Didn't do first battery drain properly on iPhone 3GS. Any long term effects?

BigshotMD

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Alright, just a bit paranoid and probably shouldn't be as I know that Lithium Ion batteries have no memory, but rather need to be calibrated every now and again. But I just bought my iPhone not too long ago!

Just wondering about this first charge and drain cycle. Yes, did my first charge properly. Then i started draining the iphone battery. Then it was around 2%, then I decided to stupidly turn it off. It won't turn back on....too low on battery I assume.

So does that mean I didn't cycle the battery properly? I guess I'll have to do it all over again if it doesn't:-(

And secondly, will this have any effect (long or short term) on the battery being the first charge/drain cycle?

Cheers.

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
No problems :) I should imagine your 'phone was about to switch off in any case - it usually does before it discharges completely. Just put it on charge until it reaches 100%.

Repeat this procedure once a month and all should be well.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
there's no such thing as battery drain needs with lithium ion batteries.

let me repeat that. You DON'T NEED to do anything special.

you don't need to discharge at a regular point.

Lithium Ion batteries have built-in circuitry to handle the charge amount and calibration. basically, there's no such calibration you need to do. it does it for you every time you charge.

now, minimizing your number of charge cycles does have one benefit. Lithium Ion batteries do have a life span. If you wait as long as you can to charge you help with this, but if you have to charge at 50% in the middle of the day because you won't have access to a charger until long after you'd be at 0% otherwise, you won't have any issues for months or years.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Just wondering about this first charge and drain cycle. Yes, did my first charge properly. Then i started draining the iphone battery. Then it was around 2%, then I decided to stupidly turn it off. It won't turn back on....too low on battery I assume.

So does that mean I didn't cycle the battery properly? I guess I'll have to do it all over again if it doesn't:-(

And secondly, will this have any effect (long or short term) on the battery being the first charge/drain cycle?

OMG, you have ruined your phone. How dare you not follow Chairman Mao's demands. Just do another cycle whenever you can. It's not a big deal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711