iPhone 4 vs IPhone 3GS using 3G only. Speed differences noticeble ?

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Hey all. Just wanting some testimonials on the guys who have owned both phones & kept the same service. My question is concerning only Internet usage & streaming videos from netflix or YouTube. Most all videos i see comparing the 2 phones use a wifi connection. Which will not be an option. My pc I use a bad ass comcast cable modem with the upgrade on a new compaq presario so I can't go a wifi route that will hang with this modem & speeds, but that's off topic. Now i read the iphone 4 adds 3G HSUPA and HSDPA 7.2. Does that mean even under the same software that the 3GS isn't getting the same 3G speeds as the ip4 is? Now I know the ip4 is double everything in specs as the 3Gs. Ram, processor, etc but under 3G only conditions is the ip4 gonna wow me after using my 3GS for 18 months? Service is AT&T in Chattanooga, tn (southeast, tn)

Ps earlier in the week my debate was ip4 or Samsung captivate. That was quickly changed to ip4 definately. Now my debate is ip4 now if data speeds will be noticeable or wait on the ip5 cause we all know Apple will blow our freaking minds with the new phone in June/July.

Thanks in advance
Josh

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I went FROM a 3GS to the iPhone 4...and i think my initial reaction was primarily because the iPhone 4 was so new and had the new features and what not, so the speed "seemed" faster. After selling the iPhone 4, and going back to the 3GS...i can honestly say that the speed difference is negligible, they feel almost identical while browsing the net on WiFi or 3G, and honestly, not to say there IS an improvement with the 3GS, but ever since i switched back, i felt like my tethering speed with 3G has been better than it was on my iPhone 4 (i have no base line proof of this, just going on my general observation from constant use throughout the week).

As far as the processing speed of the phone...this, again, has been negligible at best in my experience. My 3GS feels like it performs as well as my wife's iPhone 4 (and my previous iP4), i put my wife's against my 3GS side by side on both WiFi and 3G, and the websites were loading maybe a fraction of a second quicker on her phone SOMETIMES (other times it was the opposite result).

As far as speed goes, both in internet/data usage AND performance of the phone itself...there is not a noticeable difference between the two phones...and we are in a very good AT&T market (Atlanta) so i know outside factors are not really coming into play much when comparing them. The iPhone 4 is an EPICALLY better phone in many ways, but when it comes to speeds in various facets, the 3GS holds its own quite easily.

And i also agree with the previous post...i personally would wait for the iPhone 5 since you have a matter of a few months left before its (hopeful) release. Not to say it will be substantially better than the iPhone 4, but if you were going to get a discounted rate on a phone upgrade, might as well get the best one available, right?

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I've compared my iP4 to my bro's 3GS and my old 3G. It is noticably faster than the 3G but the 3GS there isn't that much difference processor wise and data speeds. You can really only tell between the 3GS when you get a lot of apps open and eat up the RAM and transitions on the 3GS get a little choppy but that's about it compared to the iP4.

As for data speeds they are identical for EDGE, 3G, and Wifi. AT&T claims to have 7.2 speeds some where in the US but I have yet to come across it.

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Firstly, as another commenter mentioned I would suggest you wait for the iPhone 5 to be released.

Second, 3G speeds are identical EXCEPT for upload speeds, which can go up to 5mbps on the iPhone 4, rather than 200kbps on the 3GS.

In regards to processing speed, the reason why the iPhone 4 and the 3GS do things at a similar speed is because the iPhone 4 is pushing out 4x the resolution with way less than 2x the processing power. That resolution to me is worth it, though.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
In regards to processing speed, the reason why the iPhone 4 and the 3GS do things at a similar speed is because the iPhone 4 is pushing out 4x the resolution with way less than 2x the processing power. That resolution to me is worth it, though.

exactly! i was paying around a friends 3GS over the weekend and the graphics were looking a little dated, tbh

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
While i don't agree that the difference between graphics on the 3GS and iPhone 4 is some earth shattering experience, the improvement is very obvious, especially at any angle outside straight dead on...the retina display was one of the shining features of the iPhone 4, but the 3GS is deff not an eye sore by any means, and is a substantial improvement over the 3G.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
While i don't agree that the difference between graphics on the 3GS and iPhone 4 is some earth shattering experience, the improvement is very obvious, especially at any angle outside straight dead on...the retina display was one of the shining features of the iPhone 4, but the 3GS is deff not an eye sore by any means, and is a substantial improvement over the 3G.

Did I say that? No.
I said it was worth the iPhone 4 performing at roughly the same speed as the 3GS rather than being faster but at the same low resolution.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mr. sensitive! lol...i was just conversing, relax and drink a beer or something. I understood what you said, i was retorting...continuing the conversation if you will (and more specifically responding to the post above mine about the screen looking dated).

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I think it's brilliant how apple kept the iPhone 4 running about the same "tad faster" and was able to add the retina display without any lag. Aside from the difference in screen quality I think the 3GS is a great device. I will be honest though, the screen on the 3GS does not compete with the iPhone 4 and most of the smart phones that are currently on the market.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen