iPhone 3GS totally unresponsive

nnjz

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I just bought a used iPhone 3GS over craigslist a few days ago. The phone initially turned on, and I jailbroke and unlocked it on 4.2.1 using 06.15.00 (iPad firmware).

The phone worked great until I let the battery die completely today. I tried charging it using the USB cable and the wall outlet adapter, but the screen remained unresponsive. It doesn't turn on or charge.

Holding the power button does nothing, not even flash the red battery symbol with the lightning bolt that usually pops up when the battery is dead. It just does nothing.

So, I tried connecting it to my laptop via USB. It isn't recognized by iTunes or my computer, nor is the device driver loaded (checked device manager - no Apple Driver under USB Devices). And of course, the phone does not charge.

Incidentally, while searching for a solution, I left my iPhone connected. It remained unresponsive, but when I picked it up, the back of the phone was warm like it had been charging.

The phone is out of warranty, so what could I do? Is the phone broken (a hardware issue?), a software issue, or something else? (It would be great to blame the usb cable, but that doesnt explain why the red battery symbol doesn't show on screen when I press the power button).

Any help would be appreciated!
NNJZ

P.S - A cold boot didn't work either.

Batting1000

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
What did you use to jailbreak? You might have done a tethered jailbreak, meaning it has to be connected to the jailbreak program to boot back up.

nnjz

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yet, the phone was warm when the phone was plugged in, as if it were charging (although was still undetected by itunes/computer - no apple drivers loaded either - and still wouldnt turn on)

if a simple dead battery is all that it is, I would be ecstatic. How likely is this given the above information? (*crosses fingers*)

Batting1000

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
No, he means the battery is literally dead, not just out of charge, that's why it isn't showing up in iTunes. If it was only out of charge, it would show up in iTunes because it would be charging, etc.

Reactions: nnjz

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Of course.. take a wall charger for anything besides an iphone... they get warm and they aren't connected to anything... same as true for a battery that won't charge.. it's getting warm from the current going into it... it just won't stay... why it was safe to assume the charger was good, and usb cable... nothing really went wrong until you let the battery die.... sounds like a good place to start with trying to repair it since it's out of warranty

nnjz

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
then my next question :

I understand that the iphone ships out with a 1150mAh battery. I also understand that the 1600mAh batteries sold online are usually sub par quality.

I want to get the most out of this phone, so I would like to replace the battery with a high quality battery, preferably 1600mAh (or better) if possible. I know there are several listings online, but most are from china or another Asian country, and is usually sub par (read: lead paint in children's toys).

Is there any high quality battery (rated better than the 1150mAh one shipped out with the phone) that I could buy to replace with the phone, that is known to be good quality?

(if not, anyone know where I can buy an original iphone 3gs - apple brand- battery for cheap?)

Thanks,
NNJZ

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711