded from has an IMEI that does not register in the system as having belonged to ANY ACCOUNT EVER.

Any ideas how this would happen. I swear I am not fooling. I used this pghone for 2 years. I'm not trying to scam ATT here. All I kept telling the agent was "That is impossible"

Could it be that I dont have a sim card installed right now? I removed it and have been using it as an iTouch.

Any ideas?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fdezarra View Post
    So I called ATT. The process was painless enough and the reps were very nice but after about 30 minutes, I was told that my 3GS was NOT eligible for an unlock because it didnt exist in the system. This 3GS that I used for 2 years and that I upgraded from has an IMEI that does not register in the system as having belonged to ANY ACCOUNT EVER.

Any ideas how this would happen. I swear I am not fooling. I used this pghone for 2 years. I'm not trying to scam ATT here. All I kept telling the agent was "That is impossible"

Could it be that I dont have a sim card installed right now? I removed it and have been using it as an iTouch.

Any ideas?
    One question AT&T asked me about my iPhone 4 is "was it used on your current AT&T wireless number"? Mine was so they were able to find it easily in their system. If yours wasn't that "could" be the issue here, but I can't say for sure.

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by aberrant.chicken View Post
    can anyone most kindly give me the number to at&t cs? i live outside the US and I have an ip4 locked to at&t... lucky for me i have an unlimited international call plan to the US but i was wondering if anyone can give me the number to call and see how i can get a cs rep on the phone... i tried today with a number and i keep getting prompt by the automated system to insert an account number which i don't have since I am no at&t customer.
    I called this number +1 (916) 843-4685 from Spain and I successfully got through after entering my phone number, failing to enter an account code (since I'm not a customer anymore) and selecting technical support.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast