Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default loss of apps after upgrading firmware????

I have the iphone 3sg as a gift from my son who has upgraded to iphone 4s. i am just newbie-i'm about to download some apps and i'm just wondering it says i need ios 4 or higher will i lose my installed apps? if i do lose them which ones? what do i have to do to get them back-i'm thinking the same way they were installed. will i lose anything else from the phone if i go ahead and download? thanks for any info.
    iPhone Nanite

7 Posts

your answer is no provided you backup the device in itunes. get your son to backup the device for you. if you are jailbroken, there are cydia apps for that like aptbackup or pkgbackup, both of which are good (there are tutorials for that)
    if you have an old bootrom model (YAY!!!) then you can upgrade to 5.1 and have an untethered jailbreak using sn0wbreeze (latest edition). If you have the new bootrom then your out of luck unless it is already jailbroken then saved blobs plus custom fw made by redsn0w (stitched blobs). i didnt like 5.0.1 on the 3GS as it ate alot of battery on mine ( maybe just an issue on mine only, not sure) and am sitting on 4.3.3 for the jailbreakme win
    the latest redsn0w can retrieve and forward the blobs to cydia.
    hope this helps.